DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I Purchase a Used/Refurbished Drone ?

scott rand

Reactions
So, yesterday was my first ever flight with my Mavic Air 2. Didn’t even have to calibrate anything. Great drone, holy crap this thing is awesome, went well over a mile with no issues, wasn’t trying to do a distance test, was just enjoying the flight. Landed right in the middle of the H on my flight pad on return to home. Amazing.

That being said, when I check my flight data center. It shows my flight from yesterday with all the data: date, distance, altitude, duration, and then a snapshot pic of my flight. But in the section above that, it shows total distance, total flight time, and total flights. It shows I’ve flown it 23 times (only 1 flight so far), and the total distance is obviously way further than the ONE flight I’ve taken.

My first thought was, did I buy a used/refurbished drone, the listing stated brand new. Well I don’t think it’s the case, because it’s linked to my profile. I own a Mavic Pro 1 and Mavic Air 1, so I was thinking it was linking all of my flights in my PERSONAL flight data, though it ONLY shows the flight from yesterday). If that’s the case, it’s off by about 7 flights. Very confused, especially since yesterday was the ONLY time I ever used the DJI Fly app.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be happening.

Where did you buy it from ?
It could be refurbished, was the box sealed ?

it was brand new if it came with the original clear film covering the box and the seal was unbroken were all the protective stickers on the sensors ,if not contact the vendor it could have been a return

So, yesterday was my first ever flight with my Mavic Air 2. Didn’t even have to calibrate anything. Great drone, holy crap this thing is awesome, went well over a mile with no issues, wasn’t trying to do a distance test, was just enjoying the flight. Landed right in the middle of the H on my flight pad on return to home. Amazing.

That being said, when I check my flight data center. It shows my flight from yesterday with all the data: date, distance, altitude, duration, and then a snapshot pic of my flight. But in the section above that, it shows total distance, total flight time, and total flights. It shows I’ve flown it 23 times (only 1 flight so far), and the total distance is obviously way further than the ONE flight I’ve taken.

My first thought was, did I buy a used/refurbished drone, the listing stated brand new. Well I don’t think it’s the case, because it’s linked to my profile. I own a Mavic Pro 1 and Mavic Air 1, so I was thinking it was linking all of my flights in my PERSONAL flight data, though it ONLY shows the flight from yesterday). If that’s the case, it’s off by about 7 flights. Very confused, especially since yesterday was the ONLY time I ever used the DJI Fly app.

If it is brand new, then surely it should have come in a sealed box, the drone would have stickers all over the legs and gimbal and the packaging for the props would be sealed.

If that is not the case, then yes, your drone has probably flown before, so it is not brand new.

Check the serial number.

I don't know if it's true across DJI's line, but I have read that if the letter "R" is in the number for the Spark, it's been refurbished.

Where did you buy it from ?
It could be refurbished, was the box sealed ?
DJI Store via Amazon, completely sealed. When opened, everything was in its sealed compartments, bags etc. Had a million stickers to take off.

Reactions: MA2 317
DJI Store via Amazon, completely sealed. When opened, everything was in its sealed compartments, bags etc. Had a million stickers to take off.
i think it has to do with your other drones that you have already flown i have noticed that the flights i have made showing in the GO4 app do not contain any that the MM has flown ,which show in the Fly app also the total number of flights in the fly app is different to whats shown in the GO4 app
then,when i go on Airdata the flight records for each drone dont match the app totals as well if you add the totals together i wouldnt worry about it as the flight records and points totals are really just for a bit of fun and something to look at when you cant fly, they are not super accurate

Another thought... ?

Are you using the same device across all your drones?

I started off flying the DJI Spark on a mini4.

Occasionally I would fly with an Android device(s) and noticed my flight logs weren't the same like yours. Close, but missing a few.

I haven't synced the logs on the MA2 as I'm using the same account and scenario with two platforms (iOS and Android).

There might also be a problem syncing flights between the Go Fly, Go4, etc apps that fly the DJI fleet?

Just a guess.

i think it has to do with your other drones that you have already flown i have noticed that the flights i have made showing in the GO4 app do not contain any that the MM has flown ,which show in the Fly app also the total number of flights in the fly app is different to whats shown in the GO4 app
then,when i go on Airdata the flight records for each drone dont match the app totals as well if you add the totals together i wouldnt worry about it as the flight records and points totals are really just for a bit of fun and something to look at when you cant fly, they are not super accurate

I had the same thought and experience with my platforms.

Reactions: old man mavic
So, some more info. My Serial number does NOT have an R in it. The serial number in the battery compartment matches the box exactly. My drone was made in June 2020 (says so on the box), I ordered it July 10th, received it July 13th.

Thats why I felt the flight data was so weird. When you check the flight data without logging into my account, it only shows the 1 flight, but when I log in, it shows 23 flights and around 14 miles in flight distance. Also what’s weird is it’s not showing the flights it says I have in the lower section, just the one flight from yesterday.

I’ve been using my IPhone XS Max since I got it in Oct 2018, for all 3 drones. But you make a good point, for the Mavic Pro, my first flights were prior to me getting the IPhone XS Max, was using an IPhone 7+ or whatever it was called, so maybe that is why there is a difference in the TOTAL amount of flights.

Just want to thank everybody. That’s why this is the best drone community ever. Great replies, I do feel much better about what I felt was strange. All the answers make a lot of sense.

I have to say, despite only having 1 flight under my belt, this is my favorite DJI drone I own. Just flied like a champ, ZERO issues, and despite being a little windy, it flew smooth and steady. Love the new controller too, love having the phone up top, love being able to keep the case on the phone, just loved everything about it.

Like I said, this is the best drone community. I’ve learned so much about drones from everybody here, gotten most of my drone accessories because of this message board (great suggestions). I’ve been on these message boards since 2016, 1st drone was a Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ (Still have it, but haven’t flown it in years).

• Love
Reactions: sarniac and MA2 317
Love the new controller too, love having the phone up top, love being able to keep the case on the phone, just loved everything about it.

Since I have a rig set up for the Spark, I didn't have everything ready for the MA2 and had to fly with my phone.

Check this out for an impromptu neck lanyard to help with future flights.

I had the same experience. I found that the dji fly app does lump all drone data into one all encompassing set of Flight data listings.
Gets kind of confusing at times.

Reactions: scott rand
you can look back at the individual flights ..Profile>more> It will show all your flights with the fly app. The line above shows total DJI flights with all DJI apps, distance and flight time. All aircraft or named is a choice you can make but I only have one FLY APP aircraft.

I had the same experience. I found that the dji fly app does lump all drone data into one all encompassing set of Flight data listings.
Gets kind of confusing at times.
Thanks Ranger, I appreciate your reply, very helpful. Thought I was going crazy lol.

you can look back at the individual flights ..Profile>more> It will show all your flights with the fly app. The line above shows total DJI flights with all DJI apps, distance and flight time. All aircraft or named is a choice you can make but I only have one FLY APP aircraft.
Thanks, appreciate it. Makes me feel better.

It only shows the ONE flight below the line below.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf