DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY Sun hood for lens on Mavic

Followed Peter's advice and made a lens "sun hood" myself using a Dremel tool. Expanded the cut out a bit without any issues. Happy with the results of my 30 min worth of work. Certainly helps with photo quality in sunny conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    659.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 134
Great idea. Sounds like there is a vendor opportunity to manufacture and sell a Mavic sun hood. I could even see a small cap extension to improve sun light blocking further.

I bought one. Looks like a 3D print to me too, so the price is kind of crazy, but what the heck. Someone has try...

Can you please post some pictures and comments once yours arrives?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger as well, but the price plus shipping is pretty steep for what it is and I am in no hurry at the moment.

For $20 a pop it seems like a viable solution considering a gimbal cover with shipping costs around $15. That being said I would opt for the DIY scenario, it just seems like the most fool proof if my opinion. It literally is not no where near as hard as you may think. It's just cutting and shaving plastic then painting.

What I like about this is that also protects against impacts, very nice.

Here is the problem modifying the stock cover or likely injection mold, the cover as it is is weak and there are numerous reports of them cracking (without modification) mine included, The Injection mod will be a Acrylic version most likely and will be brittle and prone to cracks. The 3D printed ones use a Plastic/Nylon composite that is very strong (it has to be for the printers not to crack them). So buy the 3D versions. Considering the cost when the acrylic one will crack the higher cost of the 3d printed ones is a bargain.

Those that are worried about opening size the Nylon plastic that is used for the 3d printed ones is easily modifiable to expand the opening

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13