DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Definitely range issues with Mini 3 pro

Sorry, did I not mention I was using a telescope? (ps... I made those number up).

14 CFR § 107.31 - Visual line of sight aircraft operation:​

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

Sorry, did I not mention that I had an observer following the drone on a trail bike? He did say it was a bit hairy at times trying to keep it in sight, but he did manage ok .... and at times, his two way radio was a bit staticcy, but he managed ok ...

Sorry, did I not mention that I had an observer following the drone on a trail bike? He did say it was a bit hairy at times trying to keep it in sight, but he did manage ok .... and at times, his two way radio was a bit staticcy, but he managed ok ...

So first it is you can see over 3 miles due to your 100/100 eyesight, then it's with a telescope, then it's with a observer. Have I missed any other stories?

You guys aren't gettin' it. Some people could care less about VLOS, rules, etc.... not saying it's right, but I'm sure that's what he's getting at. Plus the location states Australia.

Some people could care less about VLOS, rules, etc.... not saying it's right, but I'm sure that's what he's getting at.
… and I guess by extension he/she could care less about putting any manned aircraft in danger and the lives of the people onboard!

Chris

and how is it that you KNOW that I don't have 5X resolution on my retina?
The same way I know you can't see individual bacteria on your hand, no matter how insistent you are that you can.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(2) Becomes difficult to impossible along the line of sight, in addition to determining orientation while stationary, well short of maximum visual range. Depending on visual acuity, inability to tell if the drone is flying toward or away from you can be limited to 500-1000 ft depending on the visual background.

Far too many people misunderstand VLOS to mean simply, "you can see it". Rather, you need to be able to also see that it's moving where you are intending it to go, necessary to be in control.

You are not meeting VLOS requirements if you need to look at the camera view to figure out where it's pointing.

The same way I know you can't see individual bacteria on your hand, no matter how insistent you are that you can.

Apparently Suzygs1000's eyesight comes and goes. (trolling?)
In Jan he said "... and I don't believe any one can see one (a mini anyway) at over 500 metres away ..."
but now has 100/100 3mile eyesight.

Jan ref post in thread

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.
What does §107 rules have to do with a pilot in Australia?

Reactions: MavicMover
Range test today with Mini 3 PRO on DJI RC .... quality is not good, as it is the screen record from the DJI RC ...I also had a Mini 2 with the N1, and the best range I got with that was just over 3k's ... the point being that many have mentioned that the DJI RC has poor performance due to lack of external antennas ... I think this proves that that is incorrect ... and yes, I have exceptional eyesight for an 80 year old, and I could visually see the drone at all times .... actually went out to a bit over 5400 metres, but video was starting to break up ... also, can someone explain to me what the arrows on the Home icon mean .. it changes between blue and green ... is this the way I am pointing the controller? If so, it appears that I was never actually pointing directly at the drone? Video can be seen at:
.... I think.
Video not showing. It states that it is private.

What does §107 rules have to do with a pilot in Australia?
Its definition of the phrase "visual line of sight" extends beyond that particular set of rules. If the Australian definition is different, please share it, so we can all learn. Thanks in advance!

Its definition of the phrase "visual line of sight" extends beyond that particular set of rules. If the Australian definition is different, please share it, so we can all learn. Thanks in advance!
While definitions of “visual line of sight” may be fundamentally the same between different countries we do not quote §107 rules to those outside of the USA anymore than we would want someone quoting Australian, Canadian, European Union, or any other countries rules to us in the USA because they are not binding outside the country of origin. If you are going to quote a law or regulation, please do due diligence and quote those from the country they are flying in as a common courtesy.

While definitions of “visual line of sight” may be fundamentally the same between different countries we do not quote §107 rules to those outside of the USA anymore than we would want someone quoting Australian, Canadian, European Union, or any other countries rules to us in the USA because they are not binding outside the country of origin. If you are going to quote a law or regulation, please do due diligence and quote those from the country they are flying in as a common courtesy.

The recreational VLOS rule in Australia is similar to those in the U.S., Canada, and the E.U.

Always keep your drone within visual line-of-sight. This means always being able to see the drone with your own eyes (rather than through a device, screen or goggles).

Australian Government Civil Aviation Safety Authority

The recreational VLOS rule in Australia is similar to those in the U.S., Canada, and the E.U.

Always keep your drone within visual line-of-sight. This means always being able to see the drone with your own eyes (rather than through a device, screen or goggles).

Australian Government Civil Aviation Safety Authority
I that is what I said, but when quoting rules and regs to another member do it with those that apply to them. NOT rules from a country they are not operating in. THAT is Common Courtesy. Has my point been made? I can’t be any plainer than that.

I’m not trying to be mean, self righteous, or indignant, but quoting rules that apply in your country and not theirs just makes no sense whatsoever.

I that is what I said, but when quoting rules and regs to another member do it with those that apply to them. NOT rules from a country they are not operating in. THAT is Common Courtesy. Has my point been made? I can’t be any plainer than that.

I’m not trying to be mean, self righteous, or indignant, but quoting rules that apply in your country and not theirs just makes no sense whatsoever.
Whoa, now.

I agree that comments should consider the home country of the OP. You're firing on friendly troops here.

I did exercise "common courtesy " (lower case) by looking up the VLOS rules for Australia, and noted that they are similar to those in the EU and Canada. That's not always the case, but it is the case with respect to the basic VLOS rules.

Whoa, now.

I agree that comments should consider the home country of the OP. You're firing on friendly troops here.

I did exercise "common courtesy " (lower case) by looking up the VLOS rules for Australia, and noted that they are similar to those in the EU and Canada. That's not always the case, but it is the case with respect to the basic VLOS rules.
Sorry MS, I did not intend to necessarily fire in your direction. It is a sticking point with me when people start quoting laws of one country at a member that is flying in a different country. Even if they are verbatim and word for word they do not apply and should not be used.

I fly near the Canadian border and if I cross that invisible line in the sky I fall under their jurisdiction and I currently do not have the credentials to fly in Canadian airspace. I cannot bring the rules I fly under into their airspace. While many things are very much the same others are very different and using §107 or §44809 to fly there is not going to go over well.

My point is that if you are going to quote drone law at least use the correct one when you post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000