DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did you report your crash to the NTSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardtom084

Reactions
Studying 107 we have this. A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB. Sure must be a lot of reporting with the people that will not use any altitude and constantly crashing into trees and then crashing into the ground.

We have the same here in Canada. Unless there is property damage or someone got hurt no one has heard back from Transport Canada other then do you want us to remove the registration for the downed craft.

Reactions: Ralph thompson
Studying 107 we have this. A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB. Sure must be a lot of reporting with the people that will not use any altitude and constantly crashing into trees and then crashing into the ground.
"This NPRM proposed the addition of a new definition of “unmanned aircraft accident” to the section of the NTSB's regulations concerning notification of aircraft accidents and incidents (49 CFR 830.2) to clarify the applicability of these regulations to unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). The proposed definition stated, “Unmanned aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of a public or civil unmanned aircraft that takes place between the time that the aircraft is activated with the purpose of flight and the time that the aircraft is deactivated at the conclusion of its mission, in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.” [MORE]

SO, if the drone is crashed into the ground, no reporting is necessary.

@BigAl07 or @Vic Moss can perhaps add to this. If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Incorrect. The current NTSB reporting requirement only applies to aircraft needing an airworthiness certificate. Previously, it applied to aircraft over 300lbs.

If you crash your Mavic and it doesn’t cause more than $500 incidental damage (or injury), you don’t have to report anything to anyone, and the FAA is very clear about this in its guidance (and on the 107 test).

Incorrect. The current NTSB reporting requirement only applies to aircraft needing an airworthiness certificate. Previously, it applied to aircraft over 300lbs.

If you crash your Mavic and it doesn’t cause more than $500 incidental damage (or injury), you don’t have to report anything to anyone, and the FAA is very clear about this in its guidance (and on the 107 test).
Also incorrect. NTSB reporting does NOT require an airworthiness cert.

If there is a command and control link failure, it has to be reported. Watch this video. Greg explains it better than the FAA or NTSB. Pay attention at 4:01.

Reactions: db4476 and bcfd29
"This NPRM proposed the addition of a new definition of “unmanned aircraft accident” to the section of the NTSB's regulations concerning notification of aircraft accidents and incidents (49 CFR 830.2) to clarify the applicability of these regulations to unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). The proposed definition stated, “Unmanned aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of a public or civil unmanned aircraft that takes place between the time that the aircraft is activated with the purpose of flight and the time that the aircraft is deactivated at the conclusion of its mission, in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.” [MORE]

SO, if the drone is crashed into the ground, no reporting is necessary.
You're forgetting the command and control failure part. That still requires an NTSB report.
@BigAl07 or @Vic Moss can perhaps add to this. If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Here is what I am looking at in my 107 study. Question.
A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report

A. is not required. (Your Answer)

B. must be made immediately to the NTSB. (Correct Answer)

C. must be made within 10 days to the FAA.

Feedback
According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB any of the following: Aircraft accident, Flight Control System malfunction or failure,
In-flight fire, Aircraft collision in flight, Damage to property, other than the aircraft, estimated to exceed $25,000 for repair (including materials and labor) or fair market value in the event of total loss, whichever is less.

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Here is what I am looking at in my 107 study. Question.
A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report

A. is not required. (Your Answer)

B. must be made immediately to the NTSB. (Correct Answer)

C. must be made within 10 days to the FAA.

Feedback
According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB any of the following: Aircraft accident, Flight Control System malfunction or failure,
In-flight fire, Aircraft collision in flight, Damage to property, other than the aircraft, estimated to exceed $25,000 for repair (including materials and labor) or fair market value in the event of total loss, whichever is less.
It would have to be determined to be a hardware or software failure based on the YT video, but as far as getting the question correct, you have your answer.

Thanks, missed that.

I've reached out for more clarification on this. I'll post back when I have get the answer. Shooting this afternoon, so it may not be until tomorrow.
As did I. I looked at the NTSB Advisory site and here is a PDF worth looking at.

Especially the following examples:

"A small multirotor UAS hits a tree due to pilot inattention on a windy day: Not an Accident (too small, even if substantial damage). However, the operator is required to notify the NTSB if other criteria of 830.5 are met. NTSB may initiate an investigation and report with a determination of probable cause."

"A small multirotor UAS has a fly-away and crashes into a tree, destroying the aircraft: Not an Accident, (though substantial damage, too small, and no injuries), but the operator is required to notify the NTSB of a flight control malfunction. NTSB may initiate an investigation and report with a determination of probable cause.."

The key wording, however, "fly-away". It would need to be determined as a software or hardware failure.

Attachments

• NTSB-Advisory-Drones.pdf
    302.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Vic Moss
As did I. I looked at the NTSB Advisory site and here is a PDF worth looking at.

Especially the following example:

"A small multirotor UAS has a fly-away and crashes into a tree, destroying the aircraft: Not an Accident, (though substantial damage, too small, and no injuries), but the operator is required to notify the NTSB of a flight control malfunction. NTSB may initiate an investigation and report with a determination of probable cause.."

The key wording, however, "fly-away". It would need to be determined as a software or hardware failure.
I guess my key takeaway would be the difference between "fly away" and "loss link". I'm guessing if you lose link and the drone RTHs, you're good. If you lose link and the drone flies away, it's an NTSB issue.

Reactions: GFields
Aircraft collision in flight...........that would include a tree or ground.

Well just for some comparisons of what we do here in Canada this is our written law,

Incidents and Accidents — Associated Measures​

901.49 (1) A pilot that operates a remotely piloted aircraft system shall immediately cease operations if any of the following incidents or accidents occurs until such time as an analysis is undertaken as to the cause of the occurrence and corrective actions have been taken to mitigate the risk of recurrence:

• (a) injuries to any person requiring medical attention;
  • (b) unintended contact between the aircraft and persons;
  • (c) unanticipated damage incurred to the airframe, control station, payload or command and control links that adversely affects the performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft;
  • (d) any time the aircraft is not kept within horizontal boundaries or altitude limits;
  • (e) any collision with or risk of collision with another aircraft;
  • (f) any time the aircraft becomes uncontrollable, experiences a fly-away or is missing; and
  • (g) any incident not referred to in paragraphs (a) to (f) for which a police report has been filed or for which a Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Report has resulted.
(2) The pilot of the remotely piloted aircraft system shall keep, and make available to the Minister on request, a record of any analyses undertaken under subsection (1) for a period of 12 months after the day on which the record is created.

Studying 107 we have this. A flight control failure causes your UAS to collide with the ground without damage to any other property. A report According to 49 CFR Part 830, the operator must report immediately to the NTSB

I'm curious where your studying this from? Nothing in the FAA 107 training materials ever mention's the NTSB and to my knowledge there is not any question in the exam that mentions the NTSB either. We've seen this 'mixing' of what the FAA and the NTSB says in regards to 'accident reporting' but in-so-far-as how it effects your study for the FAA part 107 (unless something has been added recently), does not require you to know about NTSB reporting standards.

All that you need to know to take the 107 in regards to 'accident reporting' is the following. . . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

§ 107.9 Accident reporting.

No later than 10 calendar days after an operation that meets the criteria of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section, a remote pilot in command must report to the FAA, in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, any operation of the small unmanned aircraft involving at least:

(a) Serious injury to any person or any loss of consciousness; or
(b) Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(1) The cost of repair (including materials and labor) does not exceed $500; or
(2) The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FAA (107) does not test you on whether or not you are in compliance with another federal agency. That said; it is my understanding that if you have an accident with a drone the does trigger a report to the FAA then it would be wise to also report to the NTSB.

Reactions: jeff Voigt
I'm curious where your studying this from? Nothing in the FAA 107 training materials ever mention's the NTSB and to my knowledge there is not any question in the exam that mentions the NTSB either. We've seen this 'mixing' of what the FAA and the NTSB says in regards to 'accident reporting' but in-so-far-as how it effects your study for the FAA part 107 (unless something has been added recently), does not require you to know about NTSB reporting standards.

All that you need to know to take the 107 in regards to 'accident reporting' is the following. . . . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No later than 10 calendar days after an operation that meets the criteria of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section, a remote pilot in command must report to the FAA, in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, any operation of the small unmanned aircraft involving at least:

(b) Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(2) The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FAA (107) does not test you on whether or not you are in compliance with another federal agency. That said; it is my understanding that if you have an accident with a drone the does trigger a report to the FAA then it would be wise to also report to the NTSB.
Pilot Institute....this is one of their questions at the end of the subject.

The NTSB reporting is actually an item in the Airmen Certification Standard (ACS) and it is referenced in AC 107-2A so it "could" be on the test. We have several questions in our database about it and some students have reported the topics on their exams. Beyond that, it's great knowledge to have in case you indeed get into an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan