DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Polarizing Filters

ccpyle

Reactions
A while back I found a web site called 3DLens.com (I am not associated) which sells polarizing film out of Taiwan. There are a few different sizes and types which are dirt cheap, so I figured I would give it a shot. The site has a minimum order of $10, so I ordered an assortment of films to try. You can see in the picture Left hand polarized, Right hand polarized, Circular polarized, and Circular polarized with UV cut.

These are 50mm x 50mm sheets which I estimate I can get 4 lenses out of given the Mavic camera size. The gimbal diameter on the Mavic is 20mm, so I drew out a pattern of 20mm diameter and four tabs each of about 5 mm. The tabs bend back at 90 degrees and are fastened against the camera using a very high tech pony tail holder from my wife. I'm sure a rubber band would work, too.

I took the Mavic up today and grabbed a few shots to see if they are worth the effort, and I must say the results so far are quite nice. The Left Hand polarized film hardly yielded any results so I did not upload those pics, but the circular UV cut polarizing film made a dramatic difference. Photos are attached.

Maybe this is something someone else would like to try. I'm not bashing any other filter manufacturers, but I am not going to use these professionally or that often, so I went the less expensive route. Maybe someone else can find value from this as well or even think of a better idea of how to fasten them to the gimbal.

Films.jpg Gimbal.jpg

No Filter
None-Harbor.JPG None-Ocean.JPG

Circular with UV cut
CPUV-Harbor.JPG CPUV-Ocean.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting... How thick are the films?

Here are the specs:
Size: 50mm x 50mm
Type: high contrast circular polarizer
Transmittance: single(42%) ; parallel(35%) ; crossed(0.5%)
Color: neutral gray circular polarizer
Polarizing efficiency: 99.98%
Retardation film: 125nm
UV-Cut: Yes
Thickness: 0.28mm
Durability: 60°C / 90%RH / 500Hours circular polarizer test passed
Adhesive glue: No
Protective film: both sides (please remove the protective films before using circular polarizer)
Application: Circular 3D glasses, 3D projector, circular camera filter, photography, reflective and transflective LCD, OELD, Touch panel and more...

Now you should experiment with camera color styles(such as ART, D-Log, D-Cinelike, None, ect).

A while back I found a web site called 3DLens.com (I am not associated) which sells polarizing film out of Taiwan. There are a few different sizes and types which are dirt cheap, so I figured I would give it a shot. The site has a minimum order of $10, so I ordered an assortment of films to try. You can see in the picture Left hand polarized, Right hand polarized, Circular polarized, and Circular polarized with UV cut.

These are 50mm x 50mm sheets which I estimate I can get 4 lenses out of given the Mavic camera size. The gimbal diameter on the Mavic is 20mm, so I drew out a pattern of 20mm diameter and four tabs each of about 5 mm. The tabs bend back at 90 degrees and are fastened against the camera using a very high tech pony tail holder from my wife. I'm sure a rubber band would work, too.

I took the Mavic up today and grabbed a few shots to see if they are worth the effort, and I must say the results so far are quite nice. The Left Hand polarized film hardly yielded any results so I did not upload those pics, but the circular UV cut polarizing film made a dramatic difference. Photos are attached.

Maybe this is something someone else would like to try. I'm not bashing any other filter manufacturers, but I am not going to use these professionally or that often, so I went the less expensive route. Maybe someone else can find value from this as well or even think of a better idea of how to fasten them to the gimbal.

View attachment 6026 View attachment 6027

No Filter
View attachment 6022 View attachment 6023

Circular with UV cut
View attachment 6024 View attachment 6025
Nice work! I've got the PolarPro filters with polarization. Hoping those are awesome. Testing in a week or so.

I took the Mavic up today and grabbed a few shots to see if they are worth the effort, and I must say the results so far are quite nice. The Left Hand polarized film hardly yielded any results so I did not upload those pics, but the circular UV cut polarizing film made a dramatic difference.]

This is a great tip! Thanks for sharing, as I only have the Taco's ND i will try to do a circular pol filter as you did for my next fly fishing trip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS