DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cruise Conundrum - Take drone or leave drone home?

If there is another cruise company going to Auckland that will let you take the drone, even if locked up, I would go with that company.

If there is another cruise company going to Auckland that will let you take the drone, even if locked up, I would go with that company.
Not so simple. Going with wife, and sister/brother in-law. As previous Oceania cruisers' we have many perks. As mentioned in previous message, will take it om board, Mavic 2 folded up in camera bag with DSLR, as believe it's unlikely to be confiscated and not returned at end of cruise at worst.

Reactions: anotherlab
Cancel the cruise, since a company that makes such a rule isn't competent, the cruse wouldn't be any fun being on a ship run by such.

Cancel the cruise, since a company that makes such a rule isn't competent, the cruse wouldn't be any fun being on a ship run by such.
Blanket statement. Have you ever cruised? All cruise lines ban quadcopters though some say they will store them.

As for fun and competence, we have experienced cruises on 5 different lines (Princess, Azamara, Norwegian, Celebrity and Oceania). The Princess and Norwegian lines are okay, but the others offer superior amenities in terms of service, comfort, food and amenities.

Which would you rank number one?
The 3 are pretty equal in amenities. Celebrity has larger ships though not the huge mega liners that carry 4k-5k passengers. We cruised the Celebrity Solstice about 2800. The Azamara and Oceania ships we were on carry about 700 passengers. The bigger ships have more restaurants to choose from, more pools and larger health clubs. However, you'll find yourself walking more between the facilities and being larger you'll have to take a tender into ports as they are too big to dock at some. The smaller ships are more intimate. We found the food choices to be more than adequate. These smaller ships are more accessible to remote locations. We took an Oceania to Polynesia and it easily got into small harbors.

I'm taking an Australia to NZ cruise February 2022. Planning 5 days of land tours pre-cruise aa well as post-cruise. Biggest problem is cruise line (Oceania) forbids taking drones on board under any circumstances. Reached out to the Executive Offices and was told the ship will not hold the drone until disembarkation.

3 thoughts at this time:
1. Try to sneak folded Mavic 2 Pro on board and risk confiscation.
2. Before boarding ship in Australia send the drone home via parcel service.
3. Attempt to contact ship's captain to ask if the drone can be held on the ship until disembarking.

Anyone actually faced this issue and have a solution?
No contest: Leave the drone at home! If your cruise is so boring that you need the excitement of flying a drone: Don't go on such a cruise.

Reactions: hiflyer201
No contest: Leave the drone at home! If your cruise is so boring that you need the excitement of flying a drone: Don't go on such a cruise.
I'm one of those persons who can walk and chew gum at the same time. :) Cruising affords many onboard amenities to partake such as food, health club, spa, gaming and all kinds of entertainment. Besides availing myself of these aforementioned, day excursions at ports of many Countries/Cities are not only enjoyed for cultural enrichment but for photography purposes. Click Here to see examples on my web site.

Photography does not get in my way of enjoying experiences at different ports as I am very fast and wife is supportive of the few minutes here and there taken to compose a photo. In addition, having a Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller means the drone is in the air within one minute of unfolding the arms. My whole photo kit is in an effortless to carry MountainSmith Sling bag which comfortably sits in the nook of the back when hiking. When a camera is wanted, it swings around to the front and allows access to cameras in less than 10 seconds. See attached showing what goes in:
  • Mavic 2 Pro w/SC and 3 batteries
  • Olympus OMD Mark i DSLR with 12-40mm zoom lens
  • Olympus 40-150mm telephoto
  • Nikon Binoculars
  • Camera and drone accessories (filters etc.)
  • FAA vest
  • Side pocket for water or tripod

Attachments

• ClosedBag.jpg
    ClosedBag.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • FrontPocket.jpg
    FrontPocket.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • OpenTop.jpg
    OpenTop.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • OutofBag.jpg
    OutofBag.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: The Fat Controller
I'm one of those persons who can walk and chew gum at the same time. :) Cruising affords many onboard amenities to partake such as food, health club, spa, gaming and all kinds of entertainment. Besides availing myself of these aforementioned, day excursions at ports of many Countries/Cities are not only enjoyed for cultural enrichment but for photography purposes. Click Here to see examples on my web site.

Photography does not get in my way of enjoying experiences at different ports as I am very fast and wife is supportive of the few minutes here and there taken to compose a photo. In addition, having a Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller means the drone is in the air within one minute of unfolding the arms. My whole photo kit is in an effortless to carry MountainSmith Sling bag which comfortably sits in the nook of the back when hiking. When a camera is wanted, it swings around to the front and allows access to cameras in less than 10 seconds. See attached showing what goes in:
  • Mavic 2 Pro w/SC and 3 batteries
  • Olympus OMD Mark i DSLR with 12-40mm zoom lens
  • Olympus 40-150mm telephoto
  • Nikon Binoculars
  • Camera and drone accessories (filters etc.)
  • FAA vest
  • Side pocket for water or tripod
Marty, you've got an excellent collection of gear - I really like it. However, on a personal note, in my case, my wife would refuse to carry it. ;) - Sigi

there are several reasons ,that cruise ships have against taking a drone on board ,
(1) the possibility that the type of batteries used in a drone ,could under extreme circumstances cause a fire on board the ship
(2) the privacy of others if the drone was used to film them
(3) the liability aspect if the drone was used in a country where they are banned or special rules apply to enable them to fly there
and on and on the list could go ,so its just easier for them to prohibit them, and then in their eyes the,many issue real or imagined have been removed

First, The battery issue is somewhat of a moot point unless there is an actual recall on things like the Galaxy phone.

Second, it's the drone operators' responsibility to know the rules, laws, and regulations of where they are flying. (NOT the cruises) So, if you fly in a location you're not supposed to, you're subject to the consequences, etc.

Third - Airlines allow drones all the time. I fly with drones all over the world without issues.

At this time, cruises are still trying to catch up with the times. The only two that will allow them are Carnival and Royal Caribbean. You have to keep them in your cabin at all times or check them with security. They will then give you them when you get off at the ports. It's up to you to know the laws of the location you fly.

Last edited:
As for cruises, I’ve considered taking my Spark and I always take my mirrorless plus a lens or two, but my best shots are generally those taken with my phone. I’ve never missed my drone. I always take my drone on other travels.

First, The battery issue is somewhat of mute point unless there is an actual recall on things like the Galaxy phone.

Second, it's the drone operators responsibility to know the rules, laws and regulations of where they are flying. (NOT the cruises) So, if you fly in a location you're not supposed to you're subject to the consequences, etc.

Third - Airlines allow drones all the time. I fly with drones all over the world without issues.

At this time, I cruises are simply still trying to catch up with the times. The only two that will allow them are Carnival and Royal Caribbean.
Celebrity which of course is part of Royal Caribbean also has a very reasonable drone policy… we took a cruise in 2018 in New Zealand and Australia. They confiscated my drone and told me I could pick it up at security when I wanted to use it. When I got to my room, there was a call from security and just said come down and pick it up. Please don't use it on the ship. I had originally booked Princess cruises which is of the mindset of "stay off my grass you **** kids" in their drone policy and they would confiscated and supposedly not even return it if you try to get it on board. So we switch to Celebrity were very happy..

This Past summer we had some friends that were going on princess and of course they hadn't changed their drone policy any and I called several people and no one would make any allotment… Even when I offered to turn in my drone to security and only take it when I go off the ship.… Then the funny thing was I saw a kid flying a drone on the beach on one of our excursions. I asked what cruise line he was on he said princess and he just snuck it on… It was a Mavic mini 2. Maybe if we just started calling drones aerial cameras, the general public wouldn't be so leery of them.

Also flying a drone off of a boat would really be risky as all the metal really would mess with your GPS and compass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N