DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom geofencing for Mini

DeudeMavic

Reactions
So I would like to create a custom geofencing zone that my Mini would use as a keep-IN area (not keep out) namely to restrict it to only fly over my property, about 12 acres. I have looked around and seen a few things, but either they were not for a Mini (just a Mini 2) and/or too expensive (more than the drone costs).

Is there a relatively simple way to do this for a Mavic Mini?

TIA

So I would like to create a custom geofencing zone that my Mini would use as a keep-IN area (not keep out) namely to restrict it to only fly over my property, about 12 acres.
No, but (if the Fly app works the way the DJI Go app does) you can set a Maximum distance from the home point and keep the drone within that.

That would not quite work... The property is an odd shape, not square, not even rectangular. Ideally I would want to be able to fly over any portion of it without drifting out.

That would not quite work... The property is an odd shape, not square, not even rectangular. Ideally I would want to be able to fly over any portion of it without drifting out.
That's why the first word in my post was No.

Reactions: The General
Not sure why you don't want to drift out of "Your Property" as while in the air it isn't anyone's property. But if you really wanted to you could fly your boarder initially. And then your flight path is recorded on map only. You then could look down as you were flying for reference there after...but that is about as close as your going to get, these things don't have hidden fence like for a dog :p

So I don't have to worry about some redneck vigilante shooting down my drone because I drifted over his property, regardless of his actions being illegal. Also it would be a nice thing to do just out of plain old-fashioned respect for other people's property.

I might be able to accomplish something similar using Dronelink by flying a set of waypoints, or to a particular waypoint, inside the property line. Not quite the same thing, but looks like an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Is my understanding that RedWaypoint does that. Red Waypoint APP
Virtual Polygonal GeoFenfence.

Check this video.

Hey look at that! Exactly what I had in mind. A quick glance looks like it supports the Mini so I'll check it out.

Thanks zeusfl

And we are all the wiser ;) Good looking out..zeusfl :) Looks like they already updated for the MA2 if anyone is that bracket, pretty quick for a 1 day old SDK:)

And to think I updated to a M2Z and Stealth Props so I could fly 4 times higher...what a waste of $2000 when I could of just used this ????

Last edited:
I have loaded the Red Waypoint software and tried running it but so far I just get a blank grey screen. I need to spend some more time with it.

EDIT: Well according to the instruction manual it is stuck trying to register with the DJI servers. I let it sit for a long time and nothing happened. I even uninstalled the DJI Fly app to make sure it was not interfering. I think I am going to give up on this particular software package.

Last edited:
So I don't have to worry about some redneck vigilante shooting down my drone because I drifted over his property, regardless of his actions being illegal. Also it would be a nice thing to do just out of plain old-fashioned respect for other people's property.

I might be able to accomplish something similar using Dronelink by flying a set of waypoints, or to a particular waypoint, inside the property line. Not quite the same thing, but looks like an option.
That can still be an issue. They could even shot it down near the border of your property if they think you are "spying" over the boundary.

Reactions: DeudeMavic
The state law here is that one cannot image or record video of something or someone on private property (via drone) without their permission. So even if the drone is on my property, if I am shooting something or someone on their property, that's illegal.

However shooting down drones is not legal here AFAIK. But not everyone understands or follows the law, especially if they think you are spying on them and blast away in the heat of the moment.

I'll be shooting straight down so if I stay over my property then it is legal activity.

I have loaded the Red Waypoint software and tried running it but so far I just get a blank grey screen. I need to spend some more time with it.

EDIT: Well according to the instruction manual it is stuck trying to register with the DJI servers. I let it sit for a long time and nothing happened. I even uninstalled the DJI Fly app to make sure it was not interfering. I think I am going to give up on this particular software package.
I was interested in this application also from the thread, but alas all I get is a grey screen also.

The app with virtual polygonal geofence is “Maven for DJI drones” , that is the app in the video posted above.

Maven is iOS only

Red waypoint don’t have any similar functionality

The app with virtual polygonal geofence is “Maven for DJI drones” , that is the app in the video posted above.

Maven is iOS only

Red waypoint don’t have any similar functionality
@Mitch76 I am pretty sure was Redpoint because that is why i bought it about 6 months ago. They claim they where they only app that do the polygonal geofencing and I personally test it. I know now they don't mention this in the website. I am wondering if they sold the patent for this technology to Maven.

@Mitch76 I am pretty sure was Redpoint because that is why i bought it about 6 months ago. They claim they where they only app that do the polygonal geofencing and I personally test it. I know now they don't mention this in the website. I am wondering if they sold the patent for this technology to Maven.
I believe that I’m more sure than you:
I’m the developer of Maven , I posted that video on YouTube , never had any contact with red waypoint team

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis