DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Defect or human error?

buffington

Reactions
I'm new to the Mavic Pro, but not to digital photography. I've been shooting digital semi-professionally for 15+ years and have learned what causes noise in a still shot. I can't say the same for video though.

Try as I might I'm seeing some odd noise in footage captured by my Mavic Pro.

Here's a link to a small sample of some recent footage.

The settings:
- Manual white balance (6400k)
- Manual exposure
- ISO: 200
- Shutter: 400
- Style: +1, +1, 0
- Video Size: 4k/24

If you look at the right side of the footage, you'll see the noise pretty clearly. When you look at the discrete channels you'll see there's a bit of noise in red, almost none in green, and a lot in blue.

The blue noise actually seems to form a sort of checkerboard of blue noise. You'll see squarish chunks where the noise is heaviest.

Watching the parade scopes in Resolve I noticed something peculiar. Every 8 frames every channel pulses brighter for one frame. I have no idea what to make of this, but maybe it's consistent enough that it seems worth noting.

It's also not just this shot. I have footage taken following a car on a sunny day above salt flats. At the lowest sensitivity ISO, with the shutter set to give me a slightly underexposed shot, I still get noise. In fact, I've never not seen noise in my shots. I've tested a lot of different settings where I wouldn't expect to see noise and it's there.

So I'm curious: does the noise seem normal? Do I have a defective camera or am I missing something crucial? I'm not expecting miracles from this camera, but I've seen unprocessed, noise free footage from other Mavics and this just seems off.

There are a few youtube videos on this like:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crazy. I knew nothing about the H.264 intra-frame flicker, yet it's exactly what I was seeing with the "every 8 frames" thing. I guess it's not a defect nor human error. Kinda wish it'd been my fault though,

I'll have to invest in Neat video I guess. I doubt there's any chance DJI will solve it for existing Mavics since it's most likely that the H.264 encoding is done using a purpose built chip. And there's no way that the noise reduction could be done in realtime while recording the way Neat can do it.

I'm new to drones... I have watched lots and lots of vids on youtube...
When I saw your "every 8 frames"... I remembered the 1st video.

I have zero experience of video editing.. I just remember things :)

Reactions: jetyancey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archanut