DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crossing a country where drones are banned

MrRobville

Reactions
Hopefully this is the correct place to ask.
I'm planning on going on an overland world trip in the near future by car, for which I'd like to bring my Mavic Air with me. This causes some problems with a few countries that outright ban drones which I'll have to pass through.

First of all, I want to make it clear that I only intent to fly when and where it is allowed. However, it still means that I always have to carry my quad with me within restricted countries as I cannot make it disappear into thin air at the border. Case in point, Nicaragua for example, and as of late, Mexico as well.

What I want to ask is, does anyone have any experience with taking their quad through a country where they are banned? And have you been able to succesfully do so? Would I have to attempt getting a permit of some sort (which I reckon is a nigh impossible paperwork nightmare) or would I be off best just stowing it deep inside the car and hoping for the best?

Reactions: Big buzzer
Hopefully this is the correct place to ask.
I'm planning on going on an overland world trip in the near future by car, for which I'd like to bring my Mavic Air with me. This causes some problems with a few countries that outright ban drones which I'll have to pass through.

First of all, I want to make it clear that I only intent to fly when and where it is allowed. However, it still means that I always have to carry my quad with me within restricted countries as I cannot make it disappear into thin air at the border. Case in point, Nicaragua for example, and as of late, Mexico as well.

What I want to ask is, does anyone have any experience with taking their quad through a country where they are banned? And have you been able to succesfully do so? Would I have to attempt getting a permit of some sort (which I reckon is a nigh impossible paperwork nightmare) or would I be off best just stowing it deep inside the car and hoping for the best?

If you stow it deep inside the bowels of your vehicle and you are given a declaration to sign that says you have no restricted/banned items etc - what will you tick on the form?

"Yes" - which means they will ask what. Then you would wave goodbye to your drone.
or
"No" and if your car gets pulled aside and they find it you can wave goodbye to your loved ones for a few years!

Is Fedexing onward to a non restricted destination an option and picking up once you have left the hostile country?

Is it possible to mail the drone ahead ? Say to a friend or hotel? If so, I'd keep the batteries in the car during the trip and avoid hazmat mail/shipping issues with them.

If you can't send the drone ahead, I'd leave it at home. The risks don't out weigh the benefits. Being basically lazy myself, I don't think going thru the wavier/permitting process is worth the time and hassle either. The Federal gov't may issue a permit but that doesn't mean the local officer you're in front of got the memo.

I appreciate the replies.

I fear that's the reality I'm facing here. And agreeably, nothing is worth risking jailtime.
What I do wonder though about a country such as Mexico, is if they'll seize it at the border or if I'm just not allowed to fly it. It's something that'll require some reading into.
With countries like India it is rather vague also. It seems you need a lot of paperwork, but all of that information is of course related to the intention of flying rather than just shipping it.

In Nicaragua's case, it specifically mentions that import is prohibited. Considering that the country is at unrest at the moment, and not being too great of size, I'd suppose it's best for my partner to fly over to Guatemala with the quad while I traverse overland in a "straight" line.

Unless you have good contacts at the very high level, there is no way to fly a dron in restless Nicaragua!

As I mentioned, I have no interest in flying a drone where not allowed. My question is purely about dealing with crossing through a prohibited country while carrying a drone. Regardless of flying. If driving around Nicaragua was an option, I would.

A $20 handshake will usually get you out of any sticky situation in Mexico. Except with the Federales. With those guys it's more likely to get you a trip to the slammer. Honestly if you are going all over South America you probably will end up dead in a ditch regardless of what you do so I'd say go out in style and just smuggle your Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum