DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI 4 Geofencing vs. Airmap

Shon

Reactions
DJI 4 says I live in an area that is okay to fly...no restrictions. Airmap says There is first responder activity TFR, and that I am also in Class D and Class E2 airspace.

Can I trust the DJI Go App to be accurate?

DJI 4 says I live in an area that is okay to fly...no restrictions. Airmap says There is first responder activity TFR, and that I am also in Class D and Class E2 airspace.

Can I trust the DJI Go App to be accurate?

You have misunderstood the DJI geofencing system. It's not a comprehensive or necessarily up-to-date description of where it is and is not legal to fly. And authorization in the geo system doesn't constitute authorization to fly from a legal point of view - you are simply unlocking your aircraft. The only reliable source of up-to-date TFRs is found by calling the local Flight Services Station (1-800-WX-BRIEF) or checking a source that is kept current, such as ForeFlight.

Reactions: Thomas B and Shon
I didn't want to make a new thread since this was on the same topic regarding accuracy of DJI geofencing (precisionhawk) vs airmap.
Anybody have any insight on this?

Sometimes there are NFZs (state parks for one) that DJI/precisionhawk does not show, but that airmap does advise on. I double check this on dji's geo-zone map website as well as airmap's website.

Let's say you wanted to fly 300ft above the playboy mansion - airmap will let you know you're going to need FAA authorization and you can only fly up to 200ft. However, DJI doesn't even show this as an authorization zone!
Santa Monica's Class D airport is heavily used as far as municipal airports go and this seems like a big oversight. You don't want to be the guy piloting the drone that Harrison Ford crashes crashes into (that guy probably shouldn't be allowed to fly regardless).

I'm thinking I'm going to rely on airmap, but airmap doesn't always show the giant bowtie auth zones that DJI shows. On a few occasions, DJI indicates an authorization zone where airmap doesn't. Is the DJI bowtie zone that they get from precisionhawk more or less compliant that airmap?

You have misunderstood the DJI geofencing system. It's not a comprehensive or necessarily up-to-date description of where it is and is not legal to fly. And authorization in the geo system doesn't constitute authorization to fly from a legal point of view - you are simply unlocking your aircraft. The only reliable source of up-to-date TFRs is found by calling the local Flight Services Station (1-800-WX-BRIEF) or checking a source that is kept current, such as ForeFlight.
Old post I know - but since ForeFlight is not compatible with Android which app would you suggest - Kittyhawk - Airmap or is there one better ?

Each has their benefits and shortcomings.
They're both authorized LAANC apps so they do have a standard they need to adhere to in order to help you pre-qualify yourself before submitting a request.

I haven't tried Kittyhawk, but I've found that Airmap intermittently doesn't show the grid. I also don't see a way to deselect a layer to unclutter the map.

Old post I know - but since ForeFlight is not compatible with Android which app would you suggest - Kittyhawk - Airmap or is there one better ?

I don't know if either of those stays fully up to date on TFRs, and since I use ForeFlight I'm probably not the best source of information about other apps.

Thanks

I've been using the B4UFLY app since its endorsed by the FAA. If that app doesnt say anything restrictive then I fly because only the FAA can be blamed otherwise. [emoji846]

B4UFly is probably the worst flight planning app. FAA contracted Kittyhawk to fix/update it, but Kittyhawk left lots out compared to their free app. Might as well just use Kittyhawk.

And no, you can't blame FAA for errors or omissions, because FAA has had disclaimers that it is a guide and not the authoritive source. They will tell you latest sectional maps and latest Notam notices are what to go by.

And no, you can't blame FAA for errors or omissions, because FAA has had disclaimers that it is a guide and not the authoritive source. They will tell you latest sectional maps and latest Notam notices are what to go by.
If you want to fly in airspace, this is correct

B4UFly is probably the worst flight planning app. FAA contracted Kittyhawk to fix/update it, but Kittyhawk left lots out compared to their free app. Might as well just use Kittyhawk.

I totally agree with you however and use more than one source.. however... when you're on the FAA web site and you're looking for information and they referr you to their app you tend to go follow what they say. At least if you're new at it. Once you hit forums like this and find out more information then obviously one should realize there's more out there. The way I look at it is if the FAA wants to be that strict on the rules then they need to make sure their app is as close to perfect as possible... Oh and Kittyhawk SUCKS!! It's more for fleet management then someone with a single drone and it's so full of bugs.. no thanks.. .Government agencies and tax dollars at work for sure.

Kittyhawk is a private entity. They were only contracted by FAA to revamp B4UFly.

Airmap seems to also have shortcomings.
No legend of different circles/colors, or means to mask them off if you need clarity for other areas. Grid often doesn't appear on app launch.

You would think a reference FAA points to, particularly an app would be more reliable, but they do spell out that B4UFly is not to be completely relied on.

I wish the facilities map worked better on mobile browsers. It hangs when I use it on Chrome on my HTC 10.

Ok.... So.... what would be the best way....? Realistically. I have a SC running android. But I also use an iOS device. Yes it’s nice to have apps work on both, but for the most reliable what one or two?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147