DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Diving into the FAA certification process

fivesense

Reactions
I do a lot of drone work for my own company but may branch out to doing other commercial work. As such, I'm considering getting my FAA certification. I've got my FTN and have begun the process of studying with the Part 107 Small UAS Initial (ALC-451) online training course. What suggestions for books, self and guided study do you recommend?

This has likely been discussed quite a bit but I couldn't find the link. I'd be grateful for any guidance and recommendations.

I would start with the section about minimum requirements to do drone work for a company.

Reactions: Torque
I do a lot of drone work for my own company but may branch out to doing other commercial work. As such, I'm considering getting my FAA certification. I've got my FTN and have begun the process of studying with the Part 107 Small UAS Initial (ALC-451) online training course. What suggestions for books, self and guided study do you recommend?

This has likely been discussed quite a bit but I couldn't find the link. I'd be grateful for any guidance and recommendations.
I would start with YOUTUBE there a several free classes that will walk you through everything on the test. You can’t just read a book you will need someone to explain things to you unless you have an aviation back ground . Good luck.

These are long, but go over all the concepts and explain WHY the answers are correct. I'd start with this:

Followed by this:

Then this for more info on airspaces:

After watching the first two, I took a practice test and got 93% - I may or may not get my 107 - I don't need it, but I'm considering getting it anyway - either way, I wanted to be more informed about flying my drone - plus I've been fascinated with aviation almost my whole life.

These are long, but go over all the concepts and explain WHY the answers are correct. I'd start with this:

Followed by this:

After watching the first two, I took a practice test and got 93% - I may or may not get my 107 - I don't need it, but I'm considering getting it anyway - either way, I wanted to be more informed about flying my drone - plus I've been fascinated with aviation almost my whole life.
Thank you for this information, rwilliam99. I share your sentiment about getting the certification. I don't need it but like the idea of having it just in case, and I also have a lifelong fascination with aviation.

I tend to be a more visual learner. When I studied for my amateur radio licenses, I used an online program with great success. For the drone certification, I'm looking at this book. I don't have an aviation background so, to Anthony's point above, I wonder how valuable the book will be to me. I suppose it varies with each individual's learning styles.

Has anyone used Drone Pilot Ground School or Drone Launch Academy? Pilot Institute is also highly rated.

Last edited:
One word of caution re uTube videos, not all of them are current and may not have the updated test materials. Having said that, I got the basics from the Tony video (noted above) and decided to do a more in depth study through Pilot Institute, which cost $149. I was more than ready for the test. At your posted age, you’ll need all the help you can get lol.

Last edited:

Followed by this:

Is the info in both of these videos current with the existing FAA test? I don't know how much the test varies from year to year, but I've read it can change occasionally.

Is the info in both of these videos current with the existing FAA test? I don't know how much the test varies from year to year, but I've read it can change occasionally.
There is one book you MUST buy. It will be used during the test and all online training. I recommend the printed COLOR copy.

If the text is too small bring a magnifying glass to the test it is allowed.

Again good luck😊

Reactions: fivesense and Dbez1
I do a lot of drone work for my own company ...
I share your sentiment about getting the certification. I don't need it but like the idea of having it just in case...

49 USC 44809: Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft:
(a)(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

You need your 107. You're exceeding the exemption for recreational pilots.

One word of caution re uTube videos, not all of them are current and may not have the updated test materials. Having said that, I got the basics from the Tony video (noted above) and decided to do a more in depth study through Pilot Institute, which cost $149. I was more than ready for the test. At your posted age, you’ll need all the help you can get lol.
🤣🤣🤣

I'm just getting started on my second 100 years! Not quite sure how that happened.

I've been looking at Pilot Institute today. It looks like one of the better options for an online package. How long did it take you to study once you signed up? On average, how much time per day did you study?

This should help a little. It's an FAA site. I have a private pilot's license, instrument rating and the Part 107 for other than recreational drone flying. I did all of them without paying for a ground school for the knowledge tests. Many will try to guide you and lure you into paying for some kind of schooling. I wouldn't do it but I don't tell others what to do. Everything you need to take the test (which will cost money) is available for free and all you have to invest is your time. Start here and follow your nose.

Thank you for this information, rwilliam99. I share your sentiment about getting the certification. I don't need it but like the idea of having it just in case, and I also have a lifelong fascination with aviation.
Actually, if you're doing work for hire already with your company, as you implied, you've been required all along to have a 107 cert and have been flying illegally – one of the types of rules violations that the FAA takes very seriously and is very unforgiving with enforcement.

You would be wise to terminate all further operations for your company until you have your 107.

🤣🤣🤣

I'm just getting started on my second 100 years! Not quite sure how that happened.

I've been looking at Pilot Institute today. It looks like one of the better options for an online package. How long did it take you to study once you signed up? On average, how much time per day did you study?
You may be over 100, but I am a dinosaur because I am one of those early 107s who had zero aviation background and self studied from all of the FAA material and passed quite easily. Some of the training schools did not exist then and I wanted to learn it on my own at my own pace. It's all on FAA's site for free.

Also when you say you 'do a lot of drone work for your company' keep in mind the FAA says you can't 'recreate' for someone else, hence you've been required to have your 107 all along. Might want to hold off on that till you get your rating. ;)

Walleye Hunter is correct and did what worked for him. Everyone is different. I hadn’t taken a test for over 50 years and felt I needed something more structured. Being retired, I had the time and took several winter months to prepare. It was worth the $149.00 to me as I went in feeling pretty confident and did extremely well. Incidentally, I feel that I’m a safer flyer having studied for the certification.

I'm confused. Is this the correct Part 107 I need? It says it's for Part 61 pilots.

That is indeed for Pt. 61 pilots. They get the short online version because they’ve already taken ground school and passed an exam.

If you don’t have that certification you’ll need to sit for the expensive in-person exam like most of us! No online option… See step #2 on this page:

Yeah, it’s out of date and obsolete in a few areas, outside of the April 2021 regulations update it’s a great study guide. Sadly its replacement has been repeatedly delayed.

In 2021 regulations changed - these are the topics you need to be sure to get current info. These are also what’s not been updated in many youtube videos, etc.
Operations Over People
Operations Over Moving Vehicles
Operations At Night
Remote ID aka RID

Reactions: fivesense
That is indeed for Pt. 61 pilots. They get the short online version because they’ve already taken ground school and passed an exam.

If you don’t have that certification you’ll need to sit for the expensive in-person exam like most of us! No online option… See step #2 on this page:

Yeah, it’s out of date and obsolete in a few areas, outside of the April 2021 regulations update it’s a great study guide. Sadly its replacement has been repeatedly delayed.

In 2021 regulations changed - these are the topics you need to be sure to get current info. These are also what’s not been updated in many youtube videos, etc.
Operations Over People
Operations Over Moving Vehicles
Operations At Night
Remote ID aka RID
Thank you, Seth.

I guess it's too much to expect that the FAA would have all updated materials on their site. Is there some other link I'm missing?

I scoured the links you posted beforehand, and it still takes me to the same place. I'm likely to enroll in the Pilot Institute, but I want to exhaust the free to low cost options first.

Thank you, Seth.

I guess it's too much to expect that the FAA would have all updated materials on their site. Is there some other link I'm missing?

I scoured the links you posted beforehand, and it still takes me to the same place. I'm likely to enroll in the Pilot Institute, but I want to exhaust the free to low cost options first.
Give this a try, I think it has everything you need.

https://www.faa.gov/faq/where-can-i-find-study-materials-part-107-aeronautical-knowledge-test

Reactions: fivesense
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne