DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dirkclod closed a thread

Why does Paypal mean that you can't call and talk to the person? I know you are saying that a call is good and no one mentioned it but this does not make Paypal bad or a problem.
Did I say PayPal is bad or a problem? The OP gave his email and said he would gladly visit over the phone. A following post implied that the guy is a crook for not accepting PayPal. I simply say if you are interested in whatever someone is selling just pick up the phone and call, but don't label someone a crook just because he doesn't use paypal.
I could care less how anybody pays for their purchases. Paypal, CC, personal check, sea shells, etc. I usually purchase my stuff with TV stamps. I would use S&H but they are not available around here.

edit: For all I know the OP could be a crook. I doubt it, but having not talked to him I have no way to tell. Do you?

in the Classified section last evening. It had degenerated into a hostile conversation rather quickly.
The subject was about PayPal. I would like to make a comment concerning not using PayPal. I don't use it and never have simply because I don't understand it. I think there is a much better way to conduct business over the internet anyway. Just pickup the phone and call the seller and get to know him/her that way. It is what we used to do in the old days. You would be surprised how refreshing it is to talk to someone and get to know them realtime. These days with texting, faceplant, email, etc. doing business with someone has become so impersonal.
You can tell alot more about a transaction if you just learn to talk to someone in person.
I can remember when my dad bought and sold big dollar stuff with just a nod or a handshake. Never saw him get taken or the other person get burned. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Understand that there are lots of reasons why "just picking up the phone and calling the seller" is not a workable solution for some. Being female is one reason. I'm not going to call some stranger who I "met on the internet". It's potentially very unsafe. And who are you to declare that this is a "much better way to conduct business"? Maybe for you it is. That doesn't mean that it's better for others. Not speaking on the phone doesn't mean that the transaction is "impersonal". These are not "the old days". The world is a different place. AND there are lots of more efficient ways to conduct business than speaking on the phone or meeting in person. The world doesn't only exist from one person's viewpoint. Just my two cents.

Understand that there are lots of reasons why "just picking up the phone and calling the seller" is not a workable solution for some. Being female is one reason. I'm not going to call some stranger who I "met on the internet". It's potentially very unsafe. And who are you to declare that this is a "much better way to conduct business"? Maybe for you it is. That doesn't mean that it's better for others. Not speaking on the phone doesn't mean that the transaction is "impersonal". These are not "the old days". The world is a different place. AND there are lots of more efficient ways to conduct business than speaking on the phone or meeting in person. The world doesn't only exist from one person's viewpoint. Just my two cents.
I understand calling people on the phone may not be a workable situation for all, but how does a phone call make you feel unsafe as a female? I understand not wanting to meet someone in person that you meet over the internet. I'm in my early 30s, so not old fashioned or anything, but people who go way out of their way to avoid any human interaction baffle me. I have had instances where people flat out refuse to talk on the phone and only want to text or email, and let me tell you, it seems sketchy as hell to the person on the receiving end of it.

My point was that nobody in the closed thread suggested that maybe they should at least call the seller and talk to them.
Would not feel any safer since there are sweet talking liars and scammers everywhere, the biggest scam I was a victim of was actually from a guy who I met in person for one hour.
So it's completely pointless to me, why waste my time? The online payment systems offer protection you won't get through any conversation or face to face meeting.

And who are you to declare that this is a "much better way to conduct business"? Maybe for you it is. That doesn't mean that it's better for others. Not speaking on the phone doesn't mean that the transaction is "impersonal". These are not "the old days". The world is a different place. AND there are lots of more efficient ways to conduct business than speaking on the phone or meeting in person. The world doesn't only exist from one person's viewpoint. Just my two cents.

Exactly. Times have changed, people and ways of interacting too.

. I have had instances where people flat out refuse to talk on the phone and only want to text or email

I am a text person as well, always hated phone conversations with strangers since I was a kid and phone is always last resort only (apart from friends). Some of us are just like that, and we're lucky to live in times where it's an option. With some friends they will send me Whatsapp voice messages and I answer via text. They don't like typing, I don't like talking - today's communication means work for both.

Could be down to the (in)ability to focus that may be more common in these days where you're kinda made to multitask. I can handle 5 simultaneous text chats at a time with different people with no issue, but the constant attention a phone call requires is just very inconvenient/uncomfortable. But I tend to think it's always been like that and phone used to be the default means of fast communication not because it was the best or most appropriate for all, but simply because it was the only one. Mailing a letter to answer someone's message he left on your tape based answering machine would have been a tad slow.

Last edited:
Would not feel any safer since there are sweet talking liars and scammers everywhere, the biggest scam I was a victim of was actually from a guy who I met in person for one hour.
So it's completely pointless to me, why waste my time? The online payment systems offer protection you won't get through any conversation or face to face meeting.

Exactly. Times have changed, people and ways of interacting too.

I am a text person as well, always hated phone conversations with strangers since I was a kid and phone is always last resort only (apart from friends). Some of us are just like that, and we're lucky to live in times where it's an option. With some friends they will send me Whatsapp voice messages and I answer via text. They don't like typing, I don't like talking - today's communication means work for both.

Could be down to the (in)ability to focus that may be more common in these days where you're kinda made to multitask. I can handle 5 simultaneous text chats at a time with different people with no issue, but the constant attention a phone call requires is just very inconvenient/uncomfortable. But I tend to think it's always been like that and phone used to be the default means of fast communication not because it was the best or most appropriate for all, but simply because it was the only one. Mailing a letter to answer someone's message he left on your tape based answering machine would have been a tad slow.
Dont get me wrong, I text way more than I call people just because it's usually more convenient. We were talking about responding to classifieds in this conversation though. If someone refuses to have a phone conversation when doing business dealings, it's a red flag in many cases. I get that some people have psychological issues, are antisocial etc. I totally get that. Unfortunately for people with those issues, it makes people question their motives in certain instances, particularly when money is involved.

Unfortunately for people with those issues, it makes people question their motives in certain instances, particularly when money is involved.
Not unfortunate at all. That case where a potential buyer would want to call them to check on them is almost nonexistant. The buyer would be the "weird one" in the scenario, no problem, shrug it off and the next buyer will get the deal.

Not unfortunate at all. That case where a potential buyer would want to call them to check on them is almost nonexistant. The buyer would be the "weird one" in the scenario, no problem, shrug it off and the next buyer will get the deal.
And you would know it is nonexistent how? Have you done a random sample or something or are you just basing that thought off of anecdotal evidence? It's also a little odd that you call the one not afraid to use a phone the weird one, and consider the one with the mental defect the normal one. :confused:

I bought some long range antenna gear and a new modded controller for my inspire a couple of years ago. I did speak with the bloke on the phone with some issues of it not arriving (shipped from the U.S. to Australia). Multiple chats on the phone and the fella seemed like a really nice guy. At the end of the day though, I was out of pocket by over a grand and never received my package from this nice bloke.
I don’t believe he trades anymore, but from what I’ve read, he made some good $$ before ceasing to trade.

Sprocket has some good points and some bad points.

Personally I have been using Paypal since the first year it was around. Had some good experiences and a few bad experiences. Most of the time with the bad Paypal has backed me up and more importantly I have never lost one nickel of any transaction and there have been some in the thousands.

That being said, had I stayed in a cocoon and never experimented and experienced Paypal as a user and learned as I went along, I would probably be making a somewhat naive statement like Sprocket's "I don't use it because I don't understand it". I believe one has to educate themselves on using these platforms, starting out small and seeing if it is a tool to be used in your dealings with buying and selling, if that's something you do on a regular basis.

To discount it, and not understand and be aware of it and all the other options available seems to me rather limiting.

I will also agree that there have been many times when selling or buying on say, a craigslist, when I have spoken to folks about my own listings and listings I've been interested in. This are usually very productive and while judging character over the phone may for some be difficult, I think you can certainly get a good enough read to see if it's something you want to pursue.

I guess all I am saying is one can not stop the advancement of, in this case, technology by shutting oneself in. Best thing to do is try to understand it and experiment with it to the best of your abilities. If you hit a road block, well there are plenty of avenues from a wide variety of sources available to folks to educate themselves on how to better understand what ever it is your interested in.

Reactions: Kilrah
I use PayPal and have for year bought and sold big ticket item that way bought two cars with PayPal last year sold a car and had it shipped from the westcoast to the eastcoast
Yes it is not perfect but if you stay on top and manage your account with little effort it works well
the idea that you can trust somebody if you have a meaningful conversation via the phone .?
I have not had that experience
People will lie and decide you whether
Your on the phone or in person
If money is involved it becomes a cat and mouse game
Do your homework .!
and don't be a victim .!
just because you like what they are saying or the sound of there voice
Doesn't mean every thing you believe will come true..

Items sold on EBay, paid by credit card, paypal advised seller, items paid for and money could be withdrawn from paypal account, which was done. paypal then discover unauthorised use of credit card, and demand money back from SELLER, who refuses. They sent round the bailiffs, who declined to take action on arrival. Paypal insist they are right (read the small print on the back) It would appear paypal are overly biased to ebay buyers, to the cost of sellers. paypal finally agreed, reluctantly, as a one off, to walk away from their mess.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom