DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crop Circle filming then Mavic went nuts !!

iocassieopia

Reactions
Hi guys

I’ve had my Mavic for over a year and I’ve done absolutely loads of amazing flights with it

Yesterday it all went a bit weird
I was in Wiltshire and I found a crop Circle so I decided to do a video of it.
I popped on an ND32 filter so I could get a nice shutter speed and off I went

Anyway after filming the crop Circle for around 9 minutes from various angles I though I heard gunshots. Now I know from the internet that the farmer was very unhappy about this crop Circle and had warned people to stay away

I flicked the Mavic to sport mode and quickly tried to gain height and get away from the field all the time hearing gunshots

Then stuff got weird.

My Mavic started what looked like barrel rolling. It went nose down, then nose up, appeared to be completely out of control
The screen went black at the same time
I was convinced the farmer had shot it down so was trying to get a visual of where it came down

However I was still getting the odd flicker of video that showed it was still flying, all be it randomly

I did the last resort and hit the RTH as I couldn’t control it

Low and behold it just flew straight back home perfectly and landed without issue

I have absolutely no idea what happened here, was it aliens lol
Anyway it’s the first time my Mavic has ever done anything like this

I’d love to do an analysis of the flight to see what happened but I know some of you guys on here are much much better at this stuff, could someone let me know if they could look at it for me and see what happened. Let me know what files you need etc. And I’ll download them

Thanks guys

Oh by the way, the video stopped recording at the point it went nuts, I went into what I ‘think’ is the video cache and there’s about 3 seconds of it acting randomly

I’d love to do an analysis of the flight to see what happened but I know some of you guys on here are much much better at this stuff, could someone let me know if they could look at it for me and see what happened.
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I've had a good look through the log and the CSV file and I'm clueless as to whats happened here
There were no warnings or alarms or anything, I had plenty of sats locked

I downloaded the Video Cache, I thought it was supposed to record EVERYTHING. The video actually cuts off just before it went wild then there's literally three seconds of footage when it was behaving weird

Heres the three seconds

Any help on this would be massively appreciated, I've totally lost faith in my Mavic now and I'm wondering if it has something wrong with it

Cheers

I added a link to the files in the previous post, I hit the RTH in panic at 9m 35.6s, it seemed to be ok from that point
I reckon things went wrong from about the 9m 26s mark as thats when the speed stopped

Please help lol !

Could someone tell me also why I don’t have any video in the cache of what happened. I thought the whole point of the video cache was that EVERYTHING is recorded. It only seems to store video when I’m actually recording video, and when this event occurred it stopped recording all bar three seconds
I never told it to stop recording

From my perspective, this looks like a gimbal reset. Mine has done it. Were you recording in 4k and hit about the 9 minute mark? Seems to be a pattern. It's the gimbal and not the bird (should be flying fine)

From my perspective, this looks like a gimbal reset. Mine has done it. Were you recording in 4k and hit about the 9 minute mark? Seems to be a pattern. It's the gimbal and not the bird (should be flying fine)

What you’re saying makes sense and I was shooting 4K for just over 9 minutes
It’s a bit worrying that a gimbal reset occurs mid flight though, I obviously thought the drone was malfunctioning and started to panic
Is this a software or firmware bug?
It’s a bit crappy for a bug like this to exist

I kept running into the same issue. And scared the crap out of me thinking the bird was out if control. After researching it, I came across several common factors (the 4K at 9 minutes). Perhaps one of the tech guys on here can correct me but I think it actually has to do with the file size (500mb) and the filesystem used by the card. For this reason, it may not be a DJI issue...just technology limits. If you stop and start the video, it should rectify it.

I would also agree to a gimbal reset. This might have been triggered by switching to sports mode and then pushing the pitch stick fully forward for full acceleration, with the Mavic's pitch angle getting bigger than the gimbal can compensate.

I had this very thing happen to me. I would have swore I got hit by a bird. The flight log on the DJI GO 4 app is missing as well as the video. Not sure how to get to the 'txt' files to see if anything is there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+