DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discharge Controller for storage?

I know it's important to discharge the batteries, But is it also important to discharge of the controllerr when storing?
just treat it like the other batteries store it at 50 to 65% if not being used for a long time, and check it monthly when you do the other batteries and don't let it get too low for a long period of time

Reactions: raulmavic
just treat it like the other batteries store it at 50 to 65% if not being used for a long time, and check it monthly when you do the other batteries and don't let it get too low for a long period of time
One thing I've never quite understood about the "store it at 50 to 65%" advice is that if you store it at 100%, it will eventually drop to 50 to 65%, so why is that a different 50 to 65%? I assume that the problem is that the drop from 100% to 50% causes some sort of damage but I've never heard it explained.

One thing I've never quite understood about the "store it at 50 to 65%" advice is that if you store it at 100%, it will eventually drop to 50 to 65%, so why is that a different 50 to 65%? I assume that the problem is that the drop from 100% to 50% causes some sort of damage but I've never heard it explained.
if a lipo is left at 100% for a long time it will lose some of its ability to take on a full charge, and that is why intelligent batteries self discharge to prevent this happening ,but even so it is not a good idea to have them fully charged for too long
if you know that you are not going to fly for a considerable time then it is better to store them at the recommended 50 to 65% so you know that they are in the safe range for cell voltage to prolong their life
it is just as important not to let them get really low for long periods, as this can then damage the cells so they are unable to take on a charge
they will over say a year of none use become unable to hold a charge so this is why you should check them and recharge them at least once every two months ,these things help to keep the chemical processes in the cells from breaking down

+1
Totally agree. I take care of all my batteries ;)

After each flight I recharge controller only up to 50% before storing.
I realized a single flight discharges my controller from 50% to 25%. As I only have one mavic mini battery I will never charge controller up to 100% (until I get more batteries).

For not to exceed 50% boundary during recharging I use an stopwatch. For me, one minute of fast charging raises controller battery level about 1%, that way my controller recharging time is about 25 minutes.

Test leds helps a lot, I built this tables using data from manual, tables works the same for controller or mavic mini main batteries

LEDS STATUS DURING CHARGING
0%-25%blink, off, off, off
25%-50%blink, blink, off, off
50%-75%blink, blink, blink, off
75%-100%blink, blink, blink, blink
100%off, off, off, off

LED STATUS AFTER CHARGING (BY PRESSING TEST BUTTON)
0%-13%blink, off, off, off
13%-25%on, off, off, off
25%-38%on, blink, off, off
38%- 50%on, on, off, off
50%-63%on, on, blink, off
63%-75%on, on on, off
75%-88%on, on, on, blink
88%-100%on, on, on, on

All the best

R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bi88les
+1
Totally agree. I take care of all my batteries ;)

After each flight I recharge controller only up to 50% before storing.
I realized a single flight discharges my controller from 50% to 25%. As I only have one mavic mini battery I will never charge controller up to 100% (until I get more batteries).

For not to exceed 50% boundary during recharging I use an stopwatch. For me, one minute of fast charging raises controller battery level about 1%, that way my controller recharging time is about 25 minutes.

Test leds helps a lot, I built this tables using data from manual, tables works the same for controller or mavic mini main batteries

LEDS STATUS DURING CHARGING
0%-25%blink, off, off, off
25%-50%blink, blink, off, off
50%-75%blink, blink, blink, off
75%-100%blink, blink, blink, blink
100%off, off, off, off

LED STATUS AFTER CHARGING (BY PRESSING TEST BUTTON)
0%-13%blink, off, off, off
13%-25%on, off, off, off
25%-38%on, blink, off, off
38%- 50%on, on, off, off
50%-63%on, on, blink, off
63%-75%on, on on, off
75%-88%on, on, on, blink
88%-100%on, on, on, on

All the best

R.
Are the batterys in the controller LI-PO and also in the MAVIC MINI.

This is what I use for storage mode of the remote control battery. Good luck. Phantom sorry. Use on mini too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodders
It takes a micro USB to micro USB cable to do the type of discharge I showed above with the mini. I have mine jury rigged for the moment as I have a cable coming tomorrow from Amazon. The cable specs even say that it’s for DJI micro USB remotes.

Only one way charging so you just switch the cable to change the direction of the charge. Or discharge

One thing I've never quite understood about the "store it at 50 to 65%" advice is that if you store it at 100%, it will eventually drop to 50 to 65%, so why is that a different 50 to 65%?
But if you store it at 20% it won't charge itself back to 65%. Statement is just generic, how it's done doesn't matter.

It's best to store the controller there as well, but much less critical since the controller's battery is not subjected to anywhere near the strain a flight battery is.

Reactions: old man mavic
It takes a micro USB to micro USB cable to do the type of discharge I showed above with the mini. I have mine jury rigged for the moment as I have a cable coming tomorrow from Amazon. The cable specs even say that it’s for DJI micro USB remotes.

Only one way charging so you just switch the cable to change the direction of the charge. Or discharge
Well, we Android users don't have to be very inventive to discharge the controller battery -- just leave the phone plugged in when you turn the controller off. :p

Yup, just got used to using the battery pack with the phantoms so it was easy start using it with the mini. Makes charging and discharging so easy. But then again you can always charge and discharge the remote with your phone. ? And I have never had a call on my battery pack yet! LOL Have fun y’all ? almost Spring

Post from iPad

Reactions: old man mavic
For iPad/iPhone MM users:
Charge /discharge for Mini remote and batteries.
Battery pack (solar not needed)). 15,000mAh 2A minimum
Micro usb to micro usb. 1 way cord. Switch to change direction of power. Standard USB to micro USB can also be used to charge/discharge the MM batteries.
41224A03-7926-4747-9E47-A360D6774320.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard