DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom Controller Mode or Develop New Muscle Memory?

markp99

Reactions
I am a new drone pilot, but have had lots of time using flight simulators over the years.

After just a few short hours w/MM so far (too cold and windy), I find my UP-DOWN intuition with the controller is exactly backwards. I keep wanting to pull the stick back to go UP and push the stick forward to go DOWN.

I know I can select a different controller mode, but I wonder if I should just carve new pathways in my brain and muscle memory and learn the MM default controls.

Any suggestions or experiences to share?

The vast majority of folks use mode 2, the default, so if you ever want to let someone else fly your drone, or you fly someone else’s it might be handy to relearn/retrain you brain. I had a bit of the same problem when I first started because in my past I had flown manned aircraft and was used to pushing the yoke forward to push the nose of the aircraft down. One small thing that might help is to hold the controller straight out in front of you, perpendicular to the ground and then it is more obvious that forward means up. It worked for me.

I have flown and crashed RC fixed wing aircraft for many years, quads and now mostly drones. I found the muscle memory came quickly, as I was intentionally making a mental note of the stick movement and reaction. I knew it was opposite, put that out of my mind, and it came quickly. Me, I would suggest staying with default controller mode and begin the carving process. It won't take too long. Wish you well in your flying.

Reactions: markp99
One small thing that might help is to hold the controller straight out in front of you, perpendicular to the ground and then it is more obvious that forward means up. It worked for me.
Good idea. That would work well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27