DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decision Time for me ...

rhoffart

Reactions
I have had 3 different Phantoms and don't fly too often. Currently I have a P4. Looking to move to a more portable platform. Trying to decide between the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Mavic Air. Mainly fly for fun, a few free gigs for friends and for training for the fire department where I volunteer. I may in the future, have the need fly over a wild-land fire or two and may need some distance ... less then a mile for sure. With that little bit of knowledge ... I'm asking current owners their opinion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx Rick

Trying to decide between the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Mavic Air
You can compare the specs for both of these drones here.

Both could certainly fly up to a mile away. Since you'll be flying in wild-land locations, you probably won't run into trouble with Wi-Fi interference if you decide to go with the Mavic Air.

I wonder how well the MA does in heavy wooded areas with respect to its max distance? I just figure if my MP can go out a few miles w/o issues then closer in (say a mile or two) I'd have a good clean signal. You gotta like how compact the Mavic Air is though.

I just got my MPP and absolutely love it. Occusync, enough said. Ive seen both side by side, I really wouldnt call the MPP big by any means, but the air is def. smaller. If you dont care that it wont fit in your pocket and are willing to spend a little extra, I would say MPP.

Reactions: galfridus
I just got my MPP and absolutely love it. Occusync, enough said. Ive seen both side by side, I really wouldnt call the MPP big by any means, but the air is def. smaller. If you dont care that it wont fit in your pocket and are willing to spend a little extra, I would say MPP.
Thanks ... I'm leaning To the MPP. No need for pocket size, just when I go hiking I want something that doesn't take a whole back pack.

The MPP has a longer flying time, which I could see being relevant in a fire fighting application.

I think bottom line, if video/picture quality is absolutely paramount the MA might be something to consider. Otherwise, the MPP is superior in most other relevant aspects. If I had to choose, it would definitely be the MPP - it's more of a general purpose workhorse.

Reactions: rhoffart
Really, I was researching and rumors. Yes I can for sure wait. Good sources? Any leaks on improvements?

msinger cited the best source for rumors. I got an Air and am very happy with it because size and price (and having it NOW!) were more important to me than the rumored changes.

I have had 3 different Phantoms and don't fly too often. Currently I have a P4. Looking to move to a more portable platform. Trying to decide between the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Mavic Air. Mainly fly for fun, a few free gigs for friends and for training for the fire department where I volunteer. I may in the future, have the need fly over a wild-land fire or two and may need some distance ... less then a mile for sure. With that little bit of knowledge ... I'm asking current owners their opinion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx Rick
Mavic Air: More portable, better camera, easier to fly; Mavic Pro: About 3-4 min more flight time, really good transmission.
I got the air for the camera. The only reason for the pro at this point is if you are a range junkie.

The MPP has a longer flying time, which I could see being relevant in a fire fighting application.

I think bottom line, if video/picture quality is absolutely paramount the MA might be something to consider. Otherwise, the MPP is superior in most other relevant aspects. If I had to choose, it would definitely be the MPP - it's more of a general purpose workhorse.
? There's only 2 things the MPP is better at and that's range and battery ....the Air is more technically advanced in every way....but saying that I can max my range out on my Air at over 5km easily now after last firmware update ....zero lag or stutter.....it actually performed better then my lightbridge P3 and P4 last weekend

I've just bought an Air coming from a P3A and P4 normal and all I can say it's far better then both...the camera is superb with crystal clear picture and video compared to the other 2...
Don't believe all the fake news about enhanced WiFi.....I'm on FCC transmission mode and it's matching and in some cases beating my previous phantoms ....5+km plus great signal in suburban areas behind trees ......17/18 min real world battery life......so glad I didn't buy the old model MP

Air is more technically advanced in every way

In what ways that would benefit for the OP's intended use the majority of the time?

From what I know:

The Air is smaller.

Relevant if the MPP is too big. My MP and all the things I need to fly fit into a 13x9x5 inch case. There is a point of diminishing returns.

The Air has more advanced OA.

Relevant if you have OA enabled and the conditions are right.

The Air has a higher bit-rate camera.

Relevant if the bit-rate on the MPP isn't sufficient and the trade-offs are not a concern. It's not like the MPP camera is objectively bad.

If those things are more important than flight time and transmission resilience, then yes, the MA might be a better choice. For me, none of those things are relevant. I'd rather be flying longer in more adverse conditions than have features that I don't benefit from.

Point being, "advanced" doesn't always translate into tangibly better.

In what ways that would benefit for the OP's intended use the majority of the time?

From what I know:

The Air is smaller.

Relevant if the MPP is too big. My MP and all the things I need to fly fit into a 13x9x5 inch case. There is a point of diminishing returns.

The Air has more advanced OA.

Relevant if you have OA enabled and the conditions are right.

The Air has a higher bit-rate camera.

Relevant if the bit-rate on the MPP isn't sufficient and the trade-offs are not a concern. It's not like the MPP camera is objectively bad.

If those things are more important than flight time and transmission resilience, then yes, the MA might be a better choice. For me, none of those things are relevant. I'd rather be flying longer in more adverse conditions than have features that I don't benefit from.

Point being, "advanced" doesn't always translate into tangibly better.
I get 5k on both 2.4 and 5.8 in a city, forested area, and neighborhood. At this point, it’s gonna be Air or Pro 2, and I’m gonna let you know, the pro 2 is expected to be $1299 base model. Wayyyyy too much for myself and others. Plus, the Air has antenna mods and battery mods just like the MP, and will be supported longer because it’s newer.

Reactions: dragonmuzz
Wow, thanks guys ... that's a lot to think about. @cwil193 are you saying you can get 3 miles with the air? I am no range junkie and honestly don't see me going over 1/2 mile. Any bigger fire then that we would have Texas Forest Service involved and I'd be grounded anyway.

Wow, thanks guys ... that's a lot to think about. @cwil193 are you saying you can get 3 miles with the air? I am no range junkie and honestly don't see me going over 1/2 mile. Any bigger fire then that we would have Texas Forest Service involved and I'd be grounded anyway.
Yes I can, just have to look at the 2 different WiFi frequencies and find a channel with the least amount of interference. There are more range related posts on the Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard thread, I recommend checking it out.

Ok here is one more please. If I have the DJI headset, as I understand it the M Pro will connect wireless. Can I run a phone while someone else looks thru the headset? Als, I think the Air cannot do this, correct?

Ok here is one more please. If I have the DJI headset, as I understand it the M Pro will connect wireless. Can I run a phone while someone else looks thru the headset?
That's correct if you're referring to the DJI Goggles.

I think the Air cannot do this, correct?
When flying the Mavic Air, the DJI Goggles take the place of the mobile device. An alternative would be to use a mobile device that has an HDMI output (like the Nvidia Shield K1 or DJI CrystalSky) and then connect the DJI Goggles to that output (instead of the remote controller).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu