Join Us Now

crossing a NFZ what will happen

goixiz

Reactions
Picture from Airmap
I assume the red areas are NO FLY ZONES
For my Info so i dont loose my AC.

I would like to fly following the blue line i drew on the map
1. What will happen to the drone if i were to cross over the river(assume 50m above takeoff pt)
2. What approvals do i have to go thru to flyover (not hover) Recreational owner

TIAupload_2018-7-6_9-30-8.png

if that is a NFZ in the DJI GEO fencing database then the drone will just stop at the edge and refuse to cross the river.
If this is a NFZ that is not in the DJI GEO fencing database, then the drone will just fly over the river as if nothing happened. However if is really is a prohibited area you do break the law/regulations by flying that route.

Reactions: goixiz
This is the Chattachoochee River National Recreational Area, NPS land. It is not prohibited to fly over, and nothing will happen if you fly over that area.
It is shown on AirMap as restricted because takeoff and landing is prohibited in these areas by the NPS.

if that is a NFZ in the DJI GEO fencing database then the drone will just stop at the edge and refuse to cross the river.
If this is a NFZ that is not in the DJI GEO fencing database, then the drone will just fly over the river as if nothing happened. However if is really is a prohibited area you do break the law/regulations by flying that route.
It’s NPS land and perfectly legal to fly over. Takeoffs and landings are prohibited.

This is the Chattachoochee River National Recreational Area, NPS land. It is not prohibited to fly over, and nothing will happen if you fly over that area.
It is shown on AirMap as restricted because takeoff and landing is prohibited in these areas by the NPS.
Thank you
Yes thats from AirMap thats what i use before i fly in a new area
Is there a better PC software to look at flight planning before i depart to fly my drone ? Thanks in advance

Thank you
Yes thats from AirMap thats what i use before i fly in a new area
Is there a better PC software to look at flight planning before i depart to fly my drone ? Thanks in advance
FAA facility maps are the best source of what is legal and what isn’t.
ArcGIS Web Application
Keep in mind, This source provides information on AIRSPACE restriction, not ground, so some research is still necessary from other sources to determine if your okay to takeoff and land at that particular location.
Bottom line, it’s still complicated, and no one source is going to give you everything you need.

Last edited:
HOw come the AirData and Geo fencing have different restrictions ?

Geo fencing has no restrictions where i plan to fly

upload_2018-7-6_11-35-47.png

HOw come the AirData and Geo fencing have different restrictions ?

Geo fencing has no restrictions where i plan to fly

View attachment 41451
@beachcombing is correct. They serve different purposes and provide different information to the user. In this case, Airmap is giving you advisory information about restricted areas to fly from, and since it is not restricted airspace, Geo doesn't really care if you fly there or not.

I watched a YouTube vid about flying into a No Fly Zone. The drone just stopped and wouldn’t cross into the NFZ, but the pilot was able to fly back home no problem.
May be a little off topic, but I went to fly my Spark in back yard other day, didn’t get GPS lock till I cleared trees and got a good GPS lock. When it did got a “Restricted Area, Auto Landing”. (TFR because Trump was in NJ near me, well like an hour away by car!)
I still had control during the landing, was under 50 feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121