DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable No Fly Zone Setting (DC-area resident)

Help! My brother and I both got Mavic Pros and currently are looking at $1000+ paperweights. We live in Annandale, VA and are more than 8 miles away from Reagan National airport. So far, we've only been able to turn the drone and controller on, but haven't been able to fly it.

Question 1: Anyone, especially DC-area folks figure out how to bypass the no fly zone restriction? The most we want to fly the drones is like 30 feet in our backyard.

Question 2: Any advice on downgrading the drone/controller software (or even the iOS app) so geo-fencing is not a feature so we can actually fly our drones?

Really don't feel like jail breaking my iPhone to fake my location so I'd rather just downgrade the software. Any guidance? Older software links?

Thanks!

If you live in Annadale, the closest place to fly would be Leesburg, Va. One of the local parks (IdaLee) has a field set aside for flying drones. I have a Phantom 3 Advanced that's geofenced, but 'm able to fly there. All that's required is to have registered drone and fill out a flight permit.

Reactions: braveheart
Don't listen to these fools. They talk like they know something you don't. To know something new you have to do research. They are just saying things they have learn in the pass or just making things up. All it takes is 1 solution to disprove "no."

Here is a possible solution if you have the right model. Coptersafe.com. They provide hardware solutions for bypassing NFZ restrictions. If your model is not bypassed yet and there is enough demand for it, it should be bypassed in time.

You are an educated human. You know the risk. You can use your head and work around the risk. This is me treating you as an equal, doing research, providing new (to you) information, instead of talking out of my ***.

You wouldn't want to go down that software route until the firmware from DJI is really really stable and had ironed out all the bugs as the NFZ removal mods gets removed every time you update the firmware.

Reactions: younumpty
They update it after every update. Works a charm. All it means is I CAN fly my Mavic same areas I fly my much larger hex. Doesn't mean you should break the law.

Reactions: SkyNinja
The GoPro generates so much electronic RF noise it blocks GPS receivers. This was first known about years ago. My old 350QX suffered so badly the manufacturer had to come out with a retrofit kit to fix the issue or users would retro fit the gps antenna high up on a mast above the GoPro

Reactions: gigamike
Help! My brother and I both got Mavic Pros and currently are looking at $1000+ paperweights. We live in Annandale, VA and are more than 8 miles away from Reagan National airport. So far, we've only been able to turn the drone and controller on, but haven't been able to fly it.

Question 1: Anyone, especially DC-area folks figure out how to bypass the no fly zone restriction? The most we want to fly the drones is like 30 feet in our backyard.

Question 2: Any advice on downgrading the drone/controller software (or even the iOS app) so geo-fencing is not a feature so we can actually fly our drones?

Really don't feel like jail breaking my iPhone to fake my location so I'd rather just downgrade the software. Any guidance? Older software links?

Thanks!
Google is your friend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028