DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detroit area question from a soon to be AZ newbie

Sunburninaz

Reactions
Greetings, all. I live in Arizona and I am planning on buying a Mavic within the next few months (I actually have a Fly More Combo at what I think is a great price in my Amazon cart as I type this). As for the reason for this post, my wife was born and raised in the Farmington Hills area and it's an annual trip for us. We are headed back there in a few weeks. Unfortunately, as my in-laws age (94 and 84), each trip potentially becomes one of the last so I would like to record as much of the area for my kids' memories as possible. Some of our favorite places include the Kensington Lake area, Orchard Lake, the Franklin Cider Mill (hopefully open for business when we get there!) and even the river front down near Belle Isle.

My dilemma is this - should I go ahead and pull the trigger on my Amazon cart Mavic now so that I have it for our trip, or should I wait to see if the holidays bring better sales? Other than the upcoming trip I am in no particular hurry as I am very busy with work. So here's my question to any of you that may know - will I be able to fly a drone (legally) in at least those specific areas? I've looked at the maps and think I can, but by the same token I've read that West Bloomfield in its entirety is a no-fly zone (and I think that Orchard Lake is in West Bloomfield). Any help will be appreciated.

Doug

Reactions: dirkclod
Greetings, all. I live in Arizona and I am planning on buying a Mavic within the next few months (I actually have a Fly More Combo at what I think is a great price in my Amazon cart as I type this). As for the reason for this post, my wife was born and raised in the Farmington Hills area and it's an annual trip for us. We are headed back there in a few weeks. Unfortunately, as my in-laws age (94 and 84), each trip potentially becomes one of the last so I would like to record as much of the area for my kids' memories as possible. Some of our favorite places include the Kensington Lake area, Orchard Lake, the Franklin Cider Mill (hopefully open for business when we get there!) and even the river front down near Belle Isle.

My dilemma is this - should I go ahead and pull the trigger on my Amazon cart Mavic now so that I have it for our trip, or should I wait to see if the holidays bring better sales? Other than the upcoming trip I am in no particular hurry as I am very busy with work. So here's my question to any of you that may know - will I be able to fly a drone (legally) in at least those specific areas? I've looked at the maps and think I can, but by the same token I've read that West Bloomfield in its entirety is a no-fly zone (and I think that Orchard Lake is in West Bloomfield). Any help will be appreciated.

Doug
Howdy from Wyoming @Sunburninaz , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Sunburninaz
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.
Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

My dilemma is this - should I go ahead and pull the trigger on my Amazon cart Mavic now so that I have it for our trip, or should I wait to see if the holidays bring better sales?
Special sales always come during the upcoming holidays.

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it and make some memories!

Belle isle and Kensington I have flown in both with no issues. Park staff were even watching and asking for photos for their Facebook as we were doing a volunteer clean up at belle isle. Park on top of the mgm garage and you can launch there and get good overhead shots of downtown Detroit / across the way to Canada.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13