DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve ?

Thanks everyone, it isn't that I don't understand how to use it (obviously not all of it )

I have watched loads of You Tube, follow the tutorial on on monitor & have DaVinci on another, everything works but I don't get the video to show in preview window.
This is the end of the program for me, it’s getting uninstalled probably for good.

A video editing program isn't a lot of use if you cant see the video anywhere but the time line.

Reactions: Hegemone
Sometimes it's just not worth the fight when there are other options that just work. I hope you find that solution that works with your system. I feel your pain. I wanted the free resolve to be all that and a bag of chips but for my system it was a bunch of crumbs in a bag full of air. They make their money on hardware and editing console units, so that's where their priority lies. It's just a matter of following the money.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
My old computer would not run the free version .
Davinci gives you the spec`s needed to run there program . My stepson built me a new computer that far exceeded what there asking for . Thank God I have a geek in the family . Davinci 16 now runs great on the new computer without any problems . Could you possibly be short on any of there spec`s. ?

I have all the latest Nvidia drivers (for my gaming) & motherboard bios.

My PC is running beautifully so I am apprehensive about installing the NVIDIA Studio Drivers mentioned in the link you provided.
I could always make a system restore point and give it a go but I am in a game event for the next few days and don't want to mess things up at the moment.
I have the Nvidia Studio driver installed on my RTX 2070 running in a i9-9900k system, and Davinci Resolve 16 runs fine.

Davinci gives you the spec`s needed to run there program . My stepson built me a new computer that far exceeded what there asking for . Thank God I have a geek in the family . Davinci 16 now runs great on the new computer without any problems . Could you possibly be short on any of there spec`s. ?
I should be OK
I built it myself with the best components I could afford at the time.

My PC specifications are as follows.
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
i9-9900K Processor.
32 GB DDR 4 Ram.
Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super UHD Graphics.
1 - 500 GB SSD for Windows & 1 – 1 TB SSD HD for storage.
Nvidia Studio driver installed

I was assuming I must have some setting wrong but I have given up.
Inserting video into timeline OK video showing in the preview window is a no.
I follow YouTube videos to no avail.

The thing that really put me off was the response I got from Blackmagic Design.
I told them I was thinking of purchasing DaVinci Resolve so I installed the free version to try it out before purchasing the full version, followed by the problem I was having.

All I got as a reply was No support is given for the free version.

I simply don't want to part with that sort of cash for the full version without being able to try it first.

Last edited:
I'm on a system I built a couple years ago. I7, 1080 card, 16gb ram... Seems I'm having the same issue. I forgot that if hid the preview window and was using the main timeline view for a while now.

I did find a post on the blackmagic forum about the problem and a few people were advised to update their Bios.

I'm on a system I built a couple years ago. I7, 1080 card, 16gb ram... Seems I'm having the same issue. I forgot that if hid the preview window and was using the main timeline view for a while now.

I did find a post on the blackmagic forum about the problem and a few people were advised to update their Bios.
If you can sort out the issues, I can say that DR16 is well worth the effort. It is broadcast quality software, although requires a steep learning curve.

I have used many other video editing programs but I must say that DR16 is hitting all of the right points for me.

And as time goes by and I get to thinking "I wonder how I would do this", a quick search on the web and voila, there are many video tutorials to educate me.

And you can't beat the price.

All I got as a reply was No support is given for the free version.

While crappy, I can only imagine the volume of 'looky-loos' they'd have to field questions from considering how complex the software is, which would lead to people complaining and driving down the reviews/public view.

That said, could you put samples of the file(s) on a google drive or dropbox so some of us could download them and try to do what you're doing and having trouble with? I double checked and I wasn't using the preview window right and it's working with a sample 1080P/H.264 file I grabbed off the 'net.

I did find this PDF while I was out looking around and it may help those of us who are somewhat overwhelmed and would like a guidebook. It's a 'class' with questions at the end of the sections.

Thanks everyone, it isn't that I don't understand how to use it (obviously not all of it )

I have watched loads of You Tube, follow the tutorial on on monitor & have DaVinci on another, everything works but I don't get the video to show in preview window.
This is the end of the program for me, it’s getting uninstalled probably for good.

A video editing program isn't a lot of use if you cant see the video anywhere but the time line.

If I were you, I'd put a post on the BMD Resolve forum. I've had a number of things to work out, and I've always gotten great support on the forum.
I understand the frustration of not getting a reply directly from BMD, but the forum is how they really want you to ask for help. I have had BMD staff reply to my questions on the forum even though I was using the free version.

I'd give it another go since your machine looks like it's a perfect match for DR and IMO Resolve is really a software worth learning because really nothing else matches it for color grading and masks.

Thanks again.
I will install it again & give it another go some day, I have more important things to occupy me for the moment.

Do you have any chance of another GPU you can try out?

Reslolve doesnt use much GPU anyways.

I have vega 64 and ryzen 1800x. Its the cPU that uses the most for loading up video, editing, putting effects, preview and rendering. The GPU is only at 6-9%.

Maybe im doing wrong aswell?

Is there a way to redirect the load from cpu to vega 64? I know when i had GTX 1060 6GB it was smoother.

Impossible. The guy has RTX 2070 super and a 9900k. What spec could you possibly need to run resolve that doesnt utilize the power of a GPU.

Do you have any chance of another GPU you can try out?

Reslolve doesnt use much GPU anyways.

I have vega 64 and ryzen 1800x. Its the cPU that uses the most for loading up video, editing, putting effects, preview and rendering. The GPU is only at 6-9%.

Maybe im doing wrong aswell?

Is there a way to redirect the load from cpu to vega 64? I know when i had GTX 1060 6GB it was smoother.
Won't be swapping the GPU as it’s great for my gaming.
Like I say I only wanted to try it out & I will reinstall it some day when the mood takes me, had enough faffing around for now.

Reactions: droneloverair
I've just uninstalled Da Vinci (free version). Was trying to suss out the basics but fear you might need a university degree (and A LOT of time!) to use it. My needs are modest . . the user 'manual', if printed, would probably equate to Lord of the Rings type size. :D
The official manual for DR16 is more than 3300 pages, and honestly is not great even at that length. They need better writers, or at least editors. Like, a hot key index would be helpful, but it doesn’t even do a good job explaining icons, much less have that index, and is extremely repetitive. There are sections that try to describe various icons, and it says something like “there are 5 icons, which are from left to right,“ and then it describes 7 icons, so not all that helpful (this is not an actual quote, but that guide is pretty infuriating because of things like that). The “beginner guide“ is, I think, a more manageable 400 or so pages, but is more of a guided tutorial, which takes longer. It’s a powerful but complex program, but the learning curve isn’t as bad as I’d heard, at least to get the basics down, if you have spent time with another editor (see below). A very high-level video editor friend of mine (he runs a company that does commercials and PR video/internal video work for several of the world’s largest corporations) encouraged me to try it out. That said, I gave up when I first tried it a year ago. But I’ve come back and love it now. You don’t need a university degree to understand it; there are a lot of good tutorials on YouTube and BMD‘s own videos are pretty good too. PM me and I’ll send links to the tutorials that I found very helpful if you’re interested.

I do hope the OP can get this worked out. His system definitely is capable of running it. Premiere Pro users have reported this sort of problem as well. For what it’s worth, I spent more than year learning and doing a ton of work with PP, and really like it. But I’ve spent the past few months playing around with Resolve and find it to be both a more powerful and capable editor, and also a bit more intuitive, although this is with a background in PP (Pr in Adobe’s nomenclature). PPs keyframing system is somewhat easier to work with, but once you get a handle on Resolve’s it makes sense and has more powerful options. And Resolve has better coloring/lighting functions, not to mention its effects and audio editors are built in, unlike with Adobe’s products where you have to transfer files between different products to get to the more advanced features (not to mention you have to have the CC subscription or at least a subscription to PP, AE, amd AU, at which point you might as well spend the $50/m or so for the whole package). Its trim/editing functions are also, in my opinion, a lot easier to use than PP’s.

And I get what you’re saying about your needs being modest, but once you realize what you can do with a little extra effort (and it’s really not that much) you’ll want to do it.

One big downside to Resolve is that for the free version, your only support option is basically the official forums (where they do have employees helping out). I’d like to see BMD do a better job, at least for folks having real technical issues like this. Not a great way to get new customers if the program won’t work correctly. Adobe does a much better job at customer relations. I don’t dislike Adobe‘s stuff, and still have my CC subscription. I’ll probably keep up Ps/Lr forever. But I do find Resolve to be a superior product (I haven’t bought the paid version yet but probably will soon unless I discover some glaring flaws).

Last edited:
What i like about resolve is i get to buy it. As in i will own it.

Not like adobe with that monthly subscription that gives me stress of owning it temporarily.

It stresses me because of the idea that if im not creative in some days or weeks, that im wasting that monthy sub.

Where as resolve. I can relax knowing that the program is not going anywhere.

If i do buy the studio version, do i get to upgrade to the latest updates say rrsolve 17-20 or something?

I too had problems and got the message that they did not support the free version. A guy on another forum gave me a telephone number and email address. On both they were very helpful. Tel 01565 830049 and [email protected]. Hope that might help you

What i like about resolve is i get to buy it. As in i will own it.

Not like adobe with that monthly subscription that gives me stress of owning it temporarily.

It stresses me because of the idea that if im not creative in some days or weeks, that im wasting that monthy sub.

Where as resolve. I can relax knowing that the program is not going anywhere.

If i do buy the studio version, do i get to upgrade to the latest updates say rrsolve 17-20 or something?

They don’t seem to have an official policy on this. But they’ve done free updates for versions 1-16, so presumably will for a bit longer. I’m planning to buy it when 17 comes out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato