DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance

Distance is very dependent on your:

Terrain
Overall height of drone over terrain
Orientation of antennas

best test for distance would be a large open field with no trees.

Also what were your actual signal strength bars when you received the message?

Paul C

2600ft is really bad, you’re definitely flying in a super congested area (your neighborhood) you’d either have to fly a bit higher or try messing around with the channels if you absolutely must. If the MA2 doesn’t get good reception where you are then nothing will.

I fly in a fairly congested area and went out 11k feet today (first time ever) just to try it out and push it to the limits. Check out the guy from Philadelphia’s videos on YouTube, always forget his name, he has multiple videos of the MA2 flying it 10k ft and he’s in the middle of Philly!!

• Wow
Reactions: MaxE1955!
I’m in Australia (using CE mode), getting a max range of 500 metres flying a new MA2.

I flew today in both in crowded suburbs and semi-rural areas, but was is little difference. At around 500 metres (1600 feet) I lost signal. So frustrating.

I am trying to troubleshoot the issue. It can’t be the antennas, as the new MA2 controller has no external antennas. It can’t be my iPhone, as I switch it to Aircraft Mode while flying. I don’t have any other wifi/GPS devices on me.

Is anyone else having this limited range issue in CE mode?

Regards,
Terry

After looking at most of the MA2 videos it seems like there is a distance problem with this new model. Looking forward to everyone recieving their MA2 preorders to see if this is a common issue of 2miles or if 10 km is even possible. Probably an issue with the new controller and antennae arrangement. Hope DJI can fix this problem and see the MA2 reach 30000 ft as it should in ideal conditions.

I got 12,000ft in a WiFi quiet area. CE, pleased with it’s performance.

Just curious, those of you not getting good distance..... Are you pointing the top of the antenna towards the AC? As per the manual, you need to point the flat area at the top of the antenna towards the AC.

First flights yesterday (UK CE) & went out to 830m without any signal disruption.

My distance in a dense tree environment with WiFi saturation is over 3 miles. Has been consistent with all my other OCcusync drones.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
My distance in a dense tree environment with WiFi saturation is over 3 miles. Has been consistent with all my other OCcusync drones.
This is what I like to see. Living in flat-a** Florida, there's plenty of space near me that's great flying, but loaded with trees.

I did over 19,000 feet yesterday and still had acceptable signal. Line of sight, a rural area, and pointing your antenna/controller properly helps a lot.

I’m in Australia (using CE mode), getting a max range of 500 metres flying a new MA2.

I flew today in both in crowded suburbs and semi-rural areas, but was is little difference. At around 500 metres (1600 feet) I lost signal. So frustrating.

I am trying to troubleshoot the issue. It can’t be the antennas, as the new MA2 controller has no external antennas. It can’t be my iPhone, as I switch it to Aircraft Mode while flying. I don’t have any other wifi/GPS devices on me.

Is anyone else having this limited range issue in CE mode?

Regards,
Terry
I too am disappointed in the range. I get about 800 meters and thats it. I expected much more. DJI really exaggerates the range capabilities. I get bad range in both rural and urban. About 1100 meters best I ever got

I too am disappointed in the range. I get about 800 meters and thats it. I expected much more. DJI really exaggerates the range capabilities. I get bad range in both rural and urban. About 1100 meters best I ever got
Your experience is an outlier. I'd troubleshoot and if that doesn't solve it contact DJI.

All of the range tests I've seen indicate it can even best the MP2.

I had my air 2 out today for a short range test. Mine started losing signal strength fast. I live out in the country very little interference. At around 1200ft I started dropping RC signal. Around 2500ft I lost all signal and video cut out. I'm lost as to why. My mavic pro never did this. Any ideas?

Reactions: brdsng
I had my air 2 out today for a short range test. Mine started losing signal strength fast. I live out in the country very little interference. At around 1200ft I started dropping RC signal. Around 2500ft I lost all signal and video cut out. I'm lost as to why. My mavic pro never did this. Any ideas?
Assuming there are no hardware issues, take a look at the log files.

I'm getting just about the same as my mavic pro, possibly slightly less distance. Bummer

update: definitely less and disconnects in areas where I've never disconnected from the mavic pro.

Last edited:
I started another thread on this. But I'm wondering if my iPhone 6s plus has something to do with it. The whole phone is metal and it's sitting on top of the RC antennas

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_