DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did U get refresh replacement without old drone to send in?

Jackcutrone

Reactions
Well, it happened though I was extremely careful. Had 13 satellites and full batteries. Four minutes into the flight I got a weak signal warning. The drone was about 400 feet in the air and there were no obstructions to interfere with the signal. Next the GoApp immediately reported disconnected. Apparently I had the presence of mind to center the sticks. When I looked at the RC, it too said disconnected. So I wasn't worried and just waited for automatic return to home on signal loss. But it never came back.

I posted a thread seeking assistance and gave a link to my flight log. Meta4 and SAR104 were very helpful. They both said that the abrupt power loss in all likelihood meant that the battery had come loose and the drone lost all power. SAR104 used an engineering program to calculate the trajectory of the drone from the point of power loss to impact using drone velocity before power loss, height and wind speed and direction. His calculations placed it in a heavily wooded area. I have been searching for 3 days but haven't been able to find the drone. The ground under the thick tree canopy has very little undergrowth and gives a clear view of the ground. I did a thorough search pattern and could not locate it. Consulting again with SAR104, he is certain that it went into the trees and suggested that it is very likely stuck in a tree,

The trees are old oaks and 80-100 high with very dense foliage. These oaks don't lose their leaves in the fall and so I do not see any chance of finding the drone and even if I did would have no way to recover it. It might as well be on the moon.

I want to make a refresh claim. I am aware that they will not honor the claims generally unless you can return the old drone. I can't do that. I have heard of a few cases where they did replace the drone without the old one and so I am soliciting responses from those people who made a successful claim with sending in the old one. That way, when DJI says that they won't replace it without the old one, I can respond with, "well you did in this case, and in this case, and in this case." in order to try to persuade them to honor the claim. So, if you were able to make a successful claim without the old drone, please let me know.

I would ask that you PM me with the details rather than post them just to ensure your privacy. Please let me know: your name, location, the date of the loss, the circumstances, the type of DJI drone and any information about how you persuaded them to send you a new one.

Thanks a bunch for the help,

Distraught DJI Mavic Pro owner, Jack

They won't replace it as refresh without the old one, but with the logs they may honor a warranty claim without the old one.

Sometimes as a compromise, they'll offer you 30% off the cost of replacement AC only if they don't think it's a warranty issue. Not sure if that includes the battery.

I lost MAVIC AIR and thought that was it. While visiting the DJI store I discussed my lost and lucky enough had the flight log which they viewed and said that I might have a claim. I also sent the video to the shop when I got home. The log and video were sent to DJI in China and to my surprise a new drone and battery were sent to me via the store. I did not have any insurance cover.

Reactions: Flycaster
Womble -
Thanks for responding. It is heartening to find a situation where DJI replaced the unit without the old one being sent in. However, it would be even more helpful if you could supply more detail. What exactly happened? What did the log show? Can you send me a link to the flight log? Was the loss over water or land? What caused you to lose it? Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing your real name, that would be helpful. And what was the approximate date of the loss? What did you say to DJI that made them replace it?

Jack post your flight logs here and maybe @sar104 @Meta4 or one of the others can tell you what happened to yours and then go from there .

Jack post your flight logs here and maybe @sar104 @Meta4 or one of the others can tell you what happened to yours and then go from there .

Already done. The cause was either a battery disconnect or FC failure.

Reactions: dirkclod
OK, thanks Thumbswayup Thumbswayup

Womble -
Thanks for responding. It is heartening to find a situation where DJI replaced the unit without the old one being sent in. However, it would be even more helpful if you could supply more detail. What exactly happened? What did the log show? Can you send me a link to the flight log? Was the loss over water or land? What caused you to lose it? Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing your real name, that would be helpful. And what was the approximate date of the loss? What did you say to DJI that made them replace it?
The only way DJI will replace a drone without the broken one is if the logs show a warranty issue. Having refresh might bias them to honor warranty in an iffy case. If the warranty expired, they won't even look at the logs. Refresh+ extends the warranty to two years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+