DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnected during flight...

laxcob

Reactions
Not sure if this has happened to anyone although I am sure it has. I was flying this evening and during the flight the app became disconnected. I didn't get to worried as I hit the return to the home button on the app (As I write this I am thinking I could have hit the return to the home button on the controller, hindsight...) and the Mavic pro did not return. Luckily it wasn't too dark and I was able to manually return the drone.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am using an IPhone 6, with the latest IOS 11.01 software and my DJI app is current.

Not sure if this has happened to anyone although I am sure it has. I was flying this evening and during the flight the app became disconnected. I didn't get to worried as I hit the return to the home button on the app (As I write this I am thinking I could have hit the return to the home button on the controller, hindsight...) and the Mavic pro did not return. Luckily it wasn't too dark and I was able to manually return the drone.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am using an IPhone 6, with the latest IOS 11.01 software and my DJI app is current.

iOs version is pretty stable (this behavior however is typical with the Android version). It can happen though, for various other reasons. You might want to try the following just to be sure:
1) Uninstall and reinstall the app (never hurts)
2) Fly in airplane mode (you can lose connection if you get a call or some other process interrupts the app)
3) Close other apps and processes that may be running in the background and potentially interfering with your DJI Go app.
4) Ensure that your RTH height is set correctly (and enabled) before flying again. As you noted, you can always press the RTH button on the RC if required. Even if your RC disconnects, as long as you have your RTH set properly (for signal loss), it should come back.
5) Check your USB cable connection from your device to your RC. If it becomes dislodged, moved, or improperly seated during flight, you'll lose the connection. It could just be simply that you have a faulty cable or you jostled it a bit accidentally. Are you flying with the original DJI cable that came with the Mavic? If so, replace it with a better USB cable and connect your device to the USB port near the bottom of the RC.

Reactions: dewster
I was going to try IOS 11.2,but I'm a little nervis about that until I hear more reports

Exactly what I was commenting about,I'm also commenting in that thread

I have the same problem on my android, I replaced the usb cable from ang**, it never disconnected anymore

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I did fly again without any problems and then go figure another Apple IOS update. Ill try again to see how that plays out. I do think that the issue I had was I received an email from the yahoo app right before the DJI4 Go app disconnected. During the next flight Ill disable that application and see if I have any other issues.

Again, thank you all for the assistance.

I have the same problem on my android, I replaced the usb cable from ang**, it never disconnected anymore
I am having the same problem, regularly at the moment, (only my first week of flying). Does it give better reliability to use the USB port than using the one on the side with the Lightning cable?. And are you saying that it is better to buy a better quality USB to device cable? I too am Android.
When it disconnects it is a bit unnerving, as for a while i have no control at all. It just hovers.

I have had this issue twice in the last month. Once i restarted the app and it worked again and once it did not. Both times thr controller worked fine and the drone was nearby so no issue.
I have an andriod phone with the latest firmware on devices

I have had this issue twice in the last month. Once i restarted the app and it worked again and once it did not. Both times thr controller worked fine and the drone was nearby so no issue.
I have an andriod phone with the latest firmware on devices
Do you mean that you logged out of the app and back in again whilst in flight? !!!!
Is that safe?

Do you mean that you logged out of the app and back in again whilst in flight? !!!!
Is that safe?
You do not need the app to fly...
The AC is flown by the RC, not the app...
If you are within VLOS then flying the AC back is straight forward. (or what ever direction....:rolleyes:)

Is that safe?
Yes. Closed app and restarted it. As controller still connected no worries.

I believe if everything disconnects, i.e. you drop the controller and it smashes, then the drone will auto RTH when the battery is low.

Side point: same thing happened yesterday to me (phone disconnects, ×3 in 4 weeks of regular flying). The drone was a long way off and over the ocean so I pressed RTH. After a few minutes it reconnected and i took control again.

I have been flying with my phone on flight mode as i thought the phone telco signal maybe a cause of the problem but i guess not.

Yes. Closed app and restarted it. As controller still connected no worries.

I believe if everything disconnects, i.e. you drop the controller and it smashes, then the drone will auto RTH when the battery is low.

Side point: same thing happened yesterday to me (phone disconnects, ×3 in 4 weeks of regular flying). The drone was a long way off and over the ocean so I pressed RTH. After a few minutes it reconnected and i took control again.

I have been flying with my phone on flight mode as i thought the phone telco signal maybe a cause of the problem but i guess not.
I've read others say this is because of the cheap quality of the cable that comes with the controller. Are you using the side one or a different one?

I learned to turn off ALL Automatic updates on anything I use for the drones. It’s like dominoes... APP gets updated, you might have to update the Bird, each battery, RC, etc.
take control and update when YOU are ready, comfortable at home, in front of your computer, not outside trying to fly!

How often were you getting disconnected and how many uninterrupted flights have you had now with the replacement cable?

Was it the app crashing?

I ask as I am having similar issues with my android.

Just got my Mavic today, 3 times I got the "Disconnected" message on my screen, but still had control of it. The first time it happened I was up about 300'.. Thank god I had VLOS and was able to bring it home. The other few times I was testing it staying low to see what was causing it.. It happened randomly.. So, I grabbed a new iphone cable and plugged it in the bottom and left it connected for about 10 minutes and it did not disco at all..

iOs version is pretty stable (this behavior however is typical with the Android version). It can happen though, for various other reasons. You might want to try the following just to be sure:
1) Uninstall and reinstall the app (never hurts)
2) Fly in airplane mode (you can lose connection if you get a call or some other process interrupts the app)
3) Close other apps and processes that may be running in the background and potentially interfering with your DJI Go app.
4) Ensure that your RTH height is set correctly (and enabled) before flying again. As you noted, you can always press the RTH button on the RC if required. Even if your RC disconnects, as long as you have your RTH set properly (for signal loss), it should come back.
5) Check your USB cable connection from your device to your RC. If it becomes dislodged, moved, or improperly seated during flight, you'll lose the connection. It could just be simply that you have a faulty cable or you jostled it a bit accidentally. Are you flying with the original DJI cable that came with the Mavic? If so, replace it with a better USB cable and connect your device to the USB port near the bottom of the RC.
Thanks, that's great advice. Marc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy