DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Aeroscope Scanner

I don’t agree, because there is implied consent when you register your drone with the FAA and that information becomes publicly viewable.

For example, anyone viewing N-Numbers, aircraft flight specs and looking up the N-number registration provided by transponder output, even online, isn’t violating that law as well.

Would you be okay with a device that allows anyone on the ground to ID the pilot of any aircraft within 10-25 miles including pilot email address etc.?

Would you be okay with a device that allows anyone on the ground to ID the pilot of any aircraft within 10-25 miles including pilot email address etc.?

That’s already being done and includes the owner’s name and address. And it is totally legal- plug in any N-Number of a plane you find a photo of on Google, hear announcing itself on LiveATC.net, or take a photo of with a telephoto lens, and plug it in here:

FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry

HAM radio operators also are easy to look up this way too through the FCC website and others by their announced radio callsigns.

Reactions: dannybgoode
That’s already being done and includes the owner’s name and address. And it is totally legal- plug in any N-Number of a plane you find a photo of on Google, hear announcing itself on LiveATC.net, or take a photo of with a telephoto lens, and plug it in here:

FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry.

This summer I was relaxing on a beach in Puget Sound when I noticed small private plane flying very erratically at less than 500 feet. I paid close attention because plane was very close to me and I was certain the guy was going to crash. The plane had registration numbers but no way I could read them with sun in the sky and with plane's erratic movements. Maybe if I had a telephoto lens all lined up and focused before I first saw the plane and when it passed over my head? Anyhow, the plane careened around the island and headed north right into Seattle air traffic. As soon as I got home I checked the news and sure enough that plane had flown north a ways before crashing into the ocean.

Why cant I have a device that shows me the email address of every pilot and flight path of every aircraft flying from a distance of 10 to 25 miles away? Or, why not just put registration numbers on outside of drone? Just like you say, if someone needs to see the number that bad they can use a telephoto and then check in with the FAA.

This summer I was relaxing on a beach in Puget Sound when I noticed small private plane flying very erratically at less than 500 feet. I paid close attention because plane was very close to me and I was certain the guy was going to crash. The plane had registration numbers but no way I could read them with sun in the sky and with plane's erratic movements. Maybe if I had a telephoto lens all lined up and focused before I first saw the plane and when it passed over my head? Anyhow, the plane careened around the island and headed north right into Seattle air traffic. As soon as I got home I checked the news and sure enough that plane had flown north a ways before crashing into the ocean.

Why cant I have a device that shows me the email address of every pilot and flight path of every aircraft flying from a distance of 10 to 25 miles away? Or, why not just put registration numbers on outside of drone? Just like you say, if someone needs to see the number that bad they can use a telephoto and then check in with the FAA.

You CAN have a device like that, and you may already own it. there might be an app for that. I remember a while back my nephew was watching commercial flights flying over us (at altitude, just saw vapor trails) He was able to identify every aircraft and where it came from, where it was going, its flight number and a host of other details. That was 6 years or more ago.
I have also seen flight information on a thread here about a drone owner with the N12345 number. You could get everything you want to know about where he had been, and who he was.

Your cell phone is easier to track that your drone.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Your cell phone is easier to track that your drone.

That is why I take shall we say, precautions... I have back up Mavic and cell phone stashed in woods 8 miles away which everyone tracks leaving me to fly 2nd mavic under the radar...
1539401067128.png

aeroscope would still be fun to have. Wouldnt it be cool to have an "attack" drone you could launch and take out everything that shows up on aeroscope, then fly it back home? People would be left posting "bird strike?" threads on forums trying to figure out what happened. :D

Reactions: Lapeer20m
You CAN have a device like that, and you may already own it. there might be an app for that. I remember a while back my nephew was watching commercial flights flying over us (at altitude, just saw vapor trails) He was able to identify every aircraft and where it came from, where it was going, its flight number and a host of other details. That was 6 years or more ago...

That is good point to know. But, I am trying to compare apples to apples; is there an app that shows you the email address of the pilot of all private planes flying in the sky from 25 miles away? Actually, given relative flight speed, the app would have to give us the email address of every pilot and flight route of every aircraft in the sky within 200 miles.

That is good point to know. But, I am trying to compare apples to apples; is there an app that shows you the email address of the pilot of all private planes flying in the sky from 25 miles away? Actually, given relative flight speed, the app would have to give us the email address of every pilot and flight route of every aircraft in the sky within 200 miles.
There very well may be. There is even a better chance if flight plans are filed.
BUT that would be an information overload. Who would spend all their time tracking and recording that data for personal use? What might that use be? Only an issue if one is set on hiding illegal activities.
It would be much more fruitful to copy a phone book if you want to create a list of random people and how to contact them or drive to their homes.
People that think they need all this privacy and protection are just crazies. What makes these crazies think they are so special, that anyone would want or need all of their personal information and single them out of an entire population of people? Not many are that special, especially us nerdy RC toy lunatics. :D

... Who would spend all their time tracking and recording that data for personal use? What might that use be?...

All I can tell you is that the commercial drone industry vigorously argues that all kinds of information about commercial flights must be kept highly confidential and secret. Out of the other side of its mouth the commercial lobby demands total transparency for every Joe (or Jane) Blow flying a 2lb mavic at the park.

All I can tell you is that the commercial drone industry vigorously argues that all kinds of information about commercial flights must be kept highly confidential and secret. Out of the other side of its mouth the commercial lobby demands total transparency for every Joe (or Jane) Blow flying a 2lb mavic at the park.
Because its some of the loonies flying the 2lb projectiles that are the greatest risk.
Less training, and no caution when they fly. When you are INSIDE the aircraft flying it, it kind of demands caution. When all there is to lose is a toy anything goes for some people. I have no problem being on one more of probably hundreds of lists that I am sure I am already on. One day you will realize that is how it is, and be less afraid of the couple you are aware of.

DJI is trying to make money by selling Aeroscope to authorities, or everyone who will sell authorities protection.

I think that this system is useful only for everyone who wants to make some easy money from fines and fees (I have many doubts about this though).

Speaking of real dangers for the communities, it is useless.

DJI is trying to make money by selling Aeroscope to authorities, or everyone who will sell authorities protection.

I think that this system is useful only for everyone who wants to make some easy money from fines and fees (I have many doubts about this though).

Speaking of real dangers for the communities, it is useless.
Doubtful. it’s a big cost for a limited market. What is more likely is that DJI is offering aeroscope to authorities in an effort to ensure their product might continue to be able to be sold in the jurisdiction. Working closely in regulation development and providing tools to assist in compliance.

I wonder when a hack will come out that spoofs all those things the Aeroscope looks for? But then how could you thwart their attempts at taking control? Hmmm

Another video of Aeroscope in action from DroneU.

Do you agree that use of an Aeroscope by anyone other than a "law enforcement officer" in CA would violate CA Penal Code Sec. 637.7?
You are not looking at the bigger picture here. As I have said many times before, unless you are under .55 lbs, your UAS is an AIRCRAFT flying in the NAS and as such is subject and should expect, just like any other aircraft in the NAS, to tracking and you shouldn't expect any privacy at all. This isn't a law enforcement issue, it is an FAA issue. Aeroscope isn't being used to track people, it is being used to track a drone and it's operator, just like radar and transponders are being used to track manned aircraft. Just because you are not in the cockpit of that drone doesn't detach you completely from that drone. It is still an aircraft and when you are flying it you are the Pilot in Command and you give up any expectation of privacy as to where you are located.

This is an easy fix here, just FOLLOW THE RULES and don't fly somewhere you should not be flying or doing something that you know is wrong. If you do that then even if you are being tracked it won't make any difference because they won't be knocking on your door.

Reactions: 韦马可 and Simmo
You are not looking at the bigger picture here. As I have said many times before, unless you are under .55 lbs, your UAS is an AIRCRAFT flying in the NAS and as such is subject and should expect, just like any other aircraft in the NAS, to tracking and you shouldn't expect any privacy at all. This isn't a law enforcement issue, it is an FAA issue. Aeroscope isn't being used to track people, it is being used to track a drone and it's operator, just like radar and transponders are being used to track manned aircraft. Just because you are not in the cockpit of that drone doesn't detach you completely from that drone. It is still an aircraft and when you are flying it you are the Pilot in Command and you give up any expectation of privacy as to where you are located.

This is an easy fix here, just FOLLOW THE RULES and don't fly somewhere you should not be flying or doing something that you know is wrong. If you do that then even if you are being tracked it won't make any difference because they won't be knocking on your door.
People can probably forget grizzling about aeroscope before long, drones will come with them as part of the hardware. Size isn’t an issue.

F9EDCCAB-33AF-45FC-9C91-8922D855E630.png
Very low power- I think about 100mw only but would allow an approaching AC to see you from a mile away. Plenty of time to take evasive action in most cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580