DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DC area based pilots check-in

I’m in Potomac, MD. My go-to spot is Violettes Lock on the Potomac River, about 30 minutes from DC but it requires paddling out and parking on a rock island as the C&O canal is a National Park. When the water level is lower, I walk out to a rock island just downstream. But, this year has been high water through four seasons with no signs of letting up. So, my new and most favored flying location is Harpers Ferry, WV about 90 minutes from DC, which is also a National Park however, there’s an area high on a bluff overlooking the town and the river junction as well as the twin railroad bridges that’s God’s gift to drone pilots. It’s at a dead end adjacent to an abandoned hotel. For a longer drive and equally beautiful location, Seneca Rocks, WV about 2.5 hours from DC. I haven’t edited my Harpers Ferry footage yet, but here’s a working video clip from Seneca Rocks.

Here’s a photo of Harpers Ferry. The launch spot is at the white building near the top right of the frame above the grove of trees. While most of the shoreline on both sides of the two rivers as well as the cliffs on the opposite side of the Potomac River are in a National Park, on Route 340 on the South side of the Shenandoah River, before you cross the upstream bridge there are a couple of areas you may be able to park and a short hike to a rock island directly across from the point. That south side of the Shenandoah along Rt. 340 i don’t believe is a National Park (could be part of Appalachian Trail), but your launch spot will have to be on a rock island in the River when the water level is lower. Given that the entire MD side of the Potomac River is the C&O National Park for 185 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD, I’m resigned to paddle out to the middle of the river when necessary to fly legally. I do have an extra kayak if any other pilots are inclined to go along. It’s a magical picture book town and plenty of great subjects to capture. Town, trains, cliffs, bridges, paddlers...wonderful.15B5D9D8-1E0C-48B3-B070-C686592D998F.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in Alexandria, I was planing to visit Burke lake park since it was an ok area on airmap but I checked B4UFly and it seems included in the red area.

I’m in Alexandria, I was planing to visit Burke lake park since it was an ok area on airmap but I checked B4UFly and it seems included in the red area.
I'll double check my notes, but I believe Burke Lake Park is ok to fly there. (I wanted to go fly there last year when the law changed. I'll get back to you.

Looking to buy a Mavic Pro Platinum with fly more package within 90 days — looking for the best pricing now.

I plan to fly out of the Annapolis and eastern shore area.

CMAC, welcome. I am about 5--7 min outside of Andrews AFB myself.
Sorry for late response I'm down at Disney with the family. So where do you fly I have yet to get my airborne I charged her up and got big red do not fly message. I then sat her down packed up and been here since I get back today so I'll tinker around with her some more

I just got my bird back. I was in Charleston SC where I flew about 3/4 of a mile out over the ocean to take some vids of a light house and other scenic views. That went well. What didn't go well was when I was tracking my nephew at a park and the drone took off on its own and crashed into a fence go figure. I'm good now. Around here, when I want to take it out for a few, I fly at Brandywine North Keys Community Park. Plenty big and has some fishing docks lots of green space.

Reactions: Strunk44
New pilot in Manassas VA would love to meet up with other pilots.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
New pilot in Manassas VA would love to meet up with other pilots.
Welcome to the group. I'm in Woodbridge. I've flown in Manassas a couple of times. Once at Dean Park and another park, but I forgot the name of it. Not far off Liberia. Not much to see and film, but good to get out and stretch the wings and test things.

Reactions: Strunk44
Welcome to the group. I'm in Woodbridge. I've flown in Manassas a couple of times. Once at Dean Park and another park, but I forgot the name of it. Not far off Liberia. Not much to see and film, but good to get out and stretch the wings and test things.

Dean park right next to me fly there as much as I can. Good place to practice skills. Correct in not much to film other than trains.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143