DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI: ADS-B on all over 250g...then what’s with a MA2 without it???

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like it would be impossible for the US government to ground all existing drones without both ADS-B receivers and remote identification. That would be like requiring all 1960's US muscle cars to adhere to the updated mileage standards of today.

I "assume" that our current drones will be grandfathered in, but yes, I also know what "assume" means when broken apart...

Unfortunately, that is the FAA plan.... and yes, if required as the proposed rule states now... yes all our r/c aircraft (not just drones) will be technically illegal to fly in most places without a transponder. This is my main gripe - in 4-5 years (when this is all supposed to be in effect) everything we currently own will be obsolete :-(

Unfortunately, that is the FAA plan.... and yes, if required as the proposed rule states now... yes all our r/c aircraft (not just drones) will be technically illegal to fly in most places without a transponder. This is my main gripe - in 4-5 years (when this is all supposed to be in effect) everything we currently own will be obsolete :-(

So might as well buy the ADS-B version of MA2?

ADS-B broadcasts location data to aircraft and local ATC, it does not however intervene in piloting, it's not a dodge system.The B part stands for Broadcast.

The hardware that DJI is adding is just a ADS-B receiver for awareness of nearby aircraft. It doesn't transmit ADS-B packets. (in fact, the FAA has said that they don't want drones transmitting ADS-B because they are concerned that would overwhelm their system, the FAA remote-ID proposal uses a different system altogether for transmitting drone locations)

In Australia, only IFR aircraft are mandated to fit ADSB. The majority of the VFR aircraft in our local flying school, aeroclub and on the field do not have ADSB. If the drone only has ADSB "in" the drone operator may see a few aircraft when operating near a major airport but at country airstrips, you will see very little. It would make more sense to have ADSB out on the drone so that those flying IFR aircraft can see the naughty drones flying above the clouds and in the fog where they shouldn't. ADSB will be a great aid to aviation safety when all aircraft and drones have ADSB "in and out".

Same in the states; your comment is on point. In it's current state, ADSB is an almost worthless tool for a UAS operator. It gives you a false sense of security since most low flying AC do not have this system equipped (VFR) and the system does not work when you don't have an internet connection.

As UAS operators we're better off not having it and relying on common sense and our senses in avoiding aircraft, not some half baked system that's not fully implemented in the aviation world.

Reactions: Blakey01
and the system does not work when you don't have an internet connection.
ADS-B transmits either at 1090 MHz in mode-S or at 978 MHz. No Internet is used or required.

ADS-B transmits either at 1090 MHz in mode-S or at 978 MHz. No Internet is used or required.

I was under the impression it worked differently, thanks for the info. Still worthless if a majority of low flyinig aircraft out there don't have it.

ADS-B is only for US and Canada, the rest of the world will get the version without at the same price. I would prefer to have it or at least have the option!

If you read the test documents from the FCC, there are at least 2 different models, MA2UE3W with extra ADS-B RF circuit and antenna and MA2UE1N with "no this circuit", that's at least how I read it, could also be a typo from translation. So by my guess, 2 models, one with an advanced ADS-B, one with a basic ADS-B?

Top of page 4
You can replace the GPS board without the ADS-B circuit with one that has it for £25 if you like, but in US price of drone with it is less than UK but then you get ripped off by customs if you import it yourself. So just replace the board simples if you want it but really it is a toy drone and your not going to fly it that high anycase the app does not tell you altitude of approaching aircraft so bit naff for now, maybe they will update. But generally DJI should give us schematics and source code for the units but they won't co-operate not very friendly of them eh!. And most small flying things that your most likely to crash into don't have ADS-B such as other drones, models etc. So heads on a swivel watch your space, beware of hun in the sun etc.

DJI drones are sold all around the globe and different countries have different rules ,so all DJI is doing is giving the consumer choice,when it comes to having an ADS-B receiver or not
Well whatever they decide on there are small transponders that you can add/attach to your models if required same as you do with your sticky label with your ID now. It would be stupid to have buy a new model just because transponder requirements change, unless manufactures bribe the regulators of course than that's standard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying