DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Death of crystal sky monitor ?

redserv

Reactions
Now that we have DJI new smart controller, what you guys thhink? Their is still so many issues with crystal sky monitors that haven't been sorted out. Would DJI now shift focus on this new controller? Making the CS obselete? Share your thoughts

No since the controller only works with the M2. The CS works with all DJI aircraft and suddenly actually becomes a much more interesting option in all regards but compactness.
Great point. Ok so I am not feeling so bad now.

The CS has been pretty much problem free for me. Yes, DJI is slow to rollout the updates to the CS for a new drone, MP2 they were by far the fastest.

I currently use the CS 7.5 on MPP, MP2 P4 pro and P4 Pro VR 2.0. The only issue I have is when I switch

I know of the issues with the ultra bright screens burning out, so far my high bright 1000 nit has been fine.

DJI had to get on board with the competition, it will be interesting to see what the response to this controller is over time.

Paul C

The smart control may be a competition to CS 5.5" but only if DJI update the firmware and allow to use it with multiple drones. As far as CS 7.85" Ultra Bright I don't think it will be able to eliminate this model of CS, bigger and twice as bright display not to mention ability to use with different DJI drones puts smart remote out of competition.

Reactions: Thomas B
When using crystal sky with Mavic pro there is also the small screen on the controller giving lots of information. I found this invaluable recently when my drone disconnected and the crystal sky froze, I was able to bring the Mavic back to me using the small screen. I don't see this facility with the new controller.

When using crystal sky with Mavic pro there is also the small screen on the controller giving lots of information. I found this invaluable recently when my drone disconnected and the crystal sky froze, I was able to bring the Mavic back to me using the small screen. I don't see this facility with the new controller.

This is my main reason why I won't get the smart controller. That dedicated LCD on the mavic remote is too vital to me. I love my set up with the CS 5.5 on the mavic controller.

I'm going to bet that there's a RTH button somewhere that doesn't require the GO4 software to be running in the controller (I'm assuming the controller runs a customized Go4, since it's an Android machine). I wonder if the screen will display some basic info if the Go4 isn't running.

The controller will support any drone that flies using Occusync 2.0 --- which, I'd assume, more and more of the DJI drones will...so I think that the multi-drone argument will fail over time.

The fact that the M2 package (M2 and smart controller) is only $100 more than the M2 drone with a 5.5" CS, tells me it's definitely competition. They are encouraging you to NOT choose a 5.5 CS, based on the pricing and packaging alone.

Lastly, I've been told (but haven't confirmed) that the Smart Controller supports bluetooth...which the current CS's don't...so that would open the door for alternate control sticks, and other peripherals. Making for interesting capabilities and additional functionality.

- Gary

The smart control may be a competition to CS 5.5" but only if DJI update the firmware and allow to use it with multiple drones. As far as CS 7.85" Ultra Bright I don't think it will be able to eliminate this model of CS, bigger and twice as bright display not to mention ability to use with different DJI drones puts smart remote out of competition.
Not going to happen as the new RC is ocusync 2 and not backwards compatible with older drones.

Now that we have DJI new smart controller, what you guys thhink? Their is still so many issues with crystal sky monitors that haven't been sorted out. Would DJI now shift focus on this new controller? Making the CS obselete? Share your thoughts
I have both the 5.5 and 7.85 Crystalsky monitors the small one is for my Mavic 2 pro and larger (7.85) for my Inspire 2 with no problems what so ever, what are the issues your referring to ?. I have not and will not install any third party programs to either monitor. I bought these monitors strictkly for drone use. These monitors took the place of iphone and Apple mini ipad 4 tablet that had other none drone application installed. I read about some of the horror that are created as a result of third party programs. I've noticed that android devices have more problems then IOS devices. Their is no room in my hobby for this DJI new smart controller you are to confined in what you can use it for.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.JPG
    IMG_4295.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
Honestly my crystal sky works great most of the time except for the times I experience video lag. When this happens I just shutdown and restart everything and it's fine. Since DJI made the new controller I have not been seeing any updates for the cs monitor and was beginning to think support for it was dead.

Ok, so which would you guys get to support a second live viewing only HDMI field monitor, CS or the Smart Controller? I may need to use a second monitor to allow a client to see the live video feed but I don’t want to let them have any controls. I already have a good HDMI portable field monitor, but it wont work with my standard M2P controller. I have Goggles too, but I don’t want others to use them either. Options? Thanks for your input, I appreciate the help!

so which would you guys get to support a second live viewing only HDMI field monitor, CS or the Smart Controller?
If you have multiple DJI aircraft or having a M2E or M2ED go for the CS.
If you are only having OcuSync 2 aircraft, like the Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom, go for the SmartController.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000