DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did you report your crash to the NTSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my key takeaway would be the difference between "fly away" and "loss link". I'm guessing if you lose link and the drone RTHs, you're good. If you lose link and the drone flies away, it's an NTSB issue.
My takeaway is one needs to understand (as the question reads) what constitutes "A flight control failure" which is defined as either a hardware or software issue.

Not Loss of control due to pilot error; Loss of control due to operation outside of aircraft envelope; or Lost Link

My takeaway is one needs to understand (as the question reads) what constitutes "A flight control failure" which is defined as either a hardware or software issue.

Not Loss of control due to pilot error; Loss of control due to operation outside of aircraft envelope; or Lost Link
A lost link could be hardware or software failure too. So it's incident dependent.

Reactions: GFields
Just curious how many pilots out there who have had serious crashes with no property damage or injuries have actually complied and reported to the NTSB

208 according to the NTSB database.

I'm not going to read them all, but some will be drone crashes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.17.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.17.26 AM.png
    176 KB · Views: 5
Can guarantee no one every does this, or at least hobbyists do not.

A lost link could be hardware or software failure too. So it's incident dependent.
I was reinterating the list
1666538700652.png

With that said, "lost link" would have to be determined as a software or hardware failure by DJI or some source before it would be necessary to report it correct? Lost link is most caused by out-of-range or interference which is NOT a software or hardware issue.

I bet the NTSB really loves it when someone tells them they ran their DJI Mini into a tree and scratched a prop.

Scramble the forensic team!

I bet the NTSB really loves it when someone tells them they ran their DJI Mini into a tree and scratched a prop.

Scramble the forensic team!
That would be considered "pilot error" and not necessary to report it

Reactions: Torque
That would be considered "pilot error" and not necessary to report it
I think you need to check out the question on the first page that P.I. has for its students that I posted from one of the test.

I think you need to check out the question on the first page that P.I. has for its students that I posted from one of the test.
And I think YOU need to re-read your own post!

A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB. Sure must be a lot of reporting with the people that will not use any altitude and constantly crashing into trees and then crashing into the ground.

The question reads, "A flight control failure" ...., we have discussed what a flight control failure is and is not. "Someone
running their DJI Mini into a tree and scratched a prop." is NOT a "flight control failure.

I now get the picture that you are simply trolling or just refusing to get it.

And I think YOU need to re-read your own post!

A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB. Sure must be a lot of reporting with the people that will not use any altitude and constantly crashing into trees and then crashing into the ground.

The question reads, "A flight control failure" ...., we have discussed what a flight control failure is and is not. "Someone
running their DJI Mini into a tree and scratched a prop." is NOT a "flight control failure.

I now get the picture that you are simply trolling or just refusing to get it.
Ah.... I see your point now....thanks.....and don't try to be rude.

Ah.... I see your point now....thanks.....and don't try to be rude.
Being to the point may sound rude to you but that is not my intent.

• Haha
The OP question has been answered and this thread seems to be going sideways so it is done

1666546442512.png

Thanks for opening this back up @gfields.

I did hear back from the FAA. I reached out to [email protected] (y'all should use this email for all FAA UAS questions).

The official word on whether or not lost link is reportable to NTSB depends on what happens after you lose link.

Official answer:

"Good Morning Vic

Per the attached NTSB pdf, true flyaways are reportable to the NTSB, but not lost link if the drone executes its lost link procedure. If the drone fails to execute the lost link procedure, it's a true flyaway, and reportable.

Ultimately, operators are governed by 49 CFR Part 830."

Attached is the PDF.

Attachments

• NTSB-Advisory-Drones.pdf
    297.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Torque and GFields
Thank you @Vic Moss for going the extra mile for this information. Hopefully, everyone will make note of it.

1666625162081.png

Reactions: Vic Moss
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quakzopas