DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dirkclod closed a thread

Sprocket

Reactions
in the Classified section last evening. It had degenerated into a hostile conversation rather quickly.
The subject was about PayPal. I would like to make a comment concerning not using PayPal. I don't use it and never have simply because I don't understand it. I think there is a much better way to conduct business over the internet anyway. Just pickup the phone and call the seller and get to know him/her that way. It is what we used to do in the old days. You would be surprised how refreshing it is to talk to someone and get to know them realtime. These days with texting, faceplant, email, etc. doing business with someone has become so impersonal.
You can tell alot more about a transaction if you just learn to talk to someone in person.
I can remember when my dad bought and sold big dollar stuff with just a nod or a handshake. Never saw him get taken or the other person get burned. Just my 2 pennies worth.

I can remember when my dad bought and sold big dollar stuff with just a nod or a handshake. Never saw him get taken or the other person get burned. Just my 2 pennies worth.

I think your dad either was a fantastic judge of character, or he was lucky, maybe a combo of both. Not everyone is as trusting as your dad, but that doesnt make them wrong. They just not be as talented at judging people as your dad was. A long while back, I drove 90 minutes to look at a Phantom 3. Spoke to the guy for an hour before I bought it. Sounded like a good deal. When I got there it wasnt a Phantom 3 at all, it was a Phantom 2. He insisted in front of me it was a Phantom 3, so I let him enjoy his delusion while I slipped out the side door. When I asked him if it had ever been crashed, he said "not that I know of" but I saw that one strut was whiter than the other, and the body had been pried off at least one time.

Paypal is an easy way to facilitate stranger-to-stranger transactions with protection for both sides.

Last edited:
I think your dad either was a fantastic judge of character, or he was lucky, maybe a combo of both. Not everyone is as trusting as your dad, but that doesnt make them wrong. They just not be as talented at judging people as your dad was. A long while back, I drove 90 minutes to look at a Phantom 3. Spoke to the guy for an hour before I bought it. Sounded like a good deal. When I got there it wasnt a Phantom 3 at all, it was a Phantom 2. He insisted in front of me it was a Phantom 3, so I let him enjoy his delusion while I slipped out the side door. When I asked him if it had ever been crashed, he said "not that I know of" but I saw that one strut was whiter than the other, and the body had been pried off at least one time.

Paypal is an easy way to facilitate stranger-to-stranger transactions with protection for both sides.

I've read about several PayPal failures and screwed up deals. Not arguing as I've said I don't know anything about PayPal, but in reality nothing is perfect every time.

Well since you brought my name into this I will give you my 2 cents on PayPal .
I have been using them for as long as I can remember and do so almost daily .
Never had any issues as of yet and will continue to use them .
And as I said just my 2 cent's .
As far as that thread I couldn't even see when the OP had last been on so I just
closed it to stop the mess .

in the Classified section last evening. It had degenerated into a hostile conversation rather quickly.
The subject was about PayPal. I would like to make a comment concerning not using PayPal. I don't use it and never have simply because I don't understand it. I think there is a much better way to conduct business over the internet anyway. Just pickup the phone and call the seller and get to know him/her that way. It is what we used to do in the old days. You would be surprised how refreshing it is to talk to someone and get to know them realtime. These days with texting, faceplant, email, etc. doing business with someone has become so impersonal.
You can tell alot more about a transaction if you just learn to talk to someone in person.
I totally agree with you about picking up the phone and talking to someone. I just bought some Moverios from Chambleton that he had posted in the forums. I was a little iffy about paypaling hundreds of dollars at first. But after my conversation with him, my mind was totally at ease. In fact, he is a really cool guy, and it's a shame that he lives all the way on the other side of the country. I would go fly with him anytime!

Remember when you would get a package and it was COD? Do they even do that anymore? I like the concept of Paypal, and you can contest any issues, correct? I'm more of a COB fan in my transactions; Cash Only Buddy.

Reactions: Former Member
You don't have to give your credit card information to every strange, unknown company out there. They simply get paid, and have no further access to your payment info.

Great point. I think about that when I buy from some vendors Ive never done business with before. Paypal is a great screen.

Reactions: locoman
joejax we telling our age talking about COD .:)
And yes you can contest stuff on PayPal .

I sell some stuff on E-bay and
PayPal has always been the main way to pay I received a notice awhile back saying they were going another route but PayPal would still be a option .
I forget who they said it was going to be but had never heard of them .

Picking up the phone and talking to someone is great and all, but short of meeting them face-to-face with a wad of cash (which has resulted in people being robbed and/or killed) someone still needs to make payment. And when you're dealing with someone you don't know, you may be fine or you may have to deal with bounced checks, trips to a post office for a money order, or to a bank for a cashier's check or whatever.

You don't understand PayPal, but that doesn't mean it and its sister company, Venmo, aren't the best ways for people who don't know each other to securely pay each other in situations like this. Strangers you met online don't get your personal financial information, there is buyer and fraud protection, and it's secure and immediate.

Reactions: Former Member
I sell some stuff on E-bay and
PayPal has always been the main way to pay I received a notice awhile back saying they were going another route but PayPal would still be a option .
I forget who they said it was going to be but had never heard of them .

Here's an article. Paypal has gotten so much better than they used to be, and soon they will be offering better seller protection instead of "the customer is always right" that they have been using for decades.

EBay is dumping PayPal for a Dutch rival

Reactions: Kilrah and dirkclod
I would like to make a comment concerning not using PayPal. I don't use it and never have simply because I don't understand it.

I think there is a much better way to conduct business over the internet anyway.

No offense but if you know nothing about Paypal, how do you know that there is a better way?

Ever heard of someone buying a lemon (car) from the dealer or another person? It's happened for decades... all of the time.

What is it about Paypal that makes a deal go bad?

No offense but if you know nothing about Paypal, how do you know that there is a better way?

Ever heard of someone buying a lemon (car) from the dealer or another person? It's happened for decades... all of the time.

What is it about Paypal that makes a deal go bad?
I know face to face is the best way. My point was that nobody in the closed thread suggested that maybe they should at least call the seller and talk to them.
If you read the closed thread you would know that at least a couple people that responded have had trouble with PayPal.
Dirkclod did good by locking the thread. It wasn't going to get any better.

I feel more comfortable using Pay Pal than a credit card. over the phone. I have used it since it started for buying and selling. I had a guy buy an expensive piece of electronics from me on ebay, paid with paypal, I shipped via paypal and got free delivery confirmation. A week after it was delivered, he tried to reverse the sale stating I never shipped it to him. (lie) My account and his was froze for two days, and eventually PayPal made his payment good. I have had friends that had the same problem, with a credit card sale. The customer disputes the charge after they get the merch, and the seller has to jump through hoops to get paid. If ever..

I feel more comfortable using Pay Pal than a credit card. over the phone. I have used it since it started for buying and selling. I had a guy buy an expensive piece of electronics from me on ebay, paid with paypal, I shipped via paypal and got free delivery confirmation. A week after it was delivered, he tried to reverse the sale stating I never shipped it to him. (lie) My account and his was froze for two days, and eventually PayPal made his payment good. I have had friends that had the same problem, with a credit card sale. The customer disputes the charge after they get the merch, and the seller has to jump through hoops to get paid. If ever..
I'm glad you said all that because I was just about to ask a question that you almost answered for me.
What would have happened if he contested the sale and sent you back a fried electronic item just like yours?

Just my 2 cents and I feel it counts as more because I almost only buy online. eBay, Amazon etc etc. I always either use PayPal, Apple pay or just credit/debit. Never once had an issue with PayPal. Obviously that's not saying issues don't exist. But honestly I have had a conversation on the phone not long ago concerning an online purchase from a person, not business, and it was actually refreshing to speak to the person first. Actually we ended up talking for good bit of time and still hit each other up on Google Hangouts or something.

It's nice to talk with the person you're thinking of making a transaction with. But if I had to talk to everyone then I'd probably not buy from them. Once in a while, sure.

Concerning PayPal, well if it's either that or check or money order, I'll always choose PayPal. There's security and policies backing you up. Not to mention a nice digital log off what transpired.

If we refuse every system that caused an issue before then we'll be back to face to face cash which could be more dangerous

I know face to face is the best way. My point was that nobody in the closed thread suggested that maybe they should at least call the seller and talk to them.
If you read the closed thread you would know that at least a couple people that responded have had trouble with PayPal.
Dirkclod did good by locking the thread. It wasn't going to get any better.

Why does Paypal mean that you can't call and talk to the person? I know you are saying that a call is good and no one mentioned it but this does not make Paypal bad or a problem.

Reactions: MavicNoob79
I'm glad you said all that because I was just about to ask a question that you almost answered for me.
What would have happened if he contested the sale and sent you back a fried electronic item just like yours?
Make sure you sell everything as-is but working. And record serial numbers where needed.
The guy wanted my electronics and figured he would play the “I never got it” game. He was busted by the delivery confirmation. However the package could have been stolen off his porch, but that is not a seller problem so he has no right to reverse the charges. PayPal is security in addition to your credit card protection because you only give card info to PayPal. You still are entitled to all rights you have by your credit card company but PayPal mediates any issues.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78