DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CS 7.85 + DJI Phantom Mount + 3D Printer = Ultimate Mount

supergimp

Reactions
So I wasn't happy with any of the mount options for the 7.85" CrystalSky for the Mavic (Air). When I saw my buddy's P4 with the CS and the DJI mount and saw how robust it was, not to mention the quick release, I was sold on coming up with a solution. I had already designed an iPad Mini mount based on GoPro hardware, so I had already refined the mounting plate quite a bit and then ordered the DJI Phantom mount and came up with this:

ZP+DbtyQQE2j5VDtIPkTFQ.jpg

It's super solid, no sagging and the CG is about right such that it doesn't feel too top heavy. I just made a few final tweaks and will put the files on Thingiverse when I finalize everything.

Edit: Forgot to add the Thingiverse link in case anyone wants to print one for themselves:

DJI Mavic (AIR) CrystalSky Mount by supergimp

Last edited:
Ohhhhh sweet!!!

It's like my modified mavmount, but about £100 cheaper :D

More photos please!

Got a photo of the bottom? Is the front of the DJI base attached too?

I had to use epoxy resin on the front part of my mod :rolleyes:

Here’s the mounting plate by itself. The DJI mount base is contoured slightly. I just made a slight adjustment to the angle of the channel that slopes toward the lanyard loop and have another one printing now (we’ll see in 10 hours).

I also added a slight relief to the right of the lanyard loop as it was a little difficult to get the screw in.

The loop itself is printed as a separate piece and epoxied in. I could have printed it in place but it’s stronger printed lying down flat.

E387BCEE-B6F1-48A9-8C7B-D9436217448C.jpeg

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Amazing work man :D

Will this fit the Mavic Pro controlller too?

Thanks. I think it might. I don't have a Mavic Pro controller to test on. I have a few friends that do, so will try when I see them, but no idea when that will be. The only advantage I see to the Mavic Air controller is that the storage pockets for the sticks provides a little extra "clamping" along the top edge of the base plate. This would prevent rocking of the plate, although if I clamp the plate and slide it away enough that it doesn't catch in these pockets its still really solid.

I tried the Skyreat mount and found that it rocked a bit, but the plate is a bit thinner. I must've printed a dozen versions of mine (or parts of) to get the right thickness such that it was gripped firmly without deforming the rubber in the clamping area.

Now that I write this, however, I remember reading that some people had issues with phones in cases on the Mavic Pro. Maybe my plate will be too thick (it's 7mm thick). If someone with a Mavic Pro and a caliper can give me an idea of the limits of what they have tried or any difficulty they may have had, that would be useful information to have. It would be easy enough to print the base plate a mm or two thinner without compromising the strength (I think).

Thanks. I think it might. I don't have a Mavic Pro controller to test on. I have a few friends that do, so will try when I see them, but no idea when that will be. The only advantage I see to the Mavic Air controller is that the storage pockets for the sticks provides a little extra "clamping" along the top edge of the base plate. This would prevent rocking of the plate, although if I clamp the plate and slide it away enough that it doesn't catch in these pockets its still really solid.

I tried the Skyreat mount and found that it rocked a bit, but the plate is a bit thinner. I must've printed a dozen versions of mine (or parts of) to get the right thickness such that it was gripped firmly without deforming the rubber in the clamping area.

Now that I write this, however, I remember reading that some people had issues with phones in cases on the Mavic Pro. Maybe my plate will be too thick (it's 7mm thick). If someone with a Mavic Pro and a caliper can give me an idea of the limits of what they have tried or any difficulty they may have had, that would be useful information to have. It would be easy enough to print the base plate a mm or two thinner without compromising the strength (I think).
I use the PolarPro support for the CS and it is 7.8 mm tick.
With CS UB7, it need some modding on the screw to really be usable and keep the CS in place.

I use the PolarPro support for the CS and it is 7.8 mm tick.
With CS UB7, it need some modding on the screw to really be usable and keep the CS in place.

Interesting. So it should probably fit. When you say modding of the screw, you mean the one that holds the CS angle? The PP mount was going to be my choice until I saw people reporting this.

The DJI mount doesn’t have this issue. They even have a plastic insert in the joint so that you can tighten it really tight but still adjust the angle if you apply sufficient force. And the quick release is super solid. I’m impressed.

Yes, the one that set the angle.
20180616_222829.jpg
I didn't want to use the "screwdriver" they deliver, it don't work that nicely and you need to tight it each time you change the angle.
So it comes to a patch solution for short term.
I plan to keep the base and replace it with the DJI fixation so I can operate my CS on Mavic, Spark and PH3 RC with the quick release system.

This is the problem I was/am having with the PP mount. I’ve got to crank it down tight to keep the CS secure.

Does anyone know if the mount in the first pic will fit the PP base? If not, sign me up for the 3D base!Image1529187019.243517.jpg

So I wasn't happy with any of the mount options for the 7.85" CrystalSky for the Mavic (Air). When I saw my buddy's P4 with the CS and the DJI mount and saw how robust it was, not to mention the quick release, I was sold on coming up with a solution. I had already designed an iPad Mini mount based on GoPro hardware, so I had already refined the mounting plate quite a bit and then ordered the DJI Phantom mount and came up with this:

View attachment 40216

It's super solid, no sagging and the CG is about right such that it doesn't feel too top heavy. I just made a few final tweaks and will put the files on Thingiverse when I finalize everything.

Nicely done.

This is the problem I was/am having with the PP mount. I’ve got to crank it down tight to keep the CS secure.

Does anyone know if the mount in the first pic will fit the PP base? If not, sign me up for the 3D base!View attachment 40229
It will not, the mount on PP is 1 screw and a slide where the mount in first pic is made for Phantom 3/4 RC using 2 screws (one from top and one from side). You would need some adapter piece in between and it would be better in aluminium, I doubt 3D printing for that piece would be strong enough.

Just an update. Nothing wrong with my previous version but I made some refinements. I now have the Mavic 2 Pro and figured I’d take a look at my mounting plate over the weekend. I raised the monitor a little to clear my thumbs a little better and added tabs that interlock with the slots on the side grips. I also added a lip that interlocks with the groove right on the bottom of the main RC body.

The tabs fit the M2P and most likely Air RC (I haven’t tried the Air RC yet) since both have the same issue with the DJI Mavic CS mount. I included the STEP files in case anyone wants to move the tabs.

DJI Mavic AIR/Mavic 2 CrystalSky Mount **REVISED** by supergimp

9346E291-1EC6-45BC-BD27-0C9096C2D818.jpeg 9F6DB2D5-7864-4340-A6F3-08C602AF8347.jpeg D17F2F8F-C328-435C-9AAD-852BAD80E2FC.jpeg

So here's what I did... I'm using a MavMount on my Mavic for the CrystalSky 7.85" with their mounting plate, and it works great ...

Then, on the Phantom 4 Pro, I bought a cheap Phantom 3 Standard bracket from Amazon. I didn't use the main part of the bracket, but just the top mounting plate; attached that to the P4P's metallic mount bracket, and now it's super easy to switch with just a thumbscrew.

This is the bracket I bought... tossed the rest of it; just used the flat top plate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6NY2KV

And of course, on the Mavic -- a MavMount from www.mavmount.com -- these guys are AWESOME! A solid product, and even more solid customer service. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Just an update. Nothing wrong with my previous version but I made some refinements. I now have the Mavic 2 Pro and figured I’d take a look at my mounting plate over the weekend. I raised the monitor a little to clear my thumbs a little better and added tabs that interlock with the slots on the side grips. I also added a lip that interlocks with the groove right on the bottom of the main RC body.

The tabs fit the M2P and most likely Air RC (I haven’t tried the Air RC yet) since both have the same issue with the DJI Mavic CS mount. I included the STEP files in case anyone wants to move the tabs.

DJI Mavic AIR/Mavic 2 CrystalSky Mount **REVISED** by supergimp

View attachment 46957 View attachment 46958 View attachment 46959

The more I see posts like this the more I want a 3D printer [emoji849]

the orginal CS mount from the phantom fits perfect on the Polar pro mount ...I saw some pictures in facebook groups on mavic controlers

The front screw for the P4 mount, how does it screw down? The back screw threaded and tightened down fine.

I had a buddy print the plate for me, love it. Just had the question about the front screw (side screw)

The front screw for the P4 mount, how does it screw down? The back screw threaded and tightened down fine.

I had a buddy print the plate for me, love it. Just had the question about the front screw (side screw)
You need to print the part called “Lanyard Loop” as well and glue it into the slot on the base. Then the side screw can attach just as it was originally intended on the Phantom remote.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803