DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Data Link Instant Loss for 90 seconds

fieldpivot

Reactions
Hello fellow flyers!

I am a bit on edge, having just purchased my SECOND Mavic 2 Pro in 2 months. :(. I am still looking for my first one in a heavy wooded area. I was loosing sleep so I bit the bullet (again). Not that it help all the pain having another, I still think of the lone bird setting in a tree somewhere. My inititve is to take this new one to the loss site 6 hours away and run a monitored duplicate waypoint mission. Off topic here, just sharing this to say, I am very gun shy at this point. Which leaves much room to give me hell for this following flight.

Anyways, I am hopeful someone can explain what happened here.

As can be seen, a very close distance flight with an instant data link loss.

Things to note, I was able to control the aircraft at all times, and only knew something was happening because my IOS or controller was making a garbled digital sound every now and then. I was in fact Live Streaming to facebook and the replay had lots of cut out areas. I can only speculate and say that I was having some type of interference on the video downlink only? Here is the data.

My first thought would be to shut down the live stream and give it a few goes to see if the problem arrises again.
I used to stream video to my iPhone and noticed a couple times I would receive a weird warning on my phone. After researching, I shut down all the video stream to phone and have never had another issue again.
Only thing that sucks is, now I have to plug the Mav into my computer after a flight to see what I got! But not that big a problem.

I would like to know which datalink it refers to, as it is my understanding there is more than one of them.

Strange that at 0% or even 4% that i was able to still control the aircraft.

Post the logs.

Post the logs.

I just had a similar experience with my M2 Zoom unfortunately. I started flying over a river yesterday from a bluff about 100’ above water level. Trees obscured my view so no direct line of sight (my bad). At 2:28 into the flight as I was turning to fly up stream over a spillway I got a sudden loss of connection. No warning of weak connection. I was at about 100 feet above the water (data shows the drone was 3 ft above my home point overlooking the river). Tried to reestablish connection for 20 minutes. Looking at my flight log later it appears I reestablished contact at 20:04. Lost power shortly thereafter, over river. So I don’t think I crashed it while turning as it appeared to hover for about another 17 minutes but it never returned home even though I repeated sent that command. I get that it did not receive the command due to no connectivity, but why did it not return to home automatically ( it was configured for that). Any ideas?

Attachments

• AA5989E2-16AA-4F25-BE96-33F30DCF4E83.png
    AA5989E2-16AA-4F25-BE96-33F30DCF4E83.png
    683 KB · Views: 5
I just had a similar experience with my M2 Zoom unfortunately. I started flying over a river yesterday from a bluff about 100’ above water level. Trees obscured my view so no direct line of sight (my bad). At 2:28 into the flight as I was turning to fly up stream over a spillway I got a sudden loss of connection. No warning of weak connection. I was at about 100 feet above the water (data shows the drone was 3 ft above my home point overlooking the river). Tried to reestablish connection for 20 minutes. Looking at my flight log later it appears I reestablished contact at 20:04. Lost power shortly thereafter, over river. So I don’t think I crashed it while turning as it appeared to hover for about another 17 minutes but it never returned home even though I repeated sent that command. I get that it did not receive the command due to no connectivity, but why did it not return to home automatically ( it was configured for that). Any ideas?

Ouch, so sorry for your loss, can we see the actual flight log? Goto the share section to make it viewable or post the txt file.

Thanks, I reposted it elsewhere on this site and got some great responses.

Turns out that I had the loss of signal function set to hover and not RTH. so when I lost signal it hovered for 20 minutes. then at low battery it initiated RTH and while it was returning I apparently hit the RTH button on the controller (still trying to initiate an RTH and not realizing it was returning) which cancelled the RTH. eventually lost power and went in river. Buying a replacement, but learned a lot in the process, including how to view recorded logs. you guys are very helpful!

In my case the bad thin stock USB cable (RC -> phone) tend to datalink loose. But also firmware ver and app ver can not be friends (for example, last app and 300 firm)

Yes, I thought at first afterwards that it was the RC-phone cable given how sudden the connection was lost. Retrospectively I should have been more proactive in moving to location where I would have line of sight before assuming a crash.
I still wonder how I switched to hover mode without knowing it, but could have been operator error or a firmware glitch as you suggest. Probably my bad. well by buying the new drone I will have 2 controllers and can try out multimode so one person pilots and the other controls the camera.

Just try to keep bird in eyes contact, its not an hightech spy movie :)
All professional drone footages (8 props frame + RED cameras) I seen were taken in <0.5 km range.
After some fail and unexpected drone behavior, I always fly with 2nd person as my controller (her commands are: move up, attention to eagles /seagull, lost eyes contact - go back, etc)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada