DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DC area based pilots check-in

Hi guys, I live in Rockville, MD and I'm looking for a good place to do a range test on my mavic air.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I guess by that you mean fly as high as possible and as far as possible...best would be some beach! :D

I guess by that you mean fly as high as possible and as far as possible...best would be some beach! :D
I see that you live in Bethesda which is like a 15min drive from where I live. Where do you usually fly your drone?
I'm curious because it looks like there aren't many that are close by.
Thanks.

Well I fly RC aircraft mainly at this club called free state RC club. I do fly my mavic there sometimes but it is very boring because you are expected to fly in line of sight (defeats the purpose of a drone like this).

So I usually fly it abroad where the software does not impose no fly zones on you which are practically everywhere here (what’s the point if you can’t fly in national parks etc). So I guess if you want to range test it here it would have to be on the coastline

I’m in Potomac, MD. My go-to spot is Violettes Lock on the Potomac River, about 30 minutes from DC but it requires paddling out and parking on a rock island as the C&O canal is a National Park. When the water level is lower, I walk out to a rock island just downstream. But, this year has been high water through four seasons with no signs of letting up. So, my new and most favored flying location is Harpers Ferry, WV about 90 minutes from DC, which is also a National Park however, there’s an area high on a bluff overlooking the town and the river junction as well as the twin railroad bridges that’s God’s gift to drone pilots. It’s at a dead end adjacent to an abandoned hotel. For a longer drive and equally beautiful location, Seneca Rocks, WV about 2.5 hours from DC. I haven’t edited my Harpers Ferry footage yet, but here’s a working video clip from Seneca Rocks.

Here’s a photo of Harpers Ferry. The launch spot is at the white building near the top right of the frame above the grove of trees. While most of the shoreline on both sides of the two rivers as well as the cliffs on the opposite side of the Potomac River are in a National Park, on Route 340 on the South side of the Shenandoah River, before you cross the upstream bridge there are a couple of areas you may be able to park and a short hike to a rock island directly across from the point. That south side of the Shenandoah along Rt. 340 i don’t believe is a National Park (could be part of Appalachian Trail), but your launch spot will have to be on a rock island in the River when the water level is lower. Given that the entire MD side of the Potomac River is the C&O National Park for 185 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD, I’m resigned to paddle out to the middle of the river when necessary to fly legally. I do have an extra kayak if any other pilots are inclined to go along. It’s a magical picture book town and plenty of great subjects to capture. Town, trains, cliffs, bridges, paddlers...wonderful.View attachment 57941
This is great info, I am out in Gainesville, Va and I have been researching Harper’s Ferry area for launch points. Thanks for this.

This is great info, I am out in Gainesville, Va and I have been researching Harper’s Ferry area for launch points. Thanks for this.
Sure, it’s a great place to practice filming and flying. So many features and because it’s surrounded by the two rivers and woodlands, not much concern about flying over people. Parking is directly adjacent. Some folks do go up there for the view, but it’s easy enough to avoid them by launching/landing from the grassy area while standing near the flagpole and benches.
I have lots of footage I haven’t gotten around to editing and publishing. I’ll see if I can post some of my favorite clips this week. It’s well worth the trip from Gainesville. From Bethesda, I can be flying inside of an hour.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada