DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dark video feed with ND filter?

Choppermagic

Reactions
Hi! New member here.

So I'm guessing this is a common issue?

Sunny day, using a ND (5 stop) filter to get the frame rate right, but the video on my phone looks really dark, especially since it's sunny out and reflecting off the screen too. Is there a setting or something to bring the video feed up to full brightness (phone brightness already turned up) while using a ND filter? I am hoping there is a simple fix i am missing. It's hard to frame shots when it's hard to see what's on my screen.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

What drone are you using ?
This will likely have some effect on this as some drones rely solely on ND to get frame rate right, while others like the M2P (?) have adjustable settings, so ND are really not required as much, if at all ?

Eg. When using any ND filter on my MP, from CPL (approx ND4 @ 1.5 stops) to ND64, my screen looks the same, just my frame rate is changing.
If you have manual settings and they are set to manual, then it could affect what you are doing when combining with filters.

How does your final footage look, same under exposure ?

Welcome to the forum.

What drone are you using ?
This will likely have some effect on this as some drones rely solely on ND to get frame rate right, while others like the M2P (?) have adjustable settings, so ND are really not required as much, if at all ?

Eg. When using any ND filter on my MP, from CPL (approx ND4 @ 1.5 stops) to ND64, my screen looks the same, just my frame rate is changing.
If you have manual settings and they are set to manual, then it could affect what you are doing when combining with filters.

How does your final footage look, same under exposure ?

Thanks!

Mavic Air. Bright sunny day i use the 5 stop filter and its hard to see on my screen. I use manual settings.
The actual footage from the drone looks perfect. Just hard to pilot off the screen

Thanks!

Mavic Air. Bright sunny day i use the 5 stop filter and its hard to see on my screen. I use manual settings.
The actual footage from the drone looks perfect. Just hard to pilot off the screen

Hmmm, ok, maybe some of the experienced Air flyers can give you some tips.
Should be easy enough to solve.

I have always had a problem seeing my controller screen on bright days, unless I added a Hood (which although needed, I find cumbersome). Options were to purchase a DJI Crystal Sky monitor (1000Nits for the High Bright, 2000 Nits for the Ultra bright). Both expensive, and many have complained about the Ultra over heating.

I then chose to buy the DJI Smart Controller which replaces the normal controller and has a 1000 Nit screen, occusync 2 and works very well. The SC allows me to view the screen on most bright days with some strain on very bright days or with the sun directly overhead.

I had a Feelworld FW-970 monitor from the past that feeds off of an HDMI port that has 1000 Nits (less than $200). I connected the 970 to the Smart Controller using it's HDMI out port and it worked great. So knowing that I sometimes work in extremely bright days, I purchased the Feelworld FW-279 monitor which is 2200 Nits. Brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright and only $257. Got the Thorlift mount and am super happy with the results.

The SC only works with certain DJI models so check to make sure yours is on the list.

The Feelworld Monitors work with controllers that have a HDMI output (s model also has SDI input).

Hope this helps you and possibly others. Good Luck!

1566744916830.png

I have always had a problem seeing my controller screen on bright days, unless I added a Hood (which although needed, I find cumbersome). Options were to purchase a DJI Crystal Sky monitor (1000Nits for the High Bright, 2000 Nits for the Ultra bright). Both expensive, and many have complained about the Ultra over heating.

I then chose to buy the DJI Smart Controller which replaces the normal controller and has a 1000 Nit screen, occusync 2 and works very well. The SC allows me to view the screen on most bright days with some strain on very bright days or with the sun directly overhead.

I had a Feelworld FW-970 monitor from the past that feeds off of an HDMI port that has 1000 Nits (less than $200). I connected the 970 to the Smart Controller using it's HDMI out port and it worked great. So knowing that I sometimes work in extremely bright days, I purchased the Feelworld FW-279 monitor which is 2200 Nits. Brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright and only $257. Got the Thorlift mount and am super happy with the results.

The SC only works with certain DJI models so check to make sure yours is on the list.

The Feelworld Monitors work with controllers that have a HDMI output (s model also has SDI input).

Hope this helps you and possibly others. Good Luck!

View attachment 80307
thanks good tips. I have a freeworld 7" monitor for my video stuff but i don't have the upgraded controller to plug into. I was hoping there was a way to auto adjust my screen settings even though there is a ND filter on it.

Turn on the Histogram to make sure you are not being mislead by your FPV. You can also use AutoExposure with your ND filter, after determining the correct filter on the ground, to encourage the correct shutter speed you are seeking in Auto,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000