DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cutting the foam in my case

TedShred

Reactions
I'd like to enlarge the circled area of the foam in my case to make room for my collapsible Polar Pro leg extenders.
How would you do it?
I'm thinking of carefully trying with a razor blade but there might be a better way I am not thinking of.
Thanks20190313_195915.jpeg

Reactions: TedShred
The trick to a smooth foam “cut” is to melt it instead of cutting.
Absolutely. I've tried both cutting and melting and there is no comparison. You'll get a far better result with heat. Practice on some scrap foam first though. It is very easy to make a mistake.

I'd like to enlarge the circled area of the foam in my case to make room for my collapsible Polar Pro leg extenders.
How would you do it?
I'm thinking of carefully trying with a razor blade but there might be a better way I am not thinking of.
ThanksView attachment 65922
I used this piece of sharpened metal pipe, all you have to do is just turn and put slight pressure pushing it down. You can also use a piece of scrap copper pipe which is easily sharpened. 20190314_181334.jpeg

I used a cheap electric soldering iron and gently pressed against the sides of the foam where the front PP extender legs fit into the rear part of the M2 cutout, and it melted the foam gently. And can confirm the foam is dark grey all through; I was worried the foam once disturbed, would be white foam - making the whole job look ugly, but it doesn't, it looks great and my M2P fits like a glove now, with the legs permanently attached. Very happy with the job done. I have pics I can post later.

I used a cheap electric soldering iron and gently pressed against the sides of the foam where the front PP extender legs fit into the rear part of the M2 cutout, and it melted the foam gently. And can confirm the foam is dark grey all through; I was worried the foam once disturbed, would be white foam - making the whole job look ugly, but it doesn't, it looks great and my M2P fits like a glove now, with the legs permanently attached. Very happy with the job done. I have pics I can post later.
I happened to have a soldering iron.
Thanks for the tip.
Worked like a charm!20190314_134443.jpeg

Reactions: tleedom and Torcan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev