DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 2S or Mini 3?

So I'm seriously debating if I want to return my Air 2S (last day to return is today) to get a Mini 3 Pro. What's everyone's thoughts on the matter. I need to make this decision today as its the last day to return my Air 2S. After doing the pro/cons list below I still feel that that the Air 2S is the better overall drone unless you really need that portability, gimble, flight time etc.

Mini 3 Pro benefits over the Air 2S:
+ Lighter & smaller which means less issues bringing to other countries during travel.​
+ More compact charging battery station​
+ Longer flight time (47 min vs. 34 min)​
+ RC Smart Controller (less setup time means easy to randomly take out to fly, and I can still use my phone)​
+ Higher res pictures (48mp quad bayer actual is 12 mp)​
+ Better new generation gimbal range compared to Air 2S
+ Newer​

I would consider the Mini 3 Pro + RC Controller ($909) + The Fly More Plus Combo ($249) so net price is $1158 before tax compared to $1039 for the Air 2S.
Air 2S benefits over the Mini 3 Pro:
Image Quality:
+ Better sensor 1" vs 0.769" for low light​
+ Better Video (5.4k 30fps) and better actual MP (20 MP real)​
+ Includes ND Filter​
Flight:
+ Faster 19m/s vs 16 m/s speed, and 6 m/s vs 3 m/s in N mode​
+ More Maneuverable (250 deg/s vs 130 on Mini 3 Pro, but can be adjusted to 250 deg via app)​
+ Better obstacle avoidance quad vs. tri direction obstacle avoidance.​
+ Downward Auxiliary Light​
+ 5000 m vs 4000m ceiling height​
+ ADS-B Transmitter which is useful when Remote ID is required next year.​
Usability:
+ Existing tablet controller is bigger/brighter than smart controller. (I have a Z Fold 3 with a 7.6" 1200 nit AMOLED display)​
+ 2T4R vs. 1T2R antenna on Mini 3
+ 8 GB built in​
Pricing
+ Cheaper $1105 Air 2S vs. $1248 Mini 3 Pro

View attachment 148071
I am struggling with which one to buy as well now... so listening to replies.

So I'm seriously debating if I want to return my Air 2S (last day to return is today) to get a Mini 3 Pro. What's everyone's thoughts on the matter. I need to make this decision today as its the last day to return my Air 2S. After doing the pro/cons list below I still feel that that the Air 2S is the better overall drone unless you really need that portability, gimble, flight time etc.
<SNIP>

Too early to really tell, but from early reviews think you'll find the Air 2S is a better flier (better in winds, faster, etc) but the Mini 3 Pro might have better image quality in at least certain situations (low light) particularly if you are looking at out of the box video without grading and such, plus the Mini 3 Pro's size advantage. Probably close enough all around that you'll be happy with either one, just depends upon what is important to you.

Think we'll get some good comparison reviews in the next couple of days, so may be worth waiting, but keep in mind, the ones that get the review units usually rave about everything new with DJI, so they'll probably slant Mini 3 Pro, but you should be able to see video/picture quality yourself.

One correction on your list is the Air 2s (and no drones) have ADS-B transmitters. They are receivers only, and ADS-B is NOT allowed for remote ID and is not to be used on drones.

when you return it online you have 2 weeks to send it in. I’d really wait for low light and image quality comparisons. So you see with your own eyes. So start the procedure and you can always cancel should air2s have anything other than max speed over mini 3 pro

Reactions: jedi2155

Mini 3 Pro benefits over the Air 2S:
+ Lighter & smaller which means less issues bringing to other countries during travel.
+ More compact charging battery station​
+ Longer flight time (47 min vs. 34 min)
+ RC Smart Controller (less setup time means easy to randomly take out to fly, and I can still use my phone)​
+ Higher res pictures (48mp quad bayer actual is 12 mp)​
+ Better new generation gimbal range compared to Air 2S
+ Newer​

I would consider the Mini 3 Pro + RC Controller ($909) + The Fly More Plus Combo ($249) so net price is $1158 before tax compared to $1039 for the Air 2S.
Air 2S benefits over the Mini 3 Pro:
Image Quality:
+ Better sensor 1" vs 0.769" for low light​
+ Better Video (5.4k 30fps) and better actual MP (20 MP real)​
+ Includes ND Filter
Flight:
+ Faster 19m/s vs 16 m/s speed, and 6 m/s vs 3 m/s in N mode​
+ More Maneuverable (250 deg/s vs 130 on Mini 3 Pro, but can be adjusted to 250 deg via app)​
+ Better obstacle avoidance quad vs. tri direction obstacle avoidance.
+ Downward Auxiliary Light
+ 5000 m vs 4000m ceiling height​
+ NOT CORRECT - ADS-B Transmitter which is useful when Remote ID is required next year.​
Usability:
+ Existing tablet controller is bigger/brighter than smart controller. (I have a Z Fold 3 with a 7.6" 1200 nit AMOLED display)​
+ 2T4R vs. 1T2R antenna on Mini 3
+ 8 GB built in​
Pricing
+ Cheaper $1105 Air 2S vs. $1248 Mini 3 Pro

View attachment 148071
I'll toss out a few quick comments.
  • I'd suggest that many of the items you've listed aren't really important. The higher yaw rate, for example and the difference in service ceiling (unless you routinely fly on high altitude terrain.) 8G onbard storage, too. The price difference is only about 13%. I bolded the items that seem important to me in the copy of your text above.
  • There is no ADS-B transmitter in the Air 2S.
  • Low light capability may actually be better in the Mini 3 because of the greater f1.7 aperture.
  • If you already have a good tablet, you should consider getting the Mini 3 with the simpler controller. (If you can tolerate the later delivery date.) That would substantially reduce the cost of the Mini 3 option.
  • If you'll have a single drone, I think the Air 2S would give you more flexibility. The exception would be if the Mini 3's smaller size and the gimbal design are compelling. Otherwise, it offers no substantial benefits in aircraft performance, photo/video capabilities, or features compared to the Air 2S.

Reactions: jedi2155
Thank you all for the feedback. While incredibly tempting to go with a newer Mini 3 Pro, and this being my first and only drone, I'll keep the Air 2S for now so I don't really need the portability of the 3 Pro.

If was buying a brand new drone vs. the hassle of returning the Air 2s, I'd probably get the Mini 3 Pro.

Thank you all for the feedback. While incredibly tempting to go with a newer Mini 3 Pro, and this being my first and only drone, I'll keep the Air 2S for now so I don't really need the portability of the 3 Pro.

If was buying a brand new drone vs. the hassle of returning the Air 2s, I'd probably get the Mini 3 Pro.
Looks like you chose wrong;

070384EE-CE3E-4BB3-859F-A050F10A075D.png

just ordered mini 3 pro: upgrading from air 1 where imu died on me and cannot find replacement anywhere.
air 2s seems to be slightly worse, see here too for static comparison:

had some doubts whether not to get nano+ due to its outstanding nightime quality. but i used drone for night shooting literally twice. hope there won't be some problems which were missed in reviews (overheating?)

Reactions: test2000Anafi
just ordered mini 3 pro: upgrading from air 1 where imu died on me and cannot find replacement anywhere.
air 2s seems to be slightly worse, see here too for static comparison:

had some doubts whether not to get nano+ due to its outstanding nightime quality. but i used drone for night shooting literally twice. hope there won't be some problems which were missed in reviews (overheating?)
Nobody believed me when I explained the 1 inch in air2s doesn’t mean anything LOL. It’s just a meaningless paper spec. The sensor could be 20 inch and it would still be less advanced 2019 era sensor tech

Did you buy the air2s on amazon? If so start the return procedure and just save it for a bit as you read more reviews you can pm me on how I sent back my Mavic 3 if you want.

I bought it at Best Buy, with today being the last day to return.
Well that stinks, you can always return it and be drone less a little longer and pick what you want up in a few weeks when we really get the better reviews. I had a lot of heart burn over sending back my mavic 3 after 4 months but i dont regret it now with the gps issues still out there (granted I do have an air 2 to get me by).

Well that stinks, you can always return it and be drone less a little longer and pick what you want up in a few weeks when we really get the better reviews. I had a lot of heart burn over sending back my mavic 3 after 4 months but i dont regret it now with the gps issues still out there (granted I do have an air 2 to get me by).
I don't fly very much and mainly purchased it to inspect my roof before I installed some solar, and now that's done I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my drone. I do have a Part 107 license for work reasons but I don't see myself actually doing commercial work anytime soon.

My Air 2S was my very first drone so it's been fun for sure.

Trying to understand what you're showing me here because this looks like its showcasing the resolution difference between 20 MP and 48 MP which doesn't indicate HDR, or noise resistance.
The pic on the left is Air 2S and the one on the right is Mini 3 Pro, which is much sharper and better

Reactions: test2000Anafi
It is not only sharper, it is better at every single image characteristic and ISO, same goes for video:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada