DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Damaged MA2 Controller

ZFlyer

Reactions
Hello all, since my last post I have received my MA2 and have been practicing. Had an issue yesterday I was in my backyard doing figure 8s, just before I was manually landing the drone my German Shepard was chasing a lizard on the ground when she accidentally hit my leg I fell and dropped my controller. My question is does the DJI Refresh cover the controller? I tried to calling DJI and was on hold for 30 minutes so I gave up. I think it may have been damaged after the controller hit the ground my drone shot up about 15 feet and when I hit RTH it started going higher and into the trees so I over rode and landed manually. Other than yesterday's mishap I have been having a great time learning.

Know what ya thinking and is very possible that’s what happened.

The cont
Its hard to be sure of anything really, but I have a theory. A few quick questions for ya. do you know if the controller landed sticks up or sticks down? Also, what is your return to home altitude set to?
The controller landed on the bottom right corner which caused the case to split open.

Pictures of controller?
Is it possible that you may be able to snap it back together?

My question is does the DJI Refresh cover the controller?
Since no one answered your original question...

DJI Care Refresh covers only the aircraft, gimbal, camera, propellers, and battery. It never covers the controller. If your controller is damaged, any repairs or replacements would be at your own cost.

Since no one answered your original question...

DJI Care Refresh covers only the aircraft, gimbal, camera, propellers, and battery. It never covers the controller. If your controller is damaged, any repairs or replacements would be at your own cost.
Thanks that’s what I expected. I went out this morning to test the controller it seems to be working normally but I am taking it slow. I did have to snap the corner back in place. Thanks for your response.

May as well hold out and buy a smart controller if you are looking to replace it, the incremental difference in cost probably won't be a ton of cash.

May as well hold out and buy a smart controller if you are looking to replace it, the incremental difference in cost probably won't be a ton of cash.
The Smart Controller is currently £579 in the UK DJI store, must me able to get a device to act as a monitor for much less than that.

you should note, however, that the MA2 FW will need a yet to be released update before it can use the Smart Controller.

Last edited:
I didn't see the OP say what his RTH altitude is set to. If your concern is that you pressed RTH and the drone began to ascend, that's quite normal assuming your RTH altitude is higher than where the drone was at that moment.

Last edited:
The RTH was set to 30 feet high enough to clear the trees in the yard. My concern was that it was flying towards the neighbor's yard so that was when I manually landed the drone. I tested the RTH today and everything worked as expected. Tomorrow I am planning on going over to the high school and extend my range.

Cool...step at a time, takes quite a while to get tuned in to fully fly with both sticks at once, learning to do nice even turns while shooting video etc.

I would suggest that you do all of the out-of-box setup checks again, including firmware checks online, calibrations and then all of the RC control checks (left and right controls, RTH, tripod/normal/speed, cameras, etc) in an open area over clear flat terrain. Once you are satisfied that the Controller and drone are responding as expected, you should be okay to fly further out. My main concern would be possible cracking of any internal plastic battery mounts inside the RC that might cause an unexpected power failure and leave you with no connection to the drone. That presumably would initiate an RTH action from the drone, so make sure that you record a good, reliable Home position fix at launch, with plenty of return altitude set, to keep clear of any obstacles in the area. Some grey duct tape can strengthen where the controller popped open, if needed (and to cover any visual cracks or scuffing). Safe flying.

Too bad that happened. You’re responsible for the cost of a new controller. Try reaching out through DJI Chat. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78