DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom Cut on Mavic Pro gimbal cover

Another way to determine the cut out area is to stick some black tapes (preferably the one that doesn't leave any adhesive residue) around the gimbal cover. Should be easier to see than some markers line

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

Pretty interested in this. May even be worthwhile applying a nice flat piece over the cutout.

Reactions: rcheli9
Please keep us posted with your experiment Vince!

Sent from MavicPilot iOS app

Will do! I played around with the field of view against the gimbel cover a bit last night, but it's more difficult than I expected given that the nearest focal point is 1/2 meter away...so a bit of a challenge to really see where the dry erase lines are drawn. Any advice on how to accomplish this? I would have messed with it more but the Cubs started winning (I'm originally from Chicago). Tonight I'll be worthless watching game 7, so maybe an update tomorrow night!

Will do! I played around with the field of view against the gimbel cover a bit last night, but it's more difficult than I expected given that the nearest focal point is 1/2 meter away...so a bit of a challenge to really see where the dry erase lines are drawn. Any advice on how to accomplish this? I would have messed with it more but the Cubs started winning (I'm originally from Chicago). Tonight I'll be worthless watching game 7, so maybe an update tomorrow night!

How bout sticking black tapes on the inside of the bubble and see at what point the tape starts affecting the field of view of the camera?

I know nothing about this, but would it be possible to put an anti-glare or polarized coating on the inside of the camera bubble?

Sometimes I like to just fly and not use the camera but there seems to be concern that leaving the gimbal cover on reduces the air flow to the vent behind the gimbal. Has anyone tried drilling some holes in the front of the gimbal cover to allow air flow to the vent?

If 1/2 m is the nearest, then you can make your own gimbal cover out if some thin wire metal grid and it will give you best protection without being noticeable on your videos. Something like a colander should do the trick :)

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

I like this mod. Very cool. My cut out before paint.
mavicdomemod.jpg

Last edited:
So the main issue with keeping the bubble on is glare and maybe some distortion correct? I'm wondering when someone will come out with a bubble that has opaque sides to keep out the glare and for the front of the camera a flat face to reduce distortion. Perhaps even adding a filter on the camera would help.

Someone posted a video on bubble modification as a sunhood.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98