DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI’s Trade-up is a joke

I was simply curious what DJI was giving (in credit) for a brand new Mavic 2 Pro still new in the box (purchased a month ago). It really surprised me how little they value their own products, which really speaks for itself.

View attachment 86174

Next I decided to check how much a damaged one might be worth.

View attachment 86175

Now let’s see how much they sell your worthless Mavic 2 Pro for after they refurbish it.

View attachment 86176

Highway robbery...
I had the same issue. My mavic air was in great shape. $250 value I could deal with. All I got was an email that said your stuff doesn't match our analysis. $55 offer

I declined and thus loss money on the initial shipping.

Seems like a total scam to me.

Worse than a crooked used car salesman

While I understand declining an offer of $55, what I don't understand is why you would have accepted a $250 value in the first place and sent it to DJI.

I would assume if you were looking to trade up or sell your Mavic Air that you would have at least done some research into its value, where on the 1st page of the classifieds here you'd have found 2 x Mavic Air listed for $500. I'd bet if you had listed yours there, assuming it is in good working order, you could have sold it in 10 minutes for every bit of $250 (likely closer to $400+) and someone would have felt like they got an excellent deal and you would have not felt like someone was trying to scam you.

Trade in values are pretty funny, I was looking a couple days ago at a new Go Pro, since I know there are trade up options available I figured it would be interesting to see what the value of my Go Pro Hero 4 would be on a trade in. Now, I was fully aware it is not worth much, they go for around $50-$75 on eBay as an example. But, it was still funny to see a value of $5 come back as the trade in value.

Reactions: Aether
Trade in program is just like any other trade in program, not always the best economically. You pay (or lose $$) for the convenience.
Just like trading in a car at the dealer. The dealer's trade-in value will be much less than a private party sale.

I was simply curious what DJI was giving (in credit) for a brand new Mavic 2 Pro still new in the box (purchased a month ago). It really surprised me how little they value their own products, which really speaks for itself.

View attachment 86174

Next I decided to check how much a damaged one might be worth.

View attachment 86175

Now let’s see how much they sell your worthless Mavic 2 Pro for after they refurbish it.

View attachment 86176

Highway robbery...

Even the diehard fan boys will have a hard time defending DJI on this one.

Reactions: Aether
there nothing to defend really,why should we expect that DJI will buy back our drones at any price ,they are in the business of making and selling drones ,not buying them ,its the same with any electrical consumer tech

Reactions: Tetrad
there nothing to defend really,why should we expect that DJI will buy back our drones at any price ,they are in the business of making and selling drones ,not buying them ,its the same with any electrical consumer tech

I understand what you’re saying.But it’s all over the mighty DJI website. About the TRADE UP promotion and to me all it is. Is a slap in the face.

Trade up programs for any electronics is a joke, except maybe if it's a very recent model.

I checked it out for a couple cell phones when upgrading. I gave them to my dad instead.

The general rule of thumb in manufacturing is that in order to be profitable you need to be able to manufacture your product for about 1/3 the retail value. So, on average, a product that retails for $2,000 should cost around $670 to manufacture. So considering handling and testing costs, it is somewhat unrealistic to expect any manufacture to buy back a product for about what they can manufacture it for.

I never knew that was the standard markup for manufactured items. One would think that if they can ream us that bad the item purchased would come with a great warranty or outstanding customer service. Sadly, most of these companies care very little about the end consumers satisfaction anymore. They essentially sell us the latest and greatest disposable tech which rarely holds any value after the next new thing flies onto the shelves.

I reminisce for the days when high quality products were made to last and not some plastic junk you simply throw away when it breaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: naiku
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima