DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal Sky High vs Ultra

Photoman482

Reactions
I want to get the 7 inch CS. Do I really need the Ultra or will the High do? BH Photo says the Ultra has been discontinued by DJI doesnt say that.

I think they had trouble with the Ultra heating up.

I have the 7.85 Ultra and was able to compare it to a High Brightness model. I could have saved money with the High but it was outdone by the Ultra in direct sunlight so I forked over the extra $ and bought the Ultra.

No overheating issues experienced. That said, the latest CS update changed the parameters for the cooling fan(s).

Same here. No heat issues since the update. That said, now I fly under shade in very hot weather so I avoid standing in direct sun if it's hotter than about 90 degrees out. The Ultra is quite a bit brighter and it just makes it so much easier on my old eyes.

I have the Ultra, no issues with overheating and does extremely well in direct sunlight.

Out of all the CS models, the 7.5 Ultra has had all the backlight failures, some after a only few minutes on full brightness, some 7.5 Ultra owners were having multiple failures with warranty replacement units as well
I've not heard about any of the high brightness units failing in the same way but they might be out of production as they haven't been available from the DJI store for a while.

The CS was released in 2017 it still uses android 5.1.1 which is effectively out of date, in comparison other android 64 bit phones and tablets are running on Android 10 (Q)
I don't see DJI ever updating the Android OS.
The customised version of 5.1.1 used by the CS range prevents you from using the Google play store and apps that require license/ purchase verification. e.g paid apps
Additional unbundled software can only be sideloaded and are not guaranteed to work as they may require the googles services that can't run without issue in the CS's modified android environment.
Unfortuantley the CS is limited to what android apps it can run and it is trial and error to get a them working

The Crystal Sky has never been updated and well supported by DJI, in fact it has been updated only once in the last 18 months in Dec 2019.
The current CS version of DJI Go 4 is 4.3.16 and this is over a year old already, other android and the IOS versions of the flight app are at 4.3.28.
The older CS 32 bit architecture means you can't run the DJI Fly 64 bit software for the Mavic Mini.
As newer DJI flight software will follow the 64 bit trend required by Google for the play store, the CS architecture will not be able to support newer DJI drones, effectively making the product line obsolete.
DJI have effectively moved on and forgotten about this product as we now see with their focus on the Smart Controller using the 5.5 high brightness panel, for example DJI Go 4 on the SC has been updated to 4.3.28

I have both the 5.5 high brightness and the 7.5 Ultra.
The Ultra is only used at 50% brightness, there is a risk of the backlight burning out due to reflow from the extra heat generated by the panel at maximum brightness.
For me the Ultra is only operating as a high brightness unit and I regret spending the extra for it.
The negative impact is also reinforced by the significantly lowered resale value of the 7.5 Ultra, no one wants to buy a unit that could fail at any moment due to the numerous issues reported.
I now only ever use the the 5.5 when flying by myself, the 7.5 Ultra is bulky and heavy creating an awkward form factor.

Head over to the DJI official forum to read about the litany of issues with the CS Ultra and DJI's lack of support for the CS product line.

From my personal experience, the recommendation is to stay away from the Crystal Sky Ultra , it was rushed on to the market without fully testing the hardware under stress and now only so much can be done to resolve the hardware issues, like making the fans come on earlier etc. through the rare firmware updates. The techincal obsolescence and the lack of support should also steer you away from the other CS models as well.

For a larger screen, I'd actually recommend an Ipad Mini 5 with a hood, it will work with latest versions of DJI Go 4 and DJI Fly and it will be future proof due to the 64 bit architecture most of the ipads have except for earliest models.

I have a Ipad Mini 4 that has worked perfectly with every DJI drone I have (MM, MA, MP, MPP, Spark and P4P) in 4 years it has never glitched or crashed once with either DJI Go4 or DJI Fly.
The Mini 4 is the furthest back you want to go as earlier models don't have the processing power to run DJI Go 4 if you are planning to use it.
The other advantage is that you have full access to the Apple App-store and its apps, which all work perfectly.
DJI is also very aligned with Apple and the flight software is much more robust working on the less variable and controlled IOS platform.

Last edited:
I want to get the 7 inch CS. Do I really need the Ultra or will the High do? BH Photo says the Ultra has been discontinued by DJI doesnt say that.
I own a ultra..no issues at all. I have been using it since I have had my MP2.

I have used it in the summer and winter months, traveling around the county. I fly a mavic air also.

I love it.

Mine was one of the first produced along with a couple other friends who purchased a month or so after the ultra was released. None of us have had any issues except the one time in very hot weather when I was standing in full sunlight about 6 months after purchase. I did upgrade the whole system after that incident in a hope that DJI had offered a fix from what members here suggested. No I don't know if the fans were or were not addressed but as I posted above, I started to fly under shade. I run it as bright as I can and haven't had any other issues since but it might be important to note that I avoid heat at all costs. I have not TRIED to get it to overheat by subjecting it to harsh weather so it still may or may not fail. I don't know. I do know my phone will overheat if left in direct sunlight on a hot day.

That said I hate how DJI works obsolescence. Nothing works together such as controllers, chargers, batteries and accessories. So I agree the Crystal Sky has been left behind but my guess is that the smart controller will also be obsolete to newly released aircraft in the near future. This has kept me from purchasing DJI products because of the cost to practically start over from scratch every time you buy a new quad. The 5.5 CS I also own has never had heat issues even in very hot weather but that little screen is very difficult for me to see size wise and more similar to a phone.

The ultra right has not been needed by me in the Arizona sun, my experience is the either 7.85 will need a hood here for optimal use. My advice... get a regular 7.85 CS and a folding hood, which is a great screen protector when folded, and save the money for other accessories. Love my CS.

I had an early version of the ultra 7.5, it did burn out after a few uses. DJI replaced it and I have used the replacement for 2 years or so and have had no problems. When I compare the size and brightness to my smart controller monitor screen I much prefer the large ultra. I am not very interested in using it for anything but to fly my Mavic 2 pro.

My original CS (2017) was replaced by DJI and I haven't had any problems since. I live in Florida where it gets extremely hot in the Summer. The unit itself does get very hot to the touch but no problems. Could someone tell me what the update is from December 2019. Thanks.

My original CS (2017) was replaced by DJI and I haven't had any problems since. I live in Florida where it gets extremely hot in the Summer. The unit itself does get very hot to the touch but no problems. Could someone tell me what the update is from December 2019. Thanks.
I think that was a thing called “Flysafe Database”... Google will tell the rest.

What's New?
  • Updated the DJI GO 4 app to version 4.3.16. - (released over 1 year ago, current version is 4.3.28)
  • Updated the DJI Pilot Beta app to version 1.6.1. - (support for MAVIC 2 Enterprise, Matrice series, and Phantom 4 RTK , but apparently it does not work well)
  • Optimized system stability. - (restriction on side loading apps)
  • Optimized the performance of CrystalSky in high-temperature environments. - (the fan comes on earlier)
  • Optimized video transmission. - (reduces the frame rate on the display as the CS processor can't handle the video feed)

Note:
  • DO NOT revert to an earlier firmware version after updating to v3.0.2.0. Otherwise, CrystalSky will malfunction and the user will be required to contact DJI After-Sales for support.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4