DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disappointed with distance

looopson

Reactions
If there was one reason for me to sell my Mavic, it would be because of the distance factor. I had read that the Mavic has a frequency range of roughly 4.5 miles. I've only been able to fly the Mavic out about 2700-2800ft (half mile) before the video reception starts to cut out. I have tried this in various parts of the country and many areas where there are no obstacles aside from short trees and houses (Phoenix).

Has anyone been able to get their Mavic Pro out very far? I saw a YouTube video where a guy actually gauges the distance and got it out to about 4 miles at which point he turned it around. He didn't seem to have much video loss at all in his situation. Is there a way that I can extend the range such as something that can be purchased for the Mavic Pro or even my phone?

300-400ft when it's out at about 2500 ft. Is there an optimal height when you have it at when it's out more than half a mile?

Reactions: Edward P
The higher the better, keep your antennas in vertical position, toward your flying drone, ensure bluetooth/wifi disabled on your mobile (interference?), and no metallic object (your car!) between you and the MP ? There are some devices that can be added to the RC to "focus" the transmission in a particular direction, but you loose some coverage on left and right ...

Reactions: cgcope1
I have only every seen people have this kind of issue when controlling the Mavic from inside and not standing out side and pointing the controller in the direction of the Mavic.

As for the question of rang 16800ft is my max flight range and I had no loss of image at all.

Reactions: Jase1125
Have you made sure the antennas are pointed properly?

I have the antennas pointed out, flat. See below. This is how I usually fly it.

Do you recommend I turn them a different way ? Pointed straight up?

I have never flown it indoors before. Aside from the antenna issue, maybe I need a new craft? I have the DJI Refresh if I wanted a refurbished one, I suppose...

Attachments

• 20171126_101005.jpg
    20171126_101005.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 369
My record distance would be 14,842 ft or 4,524 m, results may vary with interference factors but always very satisfying for me...

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 18.20.33.png

I have never flown it indoors before. Aside from the antenna issue, maybe I need a new craft? I have the DJI Refresh if I wanted a refurbished one, I suppose...
I'd crash it and refresh it... though do they take the RC back and replace that too? The issue could be in the drone OR the RC.

When the drone if far way in the horizon, and my RC is horizontal between my hands, I put the antennas in vertical position and orient the RC until I get best RC and video signal. vertical position is the optimal way if your RC is kept in a horizontal position.

This is how I have mine ..

35773c55331630e327c47e6319391c93.jpg

So the Flat surface is facing towards the Mavic when it is in the air.

Reactions: jkirk and looopson
I think you can "tune" the position of your antennas by looking, on your display, at the signal strength of the video AND the RC.

Personally, I put the antennas really in a vertical position once it's in the air (90 degrees between flat surface and the antennas, on your picture, they are actually at something like 50 degrees).

Reactions: WAXMAN
What a terrible idea. I'd warranty exchange it.
Depends how long he's had it, and where he bought it. DJI may take it in for service and have it for a long time... and still may fix nothing, as has been the case with others here. I doubt they take distance test drones that are in for repairs.

First of all, you have your antennae pointed incorrectly. Your distance is reasonable for a congested area like a city or suburbs with moderate obstructions. Not too different from what I get most places around where I live in the Houston northern suburbs.

However, when I get a true unobstructed flight path I can easily get 10,000 feet. In fact, last weekend I was on a small hill in the middle of nowhere and executed an 11,000' distant sortie with three bars remaining on both the remote and video. Always well below 400'. I've done 12,000 and 13,000 distance several times.

I suspect there is noting wrong with your Mavic. Correct your antenna orientation and get away from obstructions and wifi pollution and you'll see a big improvement.

Sounds like your issue may be having the antennas wrong then...

Thank you all for your responses.

I will try to fly out 0.5 mile with the antenna sticks pointed UP instead of OUT and see if it starts to lose video signal. I've always had the antennas out and flat down when the drone is out far and pointed up only when it is above me... which I believe is the opposite of what I should be doing.

I certainly hope it's not issue with the RC or drone because I don't know whether DJI would take it back as a warranty exchange. My DJI Refresh expires in April so it's possible? I don't think they would exchange the RC though?

First of all, you have your antennae pointed incorrectly. Your distance is reasonable for a congested area like a city or suburbs with moderate obstructions. Not too different from what I get most places around where I live in the Houston northern suburbs.

However, when I get a true unobstructed flight path I can easily get 10,000 feet. In fact, last weekend I was on a small hill in the middle of nowhere and executed an 11,000' distant sortie with three bars remaining on both the remote and video. Always well below 400'. I've done 12,000 and 13,000 distance several times.

I suspect there is noting wrong with your Mavic. Correct your antenna orientation and get away from obstructions and wifi pollution and you'll see a big improvement.

Yes, so I've always flown in the city and NEVER tested in an open space like the desert to see if it still loses signal after 0.5 miles... maybe I will try driving out to the plains and test it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom