DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dedicated phone for flying the mini

Tomyoder

Reactions
Was having issues with the whole deal until someone from this forum spoke about compatible devices. So I got a pixel 2 and now it all works...cool. my question is this...the pixel 2 is dedicated to running the drone, no service, not planning on getting service. Do I need a phones' wifi or data connection to fly? I'm apprehensive about sending it long distance.

Reactions: Herbie
Do I need a phones' wifi or data connection to fly?
No. But, you will need an Internet connection to use any DJI Fly features that require connecting to the Internet.

To be thinking forward you will need a phone (with a data plan) or hotspot if remote ID in its current form (which looks like it will) be the standard.

To be thinking forward you will need a phone (with a data plan) or hotspot if remote ID in its current form (which looks like it will) be the standard.
I'm not sure an Internet connection will ever be required since the aircraft must be able to broadcast its identifying information directly from the aircraft itself. Plus, it's not possible to connect to the Internet in some flying locations.

No active internet required however make sure you cache your map of the location, while you have internet.

Also, if this is your first time out, be sure to get logged in on Fly app, or youll be height and distance limited. If youve been out before your probably already logged in and your device will keep that in memory so no internet needed at location.

No active internet required however make sure you cache your map of the location, while you have internet.

Also, if this is your first time out, be sure to get logged in on Fly app, or youll be height and distance limited. If youve been out before your probably already logged in and your device will keep that in memory so no internet needed at location.
How do I cache the map? Is this done on the DJI FLy app? thanks

When home with wifi connection, open DJI Fly app, click the map and zoom over intended location and around. That's all.

Alternatively, on location open DJI Fly app, make a Hotspot with your other phone, click map in application, zoom over your Mini range , close Hotspot and go fly

Fly safe.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I have the exact same setup, including the Pixel2 - I needed an internet connection for a firmware update, but not to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs