DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky & Nanuk 920

G

Guest232

I recently picked up the CrystalSky 5.5 and it was my hope that I could get it into the Nanuk 920 case that I had purchased for my Mavic. Portability is important to me -- I like to have everything I need in one place. I know that this won't work for everyone (especially if you have more than 3 Mavic batteries or more than 1 CrystalSky battery), but I thought I would take a moment to share in the event that others thinking of the CrystalSky are wondering if it'll fit in the case they have.

I decided to go with the charger for the Phantom 4 and the "Advanced" version of the Mavic battery charing hub as this combination allows me to charge the batteries for the Mavic and the battery for the CrystalSky. You'll see in my picture that I also have a USB charging hub (for the Mavic controller), but this may very well be redundant/unnecessary as the battery charging dock for the CrystalSky battery has a USB port on it that charged my Mavic controller just fine.

So, in the Nanuk 920 I have the following...
  • Mavic with Battery #1
  • Mavic Controller
  • Phantom 4 Charger + AC Cable
  • CrystalSky 5.5 with Evolution 3D Base (Attached)
  • Advanced Mavic Battery Charing Hub
  • Cables
    • 1 to connect the controller & CrystalSky
    • 1 to charge the Mavic controller
  • USB Charger
    • This is for the controller, but appears to be redundant as there is a USB port on the battery charging dock for the CrystalSky battery.
  • Spare Batteries
    • I only have a total of 3 batteries.
  • Evolution 3D Mount
  • CrystalSky Battery & Charing Dock
There is no room for anything else, but this compact setup allows me to travel with everything I need in one small case (that happens to fit under the seat in front of me when I fly for work). If I buy anymore Mavic gadgets, then I'll be up a creek! :)

Hope some other perspective Mavic/CrystalSky owners find this helpful.

Fwiw... I was previously using an iPhone 6s Plus and the CrystalSky 5.5 is superior. I do wish I could load Litchi on it -- at present, that is the only downside I am experiencing.
View media item 1228

Thanks for the post. Is the size of the phantom 4 charger similar to the mavic charger?

Yes, it is larger. Depending on your perspective, it is about 1" taller and 1/2" wider. They are the same thickness.

Hopefully, the attached photo will give you some perspective. Not my best photography work, but it'll do. :)

e0b3a6c3364ab841938d48e0fe453109.jpg

This is awesome to see and hear.
Just so happens I've got the same set up waiting for me for the weekend and to see that the CSky fits the case with the Evo 3D mount still attached is great news.
I was thinking I would end up having to remove the mount everytime and somehow modify/widen the thinner phone/monitor cut out already there.
How does the P4P charger do with that M1CH-P advanced hub ?
Only thing I'll do different in the Nanuk case to better suit my needs is swap the wall chargers for the car chargers...and I'm off.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it is larger. Depending on your perspective, it is about 1" taller and 1/2" wider. They are the same thickness.

Hopefully, the attached photo will give you some perspective. Not my best photography work, but it'll do. :)

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Looks like it will still fit in the GPC case as well.

Would you take some shots of the barrel plug in the phantom charger and measurements? I'm curious if the barrel plug is the same size as the ones you see in laptop ac adapters that are 18-19v. Thanks in advance!

Would you take some shots of the barrel plug in the phantom charger and measurements? I'm curious if the barrel plug is the same size as the ones you see in laptop ac adapters that are 18-19v. Thanks in advance!

I am sorry that I never got around to this. Right after my last post, work got really busy and I got really distracted. No photos to share, but I did compare the plug with the one on my work-provided Lenovo ThinkPad — they are not the same size. The DJI one is slightly smaller (diameter), but slightly longer in length. Probably done on purpose.

It was your original thread endorsing the 920 that made me make the purchase.
And I love it.
I've tried a few different ones but IMHO the Nanuk 920 is the ultimate case for travel and the Mavic Pro.
I was just about to pick up a separate little case for the C.Sky when the top part of the 3D Evolution mounting bracket in the charger compartment caught my eye.
Wow...looks like it fits nicely right there.
I'd also entertained the thought of enlarging the long, thin cut out towards the front of the case for the C.Sky ( when you have your cables ) but if I'm able to get the C.Sky and the P4P charging in and out without scratching up the C.Sky .
The base of the 3D Evolution mount is just tight enough to make it tricky to get on and off so I'd considered somehow leaving it on.
But I do believe I'm going to copy the way you have yours all tucked in nicely.
Thanks for sharing....that really looks great !

NOTE TO ALL: if you do a lot of flying and/or do it frequently, the Advanced charging hub and P4P charger is by far the best "bang for the buck" upgrades available for the Mavic.
It cuts my charging time on 3 batteries that are approx 30% charged by over TWO HOURS.
And even more when using the P4P car charger with the Advanced hub.

I had no choice in regards to a P4P charger...it's needed to charge the C.Sky.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm reposting my reply.

I am glad that this worked out for you, RiveRatt.

Since my original post I have made a few enhancements. I figured out that I am able to store the controller with the Evolution 3D mount attached -- without modifications to the Nanuk case. I also now leave another part of the Evo mount attached to the CrystalSky. This does two things for me... It allows me to get things out of the case and setup more quickly (just bolt two pieces together with one bolt) and it means that the CrystalSky will already be at my preferred viewing angle once I attach it to the controller (no fiddling). I have attached a photo that my help explain better what I am talking about.

IMG_1683 (1)A.jpg

Reactions: Adamcain112
Is it possible to splice a Mavic battery plug on to the Phantom charger? To save carrying two chargers around?

Is it possible to splice a Mavic battery plug on to the Phantom charger? To save carrying two chargers around?
Sorry, I'm reposting my reply.

I am glad that this worked out for you, RiveRatt.

Since my original post I have made a few enhancements. I figured out that I am able to store the controller with the Evolution 3D mount attached -- without modifications to the Nanuk case. I also now leave another part of the Evo mount attached to the CrystalSky. This does two things for me... It allows me to get things out of the case and setup more quickly (just bolt two pieces together with one bolt) and it means that the CrystalSky will already be at my preferred viewing angle once I attach it to the controller (no fiddling). I have attached a photo that my help explain better what I am talking about.

View attachment 23076
NICE !
I've got the PGY landing gear on the Mavic and have been leaving it installed when putting into the case.
I was a bit concerned that the foam inside the top of the Nanuk would put pressure on the props and motors.
Leaving the top half of the 3D Evo. on the C.Sky and bottom half on the RC like this may help me by relieving any pressure the top may be putting on the Mavic props/motors.
Thanks for sharing Brother.

No. the Phantom is a 4s (4 cell) charger and the Mavic has a 3s (3 cell battery). The Advanced doc that allows you to connect to the the Phantom charger does the voltage conversion. Splicing would cause a short or fire.

I wish I could take advantage of putting all of my Mavic accessories in one case but that just doesn’t look like it’s gonna work out for me

I’m using the 5.5 crystalsky monitor with the evolution 3-D mount I’m also using the five and one lightning charger so that I can charge three batteries at one time as well as the remote

I also have the DJI goggles and a landing pad, as well as a total of four batteries
the batteries are not really a problem one in the Mavic and three in the case is pretty standard

Until I can find something that I can customize that doesn’t break the bank anymore than I already have
I’m going to be rocking one case for the Mavic and a second EVA case for the goggles and just hold onto the landing pad as I go

Until I upgrade to the crystalsky 7.85 ultra bright monitor, and the Gnarbox with 2TB Segate External HDD
I’ll make the 2 case system work. After I add these toys, I’m going big boy rolling case

That will be a fun time, setting that travel case up

Fly safe everyone!

I fit everything in one case but I never carry a charger with me, i do own 3 batteries and never find the need to charge when I am out.

I thought I posted a question to this but it doesn't seem to have posted ??
"Why" would you need 2 chargers ?
The P4P charger is used for the C.Sky battery so all you'd need is the Mavic Advanced charging hub.
( it'll save over 2 hours on charging 4 batteries, too.)
My only "issue" when going out to fly ( when I do I typically spend 2-3 hours ) is keeping the remote charged.
The C.Sky battery seems to last over 4 hours but the remote less than 2 and I haven't been carrying a car charger ( but will very soon.)
What I caught myself doing over the weekend was to take along a 5th battery and use the charging adaptor to plug it to the remote for a charge.

And thanks again @Paul7of8 for the illustration pic: I've setup my 920 "exactly" the way you and and couldn't be more pleased with the setup.

Reactions: woodmnctry
@RiveRatt,

You are correct, there is no need for two chargers as the P4 charger can charge everything. That post showing both chargers was just a size comparison requested by another member (how much larger is the P4 brick than the Mavic brick). I too only carry the P4 charger in the case.

Paul
Paul7of8

Oh cool! I've got the charging hub, didn't occur to me that the connection would be the same.

So has anyone made an adaptor that then connects to one of the four ports on the charging hub and offers us a USB connection? (to give us an all-in-one solution almost)

Oh cool! I've got the charging hub, didn't occur to me that the connection would be the same.

So has anyone made an adaptor that then connects to one of the four ports on the charging hub and offers us a USB connection? (to give us an all-in-one solution almost)

I’m not certain that this will answer your question, but here is how I am currently charging everything with the one P4 charger...

The P4 charger connects to the bottom of the Mavic *advanced* battery charging hub (it is my understanding that the P4 charger is not compatible with the “standard” Mavic battery charging hub). This allows you to charge the Mavic batteries. The P4 barrel connector then connects to the CrystalSky battery charging hub to charge the CrystalSky battery. Also, the CrystalSky battery charging hub has a standard USB-A port on it that I use to charge the Mavic Controller (seems to work find for me).

Needless to say, I am not charging all of these things at once. It is my understanding that the P4 charger would not handle that load all at once.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan