DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Death Valley

Ranger Tom is correct. Nothing better than advertising "Hey look at me! I broke the law!" Took a motorcycle trip out of Vegas a few year ago through the valley. Amazing.

Ranger Tom is correct. Nothing better than advertising "Hey look at me! I broke the law!" Took a motorcycle trip out of Vegas a few year ago through the valley. Amazing.
It is an amazing place, I drove the length of it this time, stayed at Furnace Creek for a few days had a round of golf on the devil's course then carried on to San Francisco staying at a few places along the way

It is an amazing place, I drove the length of it this time, stayed at Furnace Creek for a few days had a round of golf on the devil's course then carried on to San Francisco staying at a few places along the way
I would love to go back and ride some of the other areas in the valley and around Vegas. The day after we road the passes over the mountains from Vegas to the valley were closed due to snow. Crazy.

I would love to go back and ride some of the other areas in the valley and around Vegas. The day after we road the passes over the mountains from Vegas to the valley were closed due to snow. Crazy.
I've rode some of route 66, Pacific coast highway and I'd like to ride the lonliest highway next

Ranger Tom said it was so it must be :)
It is no one else's responsibility to make sure your flight is legal. It appears from your post that you _were_ told you could not fly in a location governed by the NPS but chose to fly there anyway. Personally, I'd not advertise this fact. When people in charge tell me it is illegal to fly somewhere, I do my best not to give the hobby a bad name.

Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

To those that think there should be some limited flights in NPS areas.... prime example of why it won't happen. People can't follow the ban as it is. Why does anyone think people will then follow relaxed rules.

Edit: Not like you follow any of the current laws anyway...

Flying within 1/4 mile of an International Airport... flying over large groups of people at night....

Las Vegas strip

Reactions: UAVNV
It is no one else's responsibility to make sure your flight is legal. It appears from your post that you _were_ told you could not fly in a location governed by the NPS but chose to fly there anyway. Personally, I'd not advertise this fact. When people in charge tell me it is illegal to fly somewhere, I do my best not to give the hobby a bad name.

Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

To those that think there should be some limited flights in NPS areas.... prime example of why it won't happen. People can't follow the ban as it is. Why does anyone think people will then follow relaxed rules.
I didn't break the law I never took off or land in a national park, I stopped before entering took off flew over it took a couple of pictures and then landed outside the park again. Nowhere does it say you can't do that.

I didn't break the law I never took off or land in a national park, I stopped before entering took off flew over it took a couple of pictures and then landed outside the park again. Nowhere does it say you can't do that.

Certainly possible.

1542068516159.png

Yes but think of the damage you did while in the valley.

Reactions: jeplane
You can’t fly over a National Park, even if you took off and landed outside of the park.

But even if you did, you would have to maintain visual sight of your aircraft, so what would be the point to fly over the park so close to the boundary ?

Pls guys, stop breaking the law. We are getting enough restrictions as it is...

You can’t fly over a National Park, even if you took off and landed outside of the park.

This is factually incorrect. If you care to research it, you’ll find that you can’t launch, operate or land inside park boundaries.

Last edited:
@SteveCA I’m not in the States so do not know how or whether the law has been interpreted but has there ever been an argument as to what is classed as ‘operating inside’.

After all you are operating a drone that is inside or is it definitely based on where the pilot is stood?

Not looking to troll - just interested in how various jurisdictions apply their laws.

@SteveCA I’m not in the States so do not know how or whether the law has been interpreted but has there ever been an argument as to what is classed as ‘operating inside’.

After all you are operating a drone that is inside or is it definitely based on where the pilot is stood?

Not looking to troll - just interested in how various jurisdictions apply their laws.

As the regulations are currently written, the restrictions for National Parks in the US specify that a person may not launch, operate, or land within park boundaries. It does not restrict the flight, only the location of the pilot operating the drone.

As the regulations are currently written, the restrictions for National Parks in the US specify that a person may not launch, operate, or land within park boundaries. It does not restrict the flight, only the location of the pilot operating the drone.

Thanks for replying. In the UK that is exactly the sort of language a couple of lawyers would happily spend $$$$$$ of client money on arguing the intent :)

You must keep your aircraft under VLOS.

Even if you take off outside the park and then fly over it, exactly what kind of imaging are you expecting to get, since you will not get far?

You must keep your aircraft under VLOS.

Even if you take off outside the park and then fly over it, exactly what kind of imaging are you expecting to get, since you will not get far?

Aerial images from near the edge of the park, presumably - just as the OP posted.

Reactions: JDawg
"Land of the free."

When I was renewing my drivers license yesterday, I found out about the "Real ID" legislation. It seems that, if I want to fly commercial, within the United States, after Oct. 1, 2020, I have to have a "real ID" drivers license. In order to get one of those, I have to present documents equivalent to a certified copy of my birth certificate, my social security card and my old drivers license. Then my drivers license will have a feature that makes it more difficult to counterfeit.

Even though I have a passport, I decided to comply, since there was no added fee involved.

My mother-in-law was less fortunate. She has a birth certificate that has sufficed up to this point in her 83 year span as a Michigan born US Citizen. In order to get a "Real ID," she will have to apply for a new "certified birth certificate" and pay Michigan $34.

We lost our freedom when the "Patriot Act" was passed (talk about a misnomer).

Regarding drones, one of the restrictions that doesn't make a lot of sense is the 5 mile radius of any airport. The restriction is entirely generic. There is inadequate distinction between Ohare airport and a small town airport that gets perhaps two or three planes a day. Additionally, there is no distinction, when it comes to drones.

My drone weights 2 lbs and is made of plastic. Any airplane that can be brought down by colliding with a two pound plastic drone doesn't need to be airborne.

End of rant.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev