DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Distance

Cheers for that.
I'm new to this hobby with only 3 flights to date
I panic if i can't see my £950 flying in front of me so doubt I'll be sending it into the wild blue yonder
Just doing as much research as possible.

Cheers Mel
Mel,
I’d recommend finding a good open space and trying out all the various ways the MA2 reacts in emergencies and what happens when you choose RTH.... when actually needed it is not the time to learn.

One of the things you could try (its a bit scary the first time) is disconnecting your phone. The drone will initiate whatever setting you have set e.g. RTH, hover, descend

This will help build your confidence (I still fly with a degree of trepidation, but the adrenaline is good for you!).

safe & happy flying

Reactions: Mel 08
Mel,
I’d recommend finding a good open space and trying out all the various ways the MA2 reacts in emergencies and what happens when you choose RTH.... when actually needed it is not the time to learn.

One of the things you could try (its a bit scary the first time) is disconnecting your phone. The drone will initiate whatever setting you have set e.g. RTH, hover, descend

This will help build your confidence (I still fly with a degree of trepidation, but the adrenaline is good for you!).

safe & happy flying
Am trying different things every outing
Doubt I'll ever send it as far away as possible.
2 reasons
1 it illegal
2 not what I bought it for

Cheers Mel

Reactions: InvisibleName
Ive been having the same exact issue on range...flying in congested area...and get repeatable differences with the mini (range at 3,500ft) before signal breakup most times 3,700ft for RTH....New Air 2 = 2,200 ft before complete signal loss and RTH......something is up for sure....firmware is up to date....both in Auto transmition mode and flight path is the same. Pretty disappointed that its worse than the mini.

Side note, ive read that folks in Europe only got like 700 meters out of theirs...which is close to mine and others in this thread that have had issues. The ADS writing is a sticker that looks to be slapped on wonky on the prop arm. Im wondering if they were in a rush and just put a sticker on international versions and gave folks the non ADS models due to time/limited production. A stretch but id figure the lettering on the prop arm for "MAVIC Air 2" (which looks to be painted on) and "ADS" would be matching. Also had a $0.42 cent credit on my acct when purchasing refresh care (not sure where that came from....was it an ADS sticker discount?) :) just kidding

Another thought is that the ads was not enabled in the app by default and I wonder if it limits the range automatically if its not enabled (for 1st flight etc)....The signal drops off almost instantly at 2,200 ft +/- which totally does not do that on the mini (it looses signal gets pix-elated more and goes a few more hundred ft). I may try to reinstall app enable ADS before flight and see if that helps. Next would be a call to DJI.

Any thoughts on solution would be helpful. The mini outdoing the air 2 so badly on range just hurts
I’ve encountered sudden drops in signal. Like, boom black screen, no warning, no degradation or pixelation. For me, the antenna on my controller had a wire that sheared from normal wear and tear - the act of opening and closing the antenna.

I’m not saying that’s what is causing your range issues. What I am saying is if it drops suddenly it may be hardware related in the drone or antenna. Not something interfering with the signal.

Posting an update. Got the distance out of the air2. Things I did.....put phone plug on left end of controller...turn on and off air sense.....then back on....also keep alt at 300...went 8k ft no problem

I too am generally only able to get out to about 2000ft before losing signal. I will try higher and better aiming tomorrow. Is opening up the remote to check the antennae connections easy or is that a bad idea?

I can't wait to get out in the middle of nowhere and test it out. I know a lot of factors can play into the signal but I found it odd that in Downtown Atlanta I could get about 4000ft before totally losing signal and in the suburbs roughly the same. I would have thought the burbs would have gotten me more, but I know that wifi signals and other factors can play into it.

I’m also getting very poor range with the Mavic Air 2. It has about the same range as my Mini. Very disappointing. Could it really be the area I’m in or is there a hardware issue? I don’t live in a congested area. Farm land and trees around my house Is about it.

See my post here:

I’m also getting very poor range with the Mavic Air 2. It has about the same range as my Mini. Very disappointing. Could it really be the area I’m in or is there a hardware issue? I don’t live in a congested area. Farm land and trees around my house Is about it.

Only way to find out is to find an open area to fly. From my backyard if I fly north I’ve gotten 2.5km without signal loss. However if I fly west I get signal loss at 800ft

So today, using the tips here (namely go higher and properly aim the antenna), I was able to go 6000 ft away no problem with room to go further. Very happy about that as the main reason I bought this drone was the range.

I have a new Mavic Air 2, and previously had a mavic pro. The mavic air 2 is cutting out at 300m in the city and 1000m in rural. my mavic pro would go 4km with no issues and this is meant to be a stronger signal. DJI will not provide any assistance and i am relucant to send back my brand new drone. any suggestions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kento1328