DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Da vinci is very expensive

Why would you need the Pro version? I DO everything on the free version. I shoot Raw, Dlog, and 4k video, do all of it on Free version. Don't know what you are so worried about Pro version for?
I stand corrected sir you are correct

I really want to shoot in D -log h256 but I can't justify spending 300 on a program I did buy Adobe premiere elements and like it but come on man. Any suggestions?

You can import and edit D -log H265 in DaVinci you just can't export it in the 10 bit H265 format. Once you have it colorgraded you can export it in a more user-friendly format. That is fine for me since most places I want to hand off the video can't deal with H265 anyway. If I find the need $300 is cheap for professional editing tools.

Rarely would anyone except pro editors export H.265, so no worries there.

I think it’s amazing Blackmagic design gives away a free version of Resolve that does 95% of what the studio version does. I’d pay $300 for the noise reduction plug-in alone cause every other one I’ve paid for was unusable.

I’ve owned Resolve since they released the original BMD Cinema Camera and they’ve continued to do major upgrades to Resolve (free and studio) every few months. Contrast it to AVID whose products are always priced in the stratosphere and there ain’t nothin free. I resold the Cinema Camera for full price a few months later and kept the software license (included with the camera as it is to this day). I bought their URSA mini 4.6k camera, a ridiculous value at $5k. Brilliant camera. Their new 6k pocket cinema camera will retail for an equally ridiculous $2,499.

That’s a company you can believe in.

I really want to shoot in D -log h256 but I can't justify spending 300 on a program I did buy Adobe premiere elements and like it but come on man. Any suggestions?

Is the free version good enough? And yes, $300 for life doesn't seem too bad...it's a good deal actually compared to Adobe, IMHO.

--

Bill

I'm amazed they dropped their paid edition from $999 to $299. I tried looking for 10 bit h.265 support but only saw 10 bit support in Studio (paid edition) for h.264.

Studio does do h.265 10-bit. Some of the documentation out there is old.

Chris

Last edited:
Rarely would anyone except pro editors export H.265, so no worries there.

Mostly agreed.

I do h.265 export if I'm doing production on a lot of clips that are intermediates for a larger project, even though i'm not a pro. But that's possibly rare, and doesn't sound like anything the OP would be interested in.

To add to the grumbling (buy a $2k drone and grumble about $300 software), I would add this: you want THE BEST, most high-quality platform capabilities (10-bit h.265), but want that power in free or cheap software? If I couldn't afford the better software, I would learn to shoot in a format the free / cheap software does.

Yeah, you're being told that the free version of Resolve will do the better format, but it will be slow when you add enough effects/processing/grading, even with clip optimization. The Studio version gives you hardware processing, the free version is only software emulation for a lot of that stuff.

Chris

This moaning and complaining about Resolve really ***** me. If you want to buy Studio cheap just go on eBay and buy a second hand dongle for $150. That’s what I did and I’ve got free upgrades for life. Also, it wasn’t that long ago that Resolve cost half a million dollars so $300 or $150 second hand sounds like a freakin bargain to me

Try lumafusion on the iPad, can handle 4K easily, you can download LUT’s and costs considerably less than resolve.

Try lumafusion on the iPad, can handle 4K easily, you can download LUT’s and costs considerably less than resolve.
Yes LumaFusion on iOS is fantastic however you can’t do 10bit video. It is an iOS limitation (things may have changed but that was certainly the case very recently).

Pro Tools is a standard in the music & video industry - anytime you hear the name it's referring to the Avid product - and you certainly don't need it. Resolve 16 free is all you will ever need - sure if your shooting 10bit log and you want to do major colour grading then you might want to pay for the licence for studio (it's a 1-time licence as opposed to an annual sub). Why pay for something before you know you need it? use the free version and if you find a situation where you wish you could grade 10 bit footage then pay the licence. If you shoot in 10bit dlog there are conversion programs to prores so you can use the free version

I would like to have some of the features the paid version has. Maybe I'll just buy their pocket camera and get the software license included. I better not.... I would probably want the 6K version and that would set me back $2500+

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13