DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DatCon can accept Mavic .DAT files

i am trying to pull the logs. the mavic connects and i'm able to see firmware but when i click flight records, it just hangs and gives the spinner forever. i'm using a macbook pro on os x.

wife is bugging me to go shopping so i'll have to work on this later.
Can you try it with a PC or use a Windows emulator as @Grimbart55 described in the post just after yours?

Got stuck unfortunately now at second step: The DatCon.2.4.1.jar under Mac OS Sierra works, but it tells me that the extracted .DAT files do not contain flight record data... Same response when I run the DatCon.2.4.1 Windows program in my Windows emulator.

Got stuck unfortunately now at second step: The DatCon.2.4.1.jar under Mac OS Sierra works, but it tells me that the extracted .DAT files do not contain flight record data... Same response when I run the DatCon.2.4.1 Windows program in my Windows emulator.
When you ran DJI Assistant 2 did you select a Flight Control File? This is shown in step 4 here.

When you ran DJI Assistant 2 did you select a Flight Control File? This is shown in step 4 here.
Yes, I extracted several Flight Control Files separately and waited each time until the were compressed. In the DatCon window I then selected as input one of these resulting files, but then got the message that these files do not contain any flight control data.

Did the error look like this?
upload_2016-12-17_11-34-55.png
If so and you ran DJI Assistant 2 properly then I have to assume that the error is caused by something that is different when running under Mac OS.

DatCon will want create a file that contains the flight. Eg. if the .DAT has the name
C:\Users\rowland\P4\FLYLOGS\Bud\DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-05-06 17-34-55].DAT
it will want to create the file
C:\Users\rowland\P4\FLYLOGS\Bud\DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-05-06 17-34-55].FLY123.DAT
This last one is actually the .DAT that DatCon uses.
Do you know if creating this file is permitted? If not, that could be the cause of this error.

Did the error look like this?
View attachment 2629
If so and you ran DJI Assistant 2 properly then I have to assume that the error is caused by something that is different when running under Mac OS.

DatCon will want create a file that contains the flight. Eg. if the .DAT has the name
C:\Users\rowland\P4\FLYLOGS\Bud\DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-05-06 17-34-55].DAT
it will want to create the file
C:\Users\rowland\P4\FLYLOGS\Bud\DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-05-06 17-34-55].FLY123.DAT
This last one is actually the .DAT that DatCon uses.
Do you know if creating this file is permitted? If not, that could be the cause of this error.

As I said, I ran the Assistant under a Windows emulator. It created files with this name:

DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2016-12-17_17-55-54.DAT

And when run DatCon and click into the .DAT filename field and select this file in the opening window, I get exactly the error window that you posted, i.e. "There are no Flight Control entries in this file..."

As I said, I ran the Assistant under a Windows emulator. It created files with this name:

DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2016-12-17_17-55-54.DAT

And when run DatCon and click into the .DAT filename field and select this file in the opening window, I get exactly the error window that you posted, i.e. "There are no Flight Control entries in this file..."
I understand. Can you take a look at the 2nd paragraph in my post and answer that question?

I understand. Can you take a look at the 2nd paragraph in my post and answer that question?

I don't understand your second paragraph: Is the *_??-??-??.FLY123.DAT file an output file of DJI Assistant and an input of DatCon? Or is it an output file of DatCon? On my computer DJI Assistant only generates the *_??-??-??.DAT file. And when I run DatCon I get immediately the error message, before I can specify any location where the output of DatCon will be placed.

As to permissions to write files: the location on my computer should be writeable, both under the Windows emulation or under the Mac OS. I get the error whether I use under Mac OS in the terminal the java -jar ... command or also when I use the Windows version of DatCon in the Windows emulator.

I don't understand your second paragraph: Is the *_??-??-??.FLY123.DAT file an output file of DJI Assistant and an input of DatCon? Or is it an output file of DatCon? On my computer DJI Assistant only generates the *_??-??-??.DAT file. And when I run DatCon I get immediately the error message, before I can specify any location where the output of DatCon will be placed.

As to permissions to write files: the location on my computer should be writeable, both under the Windows emulation or under the Mac OS. I get the error whether I use under Mac OS in the terminal the java -jar ... command or also when I use the Windows version of DatCon in the Windows emulator.

C:\Users\rowland\P4\FLYLOGS\Bud\DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-05-06 17-34-55].DAT is the file created when you run DJI Assistant 2.

When you tell DatCon to accept that file DatCon will generate a new intermediate file
This isn't the final .csv output, it's an intermediate file that DatCon needs in order to process files obtained by DJI Assistant 2. You don't specify it's location, DatCon places it in the same directory as the original file. If it can't create this file then you'll see the error.

I don't own a Mac. Is there a "home directory" If so, and you know where that is, there will be a file called .dotdat. Can you please include that in your next post.

Reactions: apacsman
@Grimbart55 could you Dropbox one of those .DATs created by DJI Assistant2 and post the Dropbox link. Maybe the problem is with DJI Assistant2.

@Grimbart55 could you Dropbox one of those .DATs created by DJI Assistant2 and post the Dropbox link. Maybe the problem is with DJI Assistant2.

Here's the dropbox link to one of the .DAT files:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12423773/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2016-12-17_17-54-40.DAT

And this is the .dotdat file:

Version 2.4.1
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The file: DatCon Usage.pdf doesn't exist.
at java.awt.Desktop.checkFileValidation(Desktop.java:210)
at java.awt.Desktop.open(Desktop.java:270)
at src.GUI.DatConMenuBar._userManual(DatConMenuBar.java:111)
at src.GUI.DatConMenuBar.actionPerformed(DatConMenuBar.java:139)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:376)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:833)
at com.apple.laf.AquaMenuItemUI.doClick(AquaMenuItemUI.java:157)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:877)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6533)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6298)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2236)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4888)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4525)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4466)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2280)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

DatCon 2.4.1 can't accept a .DAT produced by the Mac version of DJI Assistant 2. This is because the .DAT that is produced by the Mac version is slightly different than produced by the PC version. This will be fixed in the next DatCon release. In the interim I can provide a DatCon.jar that fixes this. PM me if you would like a copy of this .jar.

Thanks to @Grimbart55 for helping resolve this.

Last edited:
There is a new version of DatCon. Version 2.4.2 can be obtained by downloading it from here. This version fixes the bug encountered after having used DJI Assistant 2 v 1.0.8. There are some other changes as well as some bug fixes.

A new version of CsvView with a fix for the DJI Assistant 2 problem will be put later today.

There is a new version of CsvView. Version 1.0.3 can be obtained by going here to download it. This version fixes the bug that would occur when using V.1.0.8 of the DJI Assistant 2. There are other bug fixes as well as some new features.

Also available is the Mac version at the bottom of the list of downloads. I've not tried it since I don't have a Mac. After unzipping the download file use the RIGHT mouse button on CsvView.1.0.3.jar. Please lemme know how it works if you try this

Reactions: papimavic
DJI Assistant 2 version 1.0.9 (2017-01-05) is much easier to use than previous versions. It's also different. Go here to see how to use it to retrieve a .DAT file.

Also with V.1.0.9 there is a Data Viewer that accepts .DAT files. I haven't been able to get it to work but it seems to want to do some of the things CsvView does. You might want to try it.

A bug has been discovered in the latest DatCon (version 2.4.2). This bug appears when version 2.4.2 is the first DatCon to be installed. I.e., if a previous version of DatCon has been installed and ran there shouldn't be a problem.

If DatCon 2.4.2. is the first to be installed then it will crash the first, second, and third time it is run. The 4th run and thereafter should be fine.

I am using CsvView on an iMac. Great program. I am amazed at the amount of data that little beast collects and stores while it flies. Have been plotting and trending some of it for fun..... VERY cool !

Does DatCon show any form of horizontal Speed?

It also appears if flying with GO4 App there is NO usable flight log txt file. There is a .dat flight log that DatCon does not convert saying the aircraft is unknown.

Does DatCon show any form of horizontal Speed?

It also appears if flying with GO4 App there is NO usable flight log txt file. There is a .dat flight log that DatCon does not convert saying the aircraft is unknown.
VelH is the .csv column that shows horizontal speed. The documentation is a bit arcane. I'll change that.

I was able to retrieve the .txt file from my iPad DJI Go App 4.0. Didn't have any problem converting it to a .csv. The .dat on the tablet isn't the same as the .DAT on the AC and can not be processed using CsvView/DatCon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580