DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Have a Fly Away or Did the Drone Return to Home?

Looks like a lot of GPS health issues. And a really severe drop towards the end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 13.44.31.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 13.44.31.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 62

Based on the video of this flight, the drone darn near made it to the Home Point. Can't remember how close, but it was close (>200ft). Then it suddenly turned 180 deg. and headed north. A fly away or a drift away?

It is my understanding the Magic needs a textured home point to take off and return. Maybe the smooth white lake home point was the problem?

Sent from my ST1009 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thanks to all that took part in the project to determine the root cause of why the drone ended up landing far away from the locked in Home Point.

Perhaps the last piece of business is to get the GPS health issue fixed. Based on the comments from you, I think I heard it's a hardware problem with the on board GPS system. If so, I will now reach out to DJI, share with them the problem and provide them with any of the data that you all have interpreted, for their review.
If it were your drone, you had for less than 3 weeks, what would you expect DJI to do?
I did purchase their insurance/repair/replace program.., Fresh Care or something like that.

Thanks to all that took part in the project to determine the root cause of why the drone ended up landing far away from the locked in Home Point.

Perhaps the last piece of business is to get the GPS health issue fixed. Based on the comments from you, I think I heard it's a hardware problem with the on board GPS system. If so, I will now reach out to DJI, share with them the problem and provide them with any of the data that you all have interpreted, for their review.
If it were your drone, you had for less than 3 weeks, what would you expect DJI to do?
I did purchase their insurance/repair/replace program.., Fresh Care or something like that.
Well I've found a structural defect on my drone yesterday, and I expect them to fix it free of charge since it's the left support plate of the rear left folding arm. It's supposed to prevent the arm from singing up when the propellers pull the drone up.

As for altitude data and whether or not the drone crashed or landed, I can say with certainty that it descended safely, hovered for 104 seconds above the ground and then landed when the battery ran out.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 27
So the bird is exactly as I expected. No new issues. After seeing that you continue to have issues similar to those that caused your fly-away, there is only one thing I would do with it.

Get rid of it! RMA back to DJI. I would not trust it. If you can't trust it you can't fly it more than a few feet from you without being concerned it's gonna run off again and land who-knows-where or on who-knows-what.

Ditch that defective bird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cyberpower678
So the bird is exactly as I expected. No new issues. After seeing that you continue to have issues similar to those that caused your fly-away, there is only one thing I would do with it.

Get rid of it! RMA back to DJI. I would not trust it. If you can't trust it you can't fly it more than a few feet from you without being concerned it's gonna run off again and land who-knows-where or on who-knows-what.

Sorry..., what does RMA stand for? Just not familiar with the term. Do you have sense if this is something DJI can fix?

Sorry..., what does RMA stand for? Just not familiar with the term. Do you have sense if this is something DJI can fix?
RMA - return merchandise authorization

Yes I have a feeling there is a hardware issue with your Mavic. DJI should fix or replace.

No new issues isn't the point I was trying to make. The Mavic was soaked in all directions when it was retrieved. The point I was making is that it's simpler better to try to avoid creating new issues by being cautious, in this case ensure the drone is dry, before powering it back on.

No new issues isn't the point I was trying to make. The Mavic was soaked in all directions when it was retrieved. The point I was making is that it's simpler better to try to avoid creating new issues by being cautious, in this case ensure the drone is dry, before powering it back on.
Got it.

My point was, given what we knew, it was likely that there was no additional damage to the bird. I agree drying it out was necessary. I just wanted him to know the probability of their being catastrophic damage to his Mavic was not high. At that time in the recovery process nobody knew. Everyone was guessing. I'm betting that was disconcerting I wanted to offer my true appraisal of the situation that could maybe bring him a little hope that he hadn't ruined his bird. Fortunately for him it, I was correct. Unfortunately, his original problem persists and he will be required to send it in for repair/replacement. That is much easier to accomplish with DJI when it isn't ruined by water damage. I'm happy for him and hope he gets his bird airworthy again soon.

Cheers - keep flying

Reactions: Cyberpower678
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d