DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 2S swirling crash itself while Quickshot (asteroid)

I had a weird thing happen recently to my Air 2S and blamed newbie skills. My video recording stopped and then restarted a new file in the middle of a flight. After another couple of minutes it just dropped to the ground - almost into a creek (yikes!) but I flew up and it returned OK.
I noticed after a few more flights that one of my batteries wasn't holding a charge. It would self discharge by 30% over a couple of days.
After reading about your experience here, I'm pretty certain my issues were caused by a malfunctioning battery. I returned it to DJI, they tested the battery and told me it was defective and sent out a new one.
Lately I listen too many problems about Air 2S. And if you think that Air 2S is maybe the best selling drone of DJI then user will be disappointed about this company.

Your problem really looked like to be the battery.

But in my problem, the battery was 2 month old new with only eight full charge times and I was looking for past data of the battery and all were good.

Even if it was created problem at the battery while flying, it's Dji's fault because the pre flight inspection didn't show any problem.

I'm lucky at least that the drone had fallen 20 meters away from me and not at 200 away at the wood that it was 2minutes before the flight. Always look of the lucky things hehe.

Just curious, do you know how many cycles were on the battery?
I have made from the first time I bought the drone, a mini note paper where I have the charging cycles and I have put it back on every battery where the battery's information is and when I charge them, I don't forget to simply check the number of the charging counting. So I know on which cycle it was. Also you can check it within the Dji Fly app while you are flying .

I have made from the first time I bought the drone, a mini note paper where I have the charging cycles and I have put it back on every battery where the battery's information is and when I charge them, I don't forget to simply check the number of the charging counting. So I know on which cycle it was. Also you can check it within the Dji Fly app while you are flying .
Sorry, guess I worded my question poorly, I was wondering how many cycles were on it per reported number in app, or your personal check is cool. I have read max should be like 200 cycles, but sure not every battery is the same.

Reactions: p.solomos
Sorry, guess I worded my question poorly, I was wondering how many cycles were on it per reported number in app, or your personal check is cool. I have read max should be like 200 cycles, but sure not every battery is the same.
Oh sorry. If you ask if the reported number of charging cycles in the app and on my notes were the same so yes I think they were. As for 200 cycles is the guarantee limit for each battery.

Oh sorry. If you ask if the reported number of charging cycles in the app and on my notes were the same so yes I think they were. As for 200 cycles is the guarantee limit for each battery.
Sorry again, not asking if they were the same, just how many cycles you had on the battery.

I had a weird thing happen recently to my Air 2S and blamed newbie skills. My video recording stopped and then restarted a new file in the middle of a flight. After another couple of minutes it just dropped to the ground - almost into a creek (yikes!) but I flew up and it returned OK.
I noticed after a few more flights that one of my batteries wasn't holding a charge. It would self discharge by 30% over a couple of days.
After reading about your experience here, I'm pretty certain my issues were caused by a malfunctioning battery. I returned it to DJI, they tested the battery and told me it was defective and sent out a new one.

It's normal for video recordings to be saved in more than one file. It's not a symptom of a problem.

When the maximum file size is reached, the drone closes that file and begins recording in a new file. Nothing is lost; you can combine the files in any video editing software.

My video recording stopped and then restarted a new file in the middle of a flight.
That's completely normal.
There is a file size limit of approx 3.7 GB and if you record long continuous videos they will be broken into 3.7 GB segments.
After another couple of minutes it just dropped to the ground - almost into a creek (yikes!)
That doesn't sound normal, but the cause would most likely be found in the recorded flights data.
After reading about your experience here, I'm pretty certain my issues were caused by a malfunctioning battery.
Your battery had nothing to do with the issues you described and your battery might have been perfectly normal..
The batteries are supposed to self-discharge over a few days and this is explained in the manual.
You should only fly with a freshly charged battery.
I returned it to DJI, they tested the battery and told me it was defective and sent out a new one.
That's no guarantee that the battery was faulty.
DJI frequently replace equipment without testing.

Reactions: WanderLost
That's completely normal.
There is a file size limit of approx 3.7 GB and if you record long continuous videos they will be broken into 3.7 GB segments.

That doesn't sound normal, but the cause would most likely be found in the recorded flights data.

Your battery had nothing to do with the issues you described and your battery might have been perfectly normal..
The batteries are supposed to self-discharge over a few days and this is explained in the manual.
You should only fly with a freshly charged battery.

That's no guarantee that the battery was faulty.
DJI frequently replace equipment without testing.
I know about the recording limit. I checked the file and it stopped at around 2.4 GB and then restarted.
Thanks for bringing the self-discharge to my attention. I thought I had a problem when the one battery would self-discharge faster than the other one I have.
If DJI told me they tested it and are replacing it and you say they don't always test things - I guess I'll never learn very much trying to diagnose problems if what they tell us is suspect.
I ONLY ever fly with fully charged batteries. Why would anyone fly a thousand dollar drone with partially discharged batteries? I like how DJI batteries show you the charge level as a mandatory part of the startup process.

UPDATE

In just one and half week, DJI has received my drone. They have tested and they offered me free repair.

The status of the repair was so fast (only 1 day to repair and ship it back).

BUT

I'm disappointed cause they didn't tell me the reason the drone has fallen. At least a tiny tiny information about it. Only that they will repair it free. I think professional companies like DJI should explain to you the reason the drone has fallen itself as they admit that it was their problem (because of the free repair). They say they repair the broken parts of the drone, but the problem is that the drone has been broken by the fall! The main problem that caused the drone to fall...have they found it??? I wonder what exactly they have checked so fast on their "quality control" as they write.

I've already sent them message and waiting for information. I will update you when I will have them.

The status of the repair was so fast (only 1 day to repair and ship it back).
They are probably sensing a replacement rather than repairing.
I think professional companies like DJI should explain to you the reason the drone has fallen itself as they admit that it was their problem (because of the free repair). ... The main problem that caused the drone to fall...have they found it??? I wonder what exactly they have checked so fast on their "quality control" as they write.
DJI aren't good at explaining the cause of a crash, and given the speedy turnaround, probably haven't even looked into it themselves.

Reactions: Yaros
They are probably sensing a replacement rather than repairing.

DJI aren't good at explaining the cause of a crash, and given the speedy turnaround, probably haven't even looked into it themselves.
But you don't buy something cheap. It's an expensive product. It's like a car, if it has a serious problem and it's on the guarantee, they will tell you what is the cause. I think Dji will loose clients from this behaviour. Cause like me, I won't trust them so much like now as I trusted them when I first bought the drone.

Whatever... let's see how the drone behaves when it will arrive :)

NEW UPDATE:

After contacting with DJI service team, the drone they have sent to me is a BRAND NEW drone and not repaired. Happy about this result.

But still, after pushing them to tell more information, they say that the only thing that can tell to me is that it was not pilot's fault. They can't give me more technical information.

Reactions: mavictk and Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair