DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Difficult final questions about: Pro Platinum or Air?

MS Eierfeile

Reactions
Hello guys,
I am Martin from Switzerland and I'm really uncertain if I want to buy the Mavic Pro Platinum or the Mavic Air.
To me the Pro Platinum feels more like a real drone like you got something on your hand. The Air - despite it's qualities - has more like a toyish feel to me. Also range, flight time and the quiet 8331 blades of the Platinum convince me pretty much. Plus I'd love to fly in fixed wing mode with the googles
On the other hand the rear sensors, the onboard memory as well as the steering with gestures and the small size of the folded Air are top notch selling points.

In the end for me it comes down to two questions no one could answer me so far:
Will the Pro Platinum get an update which allows the advanced gesture control 'Smart Capture' so that you can or start or steer the drone with gestures? (Jedi-Mode as I call it)
or
Will the Mavic Air get an update which allows it to get into fixed wing mode to get the same jet-pilot-like DJI-google-experiance as with the Pro Platinum?
or
Should I eventually wait for something upcoming? Like a Mavic Pro 2?
Those answers will decide which one I'm gonna buy and I hope I did not bore you guys. Looking up to your opinions
Martin Schicht

Reactions: Hossinn
Gesture control, a little bit of on-board memory, rear sensors . . . mostly gimmicky stuff. Unless you have a specific need for any of those things, you will probably rarely use them.

Your decision is best driven by your needs. What are you planning to use the drone for? The Pro and Air are two very different drones.

All the gestures and sensor thing a kind of useless for me. Eg it will slow down the drone if the sensor is on. I use the drone to capture beautiful scenery so picture quality, drone speed and the size are the most important consideration.
Without a height limit drone, u can easily fly a drone to the top of the mountain without climbing up there. Do u know which dji drone do i mention?

Like others said, I would wait for the Mavic Pro II to be announced. The Pro lineup is still above the Air, it's just that you're comparing a 16-month old drone to a brand new one.

The way I see it ( and my opinion probably don't matter a lot) but It is hard to determine what updates DJI will or won't come out with along the way for either drone. Myself I like to wait till a product has been out ( tried and most of the problems worked out) before I purchase. I finally purchased my Inspire 1 Pro just last year and my Mavic Pro Platinum a week ago. Both have been on the marked for a while. Just my way of feeling a little more comfortable about them all ! My 2 cents ! lol

Gesture control, a little bit of on-board memory, rear sensors . . . mostly gimmicky stuff. Unless you have a specific need for any of those things, you will probably rarely use them.

Your decision is best driven by your needs. What are you planning to use the drone for? The Pro and Air are two very different drones.

What?

Rear sensors are not gimmicky they can save you a lot of money.

I think currently Air is best buy for money if you do not own Mavic PRO already, becouse i cannot se how Plantium can justify 400€ higher peice than Air

What?

I think currently Air is best buy for money if you do not own Mavic PRO already, becouse i cannot se how Plantium can justify 400€ higher peice than Air

Put the sensor on will decrease the max speed. also, you can tell from the most crash video on youtube, they normally crash when flying left or right. It is more useful if they have side sensor instead of the back one.

Flying backwards is not something the average person does very often. Side sensors would be more useful in a wider range of situations. The sensors only work in the right conditions, so sure if you happen to by flying backwards in the right conditions towards an obstacle they are capable of detecting, they may help. OA is an "oh ****" feature, not something you want to rely on. It's cool for sure, but needs time to mature.

For you, the Air might be the best buy. Someone else may need the additional capabilities of the Platinum. There's no "right for everyone" answer to the Air vs Pro debate.

Flying backwards is not something the average person does very often. Side sensors would be more useful in a wider range of situations. The sensors only work in the right conditions, so sure if you happen to by flying backwards in the right conditions towards an obstacle they are capable of detecting, they may help. OA is an "oh ****" feature, not something you want to rely on. It's cool for sure, but needs time to mature.

For you, the Air might be the best buy. Someone else may need the additional capabilities of the Platinum. There's no "right for everyone" answer to the Air vs Pro debate.

Only ones i find are range,Flight time and noise

The main thing is to not obsess over it. Whatever you buy, something else will be coming along. I have a Platinum Pro and love it, but the Air is going to satisfy a to of people. I've never bought anything that when I saw the upgrade I didn't have a little tinge of regret, but if you worry about it you will never buy anything. If the Mavic II or whatever it's going to be called is really compelling I can always move up and sell the MPP. The market for used is pretty strong.

But I love what I have, and what other people have doesn't really change the enjoyment I get every day I take the MPP out to fly.

Think about what features are most important to you... take a deep breath and get something. Don't look back.

mel

I would go with the platinum . The air is not so great after playing with it for a while. Plus it’s very noisy. Maybe in time they will improve it but that is a big maybe .....and who knows how long that will take

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54