DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dangers of flying with compass errors

bzmot

Reactions
Hey guys, quick question. I have this new setup, a GoPro mount fitted on top of my Mavic 2 Zoom. I put the Max there, the 360 camera, to see what it can do on a drone. I was warned this would block the GPS signal so I was prepared to fly ATTI, no problem. I took it on the beach to fly over the sea so if there’s a crash no one gets hurt. I waited for the bird to acquire gps fix, 17 satellites, good signal, and then I fitted the mount. To my surprise the gps signal didn’t vanish. The app traced my route on the map, and the drone flew well, hovered when I took my hands off the sticks and was perfectly stable. However, sometime mid flight the red compass calibration warning came up. I panicked at first but then I saw this didn’t really affect how it flew so I finished the mission and landed. I took the mount off, the compass warning vanished. Then I put it back on, poof the red warning is there again. Surprisingly I had no problem taking off again but now whenever I fly with the GoPro there’s a compass warning.

Now, assuming I do the proper compass calibration BEFORE mounting the GoPro are there in your opinion any risks to those flights? I mean it shouldn’t affect the compass too much should it? Or am I danger of a flyaway or any other rogue behavior from the drone?

This is my mount, the GoPro goes on top of it:

Firstly - check the magnetic interference levels in the app sensor section, with the GoPro installed and not installed. If it changes significantly then it could be a problem. Since you are adding a component to the aircraft, the correct procedure would be to calibrate the compass AFTER mounting the GoPro, not before. The calibration is to correct for the magnetic field of the aircraft - it can't do that if it's not in flight configuration.

Firstly - check the magnetic interference levels in the app sensor section, with the GoPro installed and not installed. If it changes significantly then it could be a problem. Since you are adding a component to the aircraft, the correct procedure would be to calibrate the compass AFTER mounting the GoPro, not before. The calibration is to correct for the magnetic field of the aircraft - it can't do that if it's not in flight configuration.
I haven't thought of that. Thank you. This forum should keep you on a retainer or something.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight